When to stop a set: deadlift, row, squat, press

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

When to stop a set: deadlift, row, squat, press

Post by KenDowns » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:00 pm

It seems to me some exercises are easy for even a beginner to judge when to stop a set: when you can't do anymore (or just before). This applies to bench, pullups, curls, triceps pushups, and I'm sure many other.

But for others, I'm not so sure. Particularly deadlift, row, squat and press.

Assuming I'm doing 4x6, I will stop before the last rep if I find myself unable to keep form.

My reasoning is easiest to explain on deadlift. It seems for this one that you can get in a lot of trouble if you start arching or hyper-extending your back. Since it trains the back, I figure my back is fatiguing during the exercise. If I can't keep it straight, I figure it's worn out, so I stop.

Is this correct? Is there some other way you are supposed to judge when to stop on these?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: When to stop a set: deadlift, row, squat, press

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:12 pm

KenDowns wrote:Assuming I'm doing 4x6, I will stop before the last rep if I find myself unable to keep form.
That's what you should be doing of you're working towards failure in your sets. The last set should be fairly difficult, and you're not required to complete the same number of reps on the last set as you did on the previous sets. Once the last set seems easy, it's time to up the weight.