Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Ben83
n00b
n00b

Left Shoulder Injury

Post by Ben83 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:55 am

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry if I'm reposting a topic, I have tried the search function to look for similar posts, though to no avail.

Long story short...

27 years old, been training on & off since I was 17. But have been very consistent for the past 2 years.

I injured my left shoulder though couldn't pin point how.

When I do dumbell shoulder press, i get a niggling pain in my left shoulder. its located just forward of where the boney bit that sticks out on your shoulder - im assuming this is where my clavical connects?

With my left arm raised outwards (laterally) and i rotate my arm to point my thumb at the floor... my shoulder grinds and clicks and... it's just generally uncomfortable.
Also, when i drive, if i try to steer with my left hand, as i turn right and rotate the wheel with my left hand, my shoulder clicks, pops and just generally hurts...

I've been doing months of light weight strengthening for my shoulders (rotator cuff exercises). I avoided shoulder press and exercises that could sheer the joint... all on my chiropractors advice.

I was told recently that it may be due to having scar tissue build up in the joint/area that is preventing my shoulder from sitting in the socket properly. Hence, i would need to erode/remove that said scar tissue to 'cure' my self of the injury... Am I being sold BS?
Apparently it would involve rapid small knocks to my shoulder and then 'erosion techniques'... from a Physiotherapist who happens to work in the room next door...

Beyond this, i wonder if my training technique is partly to blame.
On flat (barbell) bench press, i will lower the bar until it touches my chest, my grip is such that my forearms are almost always pointing vertically.
On Shoulder press, I drop the weight to about an inch from touching my shoulder (fists drop about level with my ears).

A bit of an essay and i apologise for that...Just thought i'd give as much as history as might be necessary...

Has anyone had a similar injury? How did you get better? Is this chiropractor just trying to squeeze some cash out of me?...

THANK YOU!!!! :)

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:16 pm

Yea, I had something very similar to that. It was my rotator cuff. You should try not doing any upper body pushing exercises for a week or two. Then start adding in internal and external rotation. At the bottom of this page.
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

You might have some kind of imbalance and need more back work too. It depends on whether or not your shoulders are slumped forward.

A lot of people also benefit from transverse extension.

If it doesn't get better, you'll probably have to see a doctor about it.

Stefan 93

Post by Stefan 93 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:21 am

You injured your supraspinatus. Minor injuries need 2 months to heal completely.
I think you're not being sold BS... It is injured only because you overused it.
When it is healed copmletely:
- stop lowering weight so low;
- start doing push-ups (weighted);
- don't do those rows.
Until then stop doing many exercises. You can't even do lunges because your shoulders work as stabilisers!

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:42 am

If it's been a few months now, you need to see a physiotherapist because it will not get better on it's own at this stage. I was able to get over mine with electrostimulus and exercise. Others may need other therapies.

Common reasons for this injury are dropping too low in the bench press with the elbows out, Shoulder pressing and bicep curls in the same workout, chest flys with too much weight, poor posture (shoulders rounded), etc.

If it's just been a short time you may be able to rehab it on your own with ice and heat appropriate exercise. You need to strengthen all the other muscles of the shoulder which means training internal and external rotations and extensions as Ironman said, and lots of rowing.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:44 am

Wow, what a coincidence! Yesterday I was diagnosed with SLAP tears on both of my shoulders (the right one is more severe). As someone who's doing olympic weightlifting, I'm not sure if it's the lifts that are causing the injury (particularly the jerk because it's painful for me everytime I jerk). Now the doctor advised me to get an MRI.

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:53 am

I think a lot of the reason so many get this is the lack of rowing, especially focusing on scapula retraction.
Until then stop doing many exercises. You can't even do lunges because your shoulders work as stabilisers!
I would disregard this advice. Your shoulder will heal faster if you maintain activity anywhere that doesn't cause pain. If you have to modify an exercise to accommodate, then do it. For example, I had a problem with back squats since I couldn't get my elbow in tight, so I widened my grip.
start doing push-ups (weighted)
I don't know about the rest of you but I couldn't do more than a couple of push ups until my injury was almost completely healed. I agree that it's better for you shoulder in the long run but it's not going to help you rehab.

Stefan 93

Post by Stefan 93 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:47 am

stuward wrote:I think a lot of the reason so many get this is the lack of rowing, especially focusing on scapula retraction.
Aren't rows dangerous? Everywhere everyone says it destroys tendons with every repetition...
stuward wrote:I would disregard this advice. Your shoulder will heal faster if you maintain activity anywhere that doesn't cause pain. If you have to modify an exercise to accommodate, then do it. For example, I had a problem with back squats since I couldn't get my elbow in tight, so I widened my grip.
I haven't made up those advices. I found them on internet when I had that injury.
Supraspinatus is holding the arms in sockets and that's why you can't do even lower body exercises.
If he tries out every exercise to see if he has pain there is chance that he'll ruin that muscle.
stuward wrote:I don't know about the rest of you but I couldn't do more than a couple of push ups until my injury was almost completely healed. I agree that it's better for you shoulder in the long run but it's not going to help you rehab.
I meant he starts doing them after he's completely healed...

Ben83, if you stop doing exercises for 2-3 months, you won't lose muscles (at least not much of them).

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Maybe you are thinking of upright rows. Those cause some people problems. Other rows are just fine. Pulling things towards you is a typical movement people do quite often. I don't think even upright rows destroy tendons though.