Using heavy dumbells from bench work

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Using heavy dumbells from bench work

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:11 am

I have adjustable dbs and the ends are not soft, so using the technique of bouncing them off my knees is uncomfortable to say the least.

What technique do you all use? I'd like to bench maybe 3x6 with dbs but the mount and dismount strain my shoulders more than the rountine itself. Or should I just work more on the shoulders with high reps so this part is easier?

Keep in mind I have no spotter.

tia

Stefan 93

Post by Stefan 93 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:33 am

Well, if you can't mount and dismount (which lasts for only 1 second) you'll get injured fast with that bench if you don't strengthen your shoulders.
Maybe work shoulders with low reps because you need more strength not endurance for this...

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:25 am

personally, all my dumbell pressing (should, bench, incline, whatever) is done for high reps, I never usually do a set with less than 6. One reason is the heavy dumbells are a nightmare to get into position, especially on an incline, the other reason is I see dumbell pressing as more of a mass builder type thing anyway so working up to a heavy max isn't really necessary.

That's just my own personal opinion, I'm sure others will disagree

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:02 am

Yeah, DB's can be a pain. I usually can get them on my knees when on the bench, bend over, grab them close to my shoulder with arms bent holding them, raise up the back and bring them up to shoulders for start, but there is an equipment out there, forget the name, that is similar to a J hook, that you can put on a barbell, and it's lower hook allows you to put in a DB. It's great. You use two hands to put the DB's in the hooks, lay down on the bench and raise them out of the hooks and do your exercise.
Tim

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Using heavy dumbells from bench work

Post by KenDowns » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:08 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:I have adjustable dbs and the ends are not soft, so using the technique of bouncing them off my knees is uncomfortable to say the least.
I had the same issue when I was starting out. I would curl the dumbbells to my shoulders before I sat, and then ease back onto the bench. Thinking back, this was probably asking for a back injury, but I got away with it.

Eventually I decided to go with the barbell, mostly because I realized my son could spot for me.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:52 am

TimD wrote:Yeah, DB's can be a pain. I usually can get them on my knees when on the bench, bend over, grab them close to my shoulder with arms bent holding them, raise up the back and bring them up to shoulders for start, but there is an equipment out there, forget the name, that is similar to a J hook, that you can put on a barbell, and it's lower hook allows you to put in a DB. It's great. You use two hands to put the DB's in the hooks, lay down on the bench and raise them out of the hooks and do your exercise.
Tim
Power Hooks.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks!
I'll definitely check out the hooks.

Stefan, yea, my shoulders lag. But maybe more my technique, trying to put dumbbells down with arms extended. I can press in decline much more than it's comfortable to hold while rotating shoulders.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:56 pm

If I remember correctly, Kenny has the dumbbell hooks.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:04 am

bob wrote:If I remember correctly, Kenny has the dumbbell hooks.
They're on their way.
I may give a review.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:35 am

You don't have to put the DB handles directly on the knees. I sit on the end of the bench, pick the DBs up off the floor from either side, and then hold them a little obliquely, with the side of the plates resting on my knees, and the ends of the handles just outside the knees. Then I rock back and use my knees to kick the DBs into position. After the last rep I lower them to my abdomen, then give a little kick with my legs to help me sit up. I don't do much heavy DB benching, but for what I have, that's worked well for me.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:42 pm

shhhh.
I'm on a gym buying spree and the wife is going along with it!

(part of the problem with that method for me is on decline I need my feet locked under and no way to bump up the DBs.)

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:28 am

I have the elite powerblock set. Wow those are nice. They go up to 135 pounds each.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:25 am

bob wrote:If I remember correctly, Kenny has the dumbbell hooks.
Bob,

Wow, what a memory! Yea, I have the Powet Hooks.

Power Hooks Attached To Bands

Another thing I do with the hooks is to hook them in power rack and then attatch bands from the bands to the top of the power rack, reverse band loaning.

The reverse band loading provide you with accomodating resistance. As you lower the dumbbells the band deloads the bar.

As you raise the dumbbell, you increase the load on the bar.

You can perform a multitude of exercises this way: Bench Press, Press, Step Ups, Rows, etc.

Hooking The Bands To The Bell

Attaching the bands to the bells requires some experimentation. I use Olympic plated loaded dumbbells.

I loop the band around the upper part of the power rack. I then attach the band to each side of the bell and tighten down the collars. I usually sandwich the band between two plates.

Kenny Croxdale