Madcow Intermediate 5x5 results

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

kidkurious
Novice
Novice

Madcow Intermediate 5x5 results

Post by kidkurious » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:56 am

For those who have followed this program before, what were your results?
what were your starting 5RM's, and the resulting 5RM's?

How many weeks were you able to run before stalling?

Will I be able to get to a 315 bench on this program? my current 5RM is 225.
Or will I eventually need to move on to a more advanced program?

The program I'm referring to is this one:
http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Sampson7

Re: Madcow Intermediate 5x5 results

Post by Sampson7 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:29 pm

kidkurious wrote:For those who have followed this program before, what were your results?

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm
I started it once, but never really got going with it, but looking at the weights you have listed, I think you would do better on the Bill Starr advanced routine. The routine I switched to after a short try of the Bill Starr routine was sort of like the advanced routine, in that it includes 5 working sets of 5 reps for the main exercises. I am still using a variation of this, and it is working quite well.

kidkurious
Novice
Novice

Post by kidkurious » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:53 pm

Sampson7 wrote:
kidkurious wrote:For those who have followed this program before, what were your results?

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I started it once, but never really got going with it, but looking at the weights you have listed, I think you would do better on the Bill Starr advanced routine. The routine I switched to after a short try of the Bill Starr routine was sort of like the advanced routine, in that it includes 5 working sets of 5 reps for the main exercises. I am still using a variation of this, and it is working quite well.
Awesome, may I ask what variation you're doing? what numbers have you achieved so far?
I'm in the middle of the 1st week of the intermediate version right now. Depending on how difficult things seem on week4-5, I may switch to the advanced version.

Sampson7

Post by Sampson7 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:00 pm

What I am doing is just a 5x5 split. See the most recent post in my Journal Discussion. I've been doing this or close to this since October of 2009. The exercise distribution as varied a bit but generally the same exercises have been used. I was at the following when I started:
Squat:200x5
bench:200x1
DL: 320x1

I was stuck for quite a while and have had a hard time adding to the bench and DL, but I added 100 pounds to the squat since I started. I'm still only at 215 for the bench and 340 for the DL. However, I am currently gaining again in the DL and bench, after recently adding singles or attempts at the end.

Sampson7

Post by Sampson7 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:10 pm

I've been stuck for a while, so starting today, I'm switching to the Reg Park 5x5 model for sets, reps and increases.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:47 pm

That's a fairly long time to stay on linear programs. Maybe it's time for some form of periodization.

What else have you tried to break the plateau? Resetting? Variations in your rep-set plan?

I looked at your log, and I can't tell if you are doing sets-across or ramping. Some lifts you ramp the whole way, and some you ramp to your final 3 sets, which are across. It looks like you go to or fairly close to failure. Some lifts have some sets that you finish, then a couple of sets of 2 or 3. Changing your recovery plan may help as well. Stop 1 or 2 reps shy of the point when form will suffer or your lifts slow.

There are several potential strategies for breaking plateaus. Decreasing the weight and upping the volume for a few weeks works for some (this is often called "resetting"). Stopping the "stuck" lifts completely for anywhere from a couple to several weeks works for others. You can replace those lifts with what you would otherwise consider assistance lifts for that movement (lunges in place of squats, for instance). If you're doing 5x5 sets-across you might want to drop the volume and increase the weight. What doesn't usually work is just hammering away at what isn't working.

That all being said, why not get away from 5x5 and see what happens? Texas Method, or (my personal favorite) 5/3/1 are good programs. Also, Lou Schuller's books have great workouts, and comprise a periodized approach. If you get NROL and cycle through his programs (really they are by Alwyn Cosgrove), that might work out well for you. They are 12-week cycles that you can pick an choose from with emphasis varying from strength to hypertrophy to fat loss.

Sampson7

Post by Sampson7 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:56 pm

What are the details of 5/3/1 or what is a good site to go to for the details?

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 pm

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... e_strength" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sampson7

Post by Sampson7 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:26 pm

I found another article earlier and I'm going to give 5/3/1 a try.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:57 am

Sampson7 wrote:I found another article earlier and I'm going to give 5/3/1 a try.
Buy the e-book. It has lots of good information, the details of the program, and rewards Jim Wendler for his work.

Sampson7

Post by Sampson7 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:08 pm

I'll be doing the strength building assistance workout with this. I plan on getting the e-book, just can't right now.