Upper arm?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Stefan 93

Upper arm?

Post by Stefan 93 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi guys, what exercises should we do for front part of upper arm?
You have on your site DB Curl, DB Hammer Curl and DB Concentration Curl and their targets are different, but they all do the same 3 muscles.
Do we need to do all of them or we can do only 2? Image

jtw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Upper arm?

Post by jtw » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Biceps, or anterior deltoid? Those are just variations on curls with slightly different emphases. You don't *need* to do any of them, but do the ones you want. Hopefully you are using them as strictly auxiliary work on top of your other compound lifts.

Stefan 93

Post by Stefan 93 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:05 am

For biceps, brachialis and brachioradialis.
I'm using all compounds except those dips and pull-ups... I'll soon buy that thing which we place between rooms, that thing which we can move...
But, anyway, what curls should we do? I think that hammer curls are very good. When I added them my brachioradialis has grown...

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:03 pm

fwiw, I do hammer because they seem to help most with my grip, while also hitting the bicep as much as I need to given the other compounds we do.

that thing between rooms is a hallway.

ok, that is ESL humor.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:38 pm

jtw wrote: You don't *need* to do any of them, but do the ones you want.
Just like you dont' *need* to squat, deadlift or bench.

If you want big arms, or arms that fit the rest of your body, I suggest you do them. 4-6 sets once or twice a week.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:31 am

It's really going to depend on experience. For a beginner you don't really need to do much of that. Nygmen gives you the right formula if you are more advanced. That's about what I do on a bulk. For biceps anyway. You really need to do some of your back work with an underhand grip too. that really helps.

Stefan 93

Post by Stefan 93 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:35 am

Thanks, I'm going to buy that bar for pull-ups in a couple of days...

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:39 am

Stefan 93 wrote:Hi guys, what exercises should we do for front part of upper arm?
Just remember what percentage of your body is represented by the front part of your upper arm, and proportion your workout time accordingly!
Stefan 93 wrote:You have on your site ...
It's not any more our site than it is yours. We are all just members of the forum like you. The site owner may look at the forum for all I know, but he doesn't participate. Unless he posts under a secret identity.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:43 am

If you can afford it, get a chin up bar with a variety of grip options.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:57 am

ya chin ups are good, but remember they are an exercise for your BACK. While having a big strong back should definitely be a priority, adding more back exercises is not the way to bring up lagging arms. Do some curls, barbell, dumbell, hammer etc. You don't have to do every kind every workout but pick one and do a few sets of it at the end of your workout.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:11 am

Well, look at the motion your arms make when you do something like a chin up. Notice the elbow flexion..... It's that same movement that happens in curl variations.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:38 am

Ironman wrote:Well, look at the motion your arms make when you do something like a chin up. Notice the elbow flexion..... It's that same movement that happens in curl variations.
agreed, but when I do chin ups it's not my arms that fatigue most, so doing curls after to work them til i can't work them no mo' seems sensible

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:01 pm

robertscott wrote:
Ironman wrote:Well, look at the motion your arms make when you do something like a chin up. Notice the elbow flexion..... It's that same movement that happens in curl variations.
agreed, but when I do chin ups it's not my arms that fatigue most, so doing curls after to work them til i can't work them no mo' seems sensible
Yea, there's nothing wrong with that. But the previous post seemed to imply that underhand back exercises aren't going to do anything for biceps.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:10 am

I didn't realise how much chins worked my biceps until I swapped pull ups for chins/parallel grip. My biceps are as pumped as they get after doing curls, they are definitely a weak point in my vertical pull movement. I'm expecting a lot of growth in the next month or so (I'm sure I notice a difference already but probably psychological).

Also, I didn't think it would get to a point where a bar with that many grips would excite me so much, never seen anything like it!

Stefan 93

Post by Stefan 93 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:57 am

And your shoulders are more worked now!
But your back is doing nothing probably...