Leg Asymmetry, imbalances, injuries, corrections

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Leg Asymmetry, imbalances, injuries, corrections

Post by KenDowns » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:20 pm

I've read some comments in various threads lately about muscle imbalances and injuries. When I was doing Bulgarians I had a serious disadvantage on my right side. So I decided to do some isolations and try to work out what was going on.

Upper body - no differences or inconclusive.

Lower body - big difference. Two exercises favored my left. These were leg extensions and Bulgarian split squats, which I believe means my quads and glutes are stronger on the left.

For hamstring curls I came out almost twice as strong (in terms of rep count) on the RIGHT side, 12 - 7.

So, first question, is this what they mean by a muscle imbalance that can lead to injury?

Then I thought about the only time I've ever actually had something go wrong during an exercise. It was about three weeks ago, it was on squat, and it was my left lower back, almost down on my hip. Why just my left side? Coincidence, or would the left/right difference explain this?

Finally, I read an article by an MD that said not to ignore these, and that these are what isolation machines are best for - do leg extensions and Bulgarians, but only on the right side to strengthen it. And do hamstring curls only on the left, to strengthen that. Is that the usual remedy?

stuward

Re: Leg Asymmetry, imbalances, injuries, corrections

Post by stuward » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:15 am

Yes, that will work. Also check your glutes. It's more likely that you are not activating you glutes on one side and you are compensating by using your hamstrings more on that side. Do 1 legged glute bridges. Add weight as you need to strengthen.