Lower Back Pain

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

pl_walker
n00b
n00b

Lower Back Pain

Post by pl_walker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:22 pm

One thing I haven't been able to track is the cause of my lower back pain. This is not in the "small" of my back, although I have had pain there and am familiar with the causes. This is about 2-3 inches below my belt line. It is a pain across my lower-lower back; really at the top of my butt. It stretches most of the way across my backside and can make sitting very uncomfortable in the evenings (I sit at work).

I know what it is not. It is not a pilonidal (sp?) cyst. My son has had to deal with that, and I'm certain it isn't that (thanks to my wife's inspection). According to her, it may look slightly bruised, but she can't tell. Of course, I don't generally bruise.

I'm reluctant to go to the doctor and just say, "My butt hurts". :) So, anyone have any suggestions as to what it may be and what may be causing it?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Lower Back Pain

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:12 pm

pl_walker wrote:One thing I haven't been able to track is the cause of my lower back pain. This is not in the "small" of my back, although I have had pain there and am familiar with the causes. This is about 2-3 inches below my belt line. It is a pain across my lower-lower back; really at the top of my butt. It stretches most of the way across my backside and can make sitting very uncomfortable in the evenings (I sit at work).

I know what it is not. It is not a pilonidal (sp?) cyst. My son has had to deal with that, and I'm certain it isn't that (thanks to my wife's inspection). According to her, it may look slightly bruised, but she can't tell. Of course, I don't generally bruise.

I'm reluctant to go to the doctor and just say, "My butt hurts". :) So, anyone have any suggestions as to what it may be and what may be causing it?
It sounds a lot like sciatica, especially if it feels worse when you are sitting. Is the pain on one or both sides of your butt? If it's sciatica it's usually on one side only.

jtw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jtw » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:00 am

Originating in your sacrum area? What type of pain: is it a pinching, or a bruised feeling, or achy? How is your posture at work, and what do you sit on?

pl_walker
n00b
n00b

Post by pl_walker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:14 am

Yeah, that seems to be the area. It is mostly dull and occasionally a light burning. Haven't had any tingling or extension down my legs, but aside from that, I think sciatica sounds like the culprit.

My posture is definitely something I am working on, but in some ways it seems fixing pain in one area involves pain in another. I sit in a regular office chair, but I have weak, unused muscles. This current pain, though, didn't start until after exercising began. At first, I thought it was just surface abrasions or light bruising from situps and/or incline situps. I dropped those from my workout for a while but the pain didn't go away.

It is definitely worse when sitting and during the standing motion (again, pointing to sciatica), and one of the first things I noticed when I started losing a bigger number of pounds was that my gut seemed to be sagging more (I seemed to lose around my diaphram area first). I think that may have played a role in putting more stress on my spine or hips or whatever. For now, the pain isn't preventing me from doing things. I'm hoping as I continue to los weight that it gets better.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:42 am

This ties in to what we've been talking about on the other thread. Sit ups can cause or contribut to low back pain, especially starting out. They use muscles that anchor at the lower spine. If you've agravated that you may experience the pain you describe. Switching to planks may improve the situation. You need to strengthen all your muscles gradually and intellegently. Use core exercises that work stability rather than dynamic exercises for your core. Be careful of exercises like back extentions as it's too easy to go too far and that can also aggravate your back.