Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

adirag
n00b
n00b

how can i equalize the inequal muscules

Post by adirag » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:43 pm

some one guide me please...
I'm a 27yr.s male.
i have my chest plates unequal in dimension.
the area of my left chest plate is smaller than right's.
And the underline, thickness of muscules too unequal.
suggest me some suitable exercise to attain the equilibrium.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:24 am

Well you can add some one arm dumbbell bench press for the weak side. The thing is, it might not be quite so simple. If you are like me, there isn't going to be much you can do. On the left side, my pecs are a little bigger. On the right side my anterior delt is bigger. Genetically, I have a different dominant muscle on each side.

Another example, would be my forearms taking a lot of the load in elbow flexion. Especially my flxor capri radialis. So because of that my forearms are huge, almost as big as my biceps. I actually have to do some curls with a slack wrist so it only hits the biceps.

So it really depends on the rest of your muscles. If it's just your chest that is uneven, than the one arm presses will work.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:37 am

I had something similar going on when I was younger. One side of my chest rib cage was actually concave. It still is. Now that I actually have pecs, and that's only been in the last few years, and most people here would say I still don't have any, it's not as noticeable and I hardly every give it a thought. My point is, it's simply something to work around but not something to keep you from doing anything. Single arm work is the way to even out your imbalances.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:10 am

If I can add a follow-up, I've been wondering if it is necessary to try to work out imbalances. I am stronger on my left side than my right, and this seems to be from head to toe. I've been wondering, if I just stick with the big 6 compounds, will this just "work itself out", or will it persist.

I've also been wondering how much I care, and if I should care?

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:16 am

Left/right imbalances can cause injuries, even more than front/back imbalances. I'm sure I have a link someplace to a study, but the body compensates for imbalances, and issues can should up where you don't expect them. It's most important in the lower body. For example, an imbalance in your gait can actually impact on your neck.

However, people working in asymetric sports are able to compenate effectively. http://saveyourself.ca/181

Stefan 93

Post by Stefan 93 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm

Symetry is the most important thing! When women look at you they look if you are symetrical because that means you have good genes. When you go to beach you'll recall this.

DavidMcF
Novice
Novice

Post by DavidMcF » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:15 pm

So my left arm is slightly smaller than my right - would just adding an extra rep or two onto each set on that side slowly fix this?

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:07 pm

BTW Cressey wrote a bit about postural imbalances (again):

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... ed_in_2010

Look under point #3.
stuward wrote: However, people working in asymetric sports are able to compenate effectively. http://saveyourself.ca/181
An interesting article.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:20 pm

DavidMcF wrote:So my left arm is slightly smaller than my right - would just adding an extra rep or two onto each set on that side slowly fix this?
No do an extra set or two with the left arm. Say you are doing 3 sets of barbell curls. Follow that up with 2 sets of dumbbell curls for only the left arm.

DavidMcF
Novice
Novice

Post by DavidMcF » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:55 am

Alriiight thanks Ironman! :smile:

Incidentally would you recommend barbell curls over dumbbell curls? Since you mentioned them - or is that just to use as an example
I thought that if you used a bar the other arm could compensate for weaknesses.

This may be obvious but I am a bit dretarded

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:31 pm

DavidMcF wrote:Alriiight thanks Ironman! :smile:

Incidentally would you recommend barbell curls over dumbbell curls? Since you mentioned them - or is that just to use as an example
I thought that if you used a bar the other arm could compensate for weaknesses.

This may be obvious but I am a bit dretarded
That was just an example. I tend to prefer barbell curls, but they are of the same value as dumbbell. Dumbbell curls are a little better when you have an imbalance. It's not real important though, if you do a couple extra sets for the weak arm.

You could even skip curls altogether for the right arm, and just do a few sets for the left. The right side will be fine if you are doing some back work underhand.

DavidMcF
Novice
Novice

Post by DavidMcF » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:23 pm

Great, thanks man :)

adirag
n00b
n00b

but tell me some thing to with dips

Post by adirag » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:46 am

could you please tell me an alternative with dips for my inequality problem?
i have a U type horizantal dip frame.
can i get my left side chest plate more wider and longer than the right's by placing my left palm in a different way on the frame?

Jungledoc

Re: but tell me some thing to with dips

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:11 am

adirag wrote:could you please tell me an alternative with dips for my inequality problem?
i have a U type horizantal dip frame.
can i get my left side chest plate more wider and longer than the right's by placing my left palm in a different way on the frame?
How about dumbbell bench press? Then just do more sets with the left side. Remember you may not be able to make much change in width or length. More likely increase the thickness or bulk of the muscle.