Give Blood?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Give Blood?

Post by KenDowns » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:56 pm

I've always given blood once/twice a year, but have not done so since I started lifting.

What are the implications for the lifting schedule. I can guess I would not go from the blood center to the gym, but after that? One day off? Two? Three?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:05 pm

I've done it same day.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Give Blood?

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:17 pm

KenDowns wrote:I've always given blood once/twice a year, but have not done so since I started lifting.

What are the implications for the lifting schedule. I can guess I would not go from the blood center to the gym, but after that? One day off? Two? Three?
You might want to take it easy for a couple of days if you give blood during extremely hot or cold weather. But other than that, there should be no problem.

Good for you for giving blood. Not only are you doing the public good, but you might also be helping yourself:
It only takes about an hour out of your busy schedule and it may save a life. Donating blood may not only benefit the person who received the blood cells but may also improve the health of the donor. What are the
potential health benefits of donating blood?

While the most obvious health benefit of donating blood is the wonderful feeling derived from giving something vital to someone who needs it, the benefits of donating blood may extend far beyond this to having a positive impact on the donor's health.

Studies have shown that, in general, Americans tend to consume more iron on a daily basis than is necessary for good health. Ingestion of quantities of iron beyond a certain quantity can promote formation of free radicals in the body. Free radicals have justly earned their reputation for causing cellular changes which can disrupt normal cell function and increase the risk of certain chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer. This is more likely to be a problem for men and post menopausal women since women of child bearing age shed excess iron through regular menstrual cycles. If a person happens to be a red meat eater, the risk for iron overload can be even higher.

How does blood donation help with iron overload? Blood donation removes some of the excess iron which can cause free radical formation in the body. In fact, studies have shown that men who donate blood on a regular basis have a lower risk of heart disease. With heart disease being the number one cause of death in males, this is, indeed, an important health benefit of donating blood.
I try to donate blood at least once every three months. I last gave in late January, and will do it again in April. Heart disease runs in my family, so my motives aren't completely altruistic.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:44 pm

I've lifted the day after giving blood with no problems.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:44 pm

I've lifted the same day that I donated blood. However, if they are asking for double red cells, or platelets, I'd give it a day or so before lifting heavy.

Stefan 93

Post by Stefan 93 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:22 pm

You don't have enough blood, so your muscles don't have enough oxygen and you'll get fatigued earlier and you'll get an injury because you'll try to do normal work out...
While doing those exercises your brain and guts won't have blood at all and you won't digest some of the food that's in there and you'll lose conciousness while holding some heavy barbell that will fall on your head and something horrible may happen.
Well, it is possibleImage
Wait for a couple of days!