Does Glucosamine work?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Does Glucosamine work?

Post by Paperclip » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:53 am

Does any of you have any experience with Glucosamine? I'm currently interested in TGC (transdermal glucosamine cream) MediFl*x which is sold here in Indonesia. I'm wondering if it would be effective for treating shoulder and knee "problems".

I think I'm gonna buy it anyway effective or not. It's just nice to hear some opinion from other people!

jps
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Does Glucosamine work?

Post by jps » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:51 am

I don't have any experience the transdermal cream, but the glucosamine/chondrotin pill combo works wonders for my knees. I added fish oil several years ago, and now most of my wrist pain is gone as well. I have always used the generic Sams brand.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:40 am

Paperclip wrote:Does any of you have any experience with Glucosamine? I'm currently interested in TGC (transdermal glucosamine cream) MediFl*x which is sold here in Indonesia. I'm wondering if it would be effective for treating shoulder and knee "problems".
Paperclip,

"Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." Benjamin Franklin

That is one of my mottos. I am a cynic.

Most of the hype about supplements is crap. However...

Glucosamine is the real deal.

My former wife has a knee problem. She had some knee surgery in 2001. She was told she would have to have knee replacement surgery in about 5 years, in 2006.

She started taking glucosamine, recommended by her doctor. Now in 2011, she has very few problems with her knee.

Glucoasmine for me.

Due to some overly agressive training (translation: being a dumbass), I developed some shoulder problems about two years ago. After hearing her story I started taking it a few months ago along with doing some shoulder rehab exercises.

Being a cynic, it took me almost two year to try it.

My shoulders feel 80% better and keep improving. So, yea glucosamine works!

While the shoulder rehab exercise have played a role in my rehab, about 20-30% is my guess. I'd say the glucosamine has been the majory factor, contributing 70-80%.

Shoulder Rehab Exercises--"Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing." Einstein

Most of my rehab exercises are based on my research combined with "trial and error".

One of the best shoulder training program I found was Joe Demarco's "Shoulder Shocker". http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... er_shocker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The mini band pull aparts has done wonders for my shoulders.

KB Halo

Another effective rehab exercise that I found was the Kettlebell Halo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhPKoas303A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not sure if any of these exercise will help you or not. However, I promise you one thing...

"It will never work if you never try it." Croxdale quote

Kenny Croxdale

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:49 am

Thank you for the replies guys. Really good to hear that it works for you. About the transdermal glucosamine cream, they said that it increases the effectiveness of the drug and decreases the side effects (just like topical NSAIDs perhaps?).

BTW I had to change from olympic lifting to powerlifting because doing jerks gave me shoulder problems (the doctor said that I now probably have a SLAP tear). Thank god that benching appears to be OK so far.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:55 am

Paperclip wrote:Thank you for the replies guys. Really good to hear that it works for you. About the transdermal glucosamine cream, they said that it increases the effectiveness of the drug and decreases the side effects (just like topical NSAIDs perhaps?).
As far as I can tell, the other members had positive experiences with taking glucosamine internally as a supplement, not with applying it externally as a creme. It's a lot easier to absorb something through your mouth than through your skin. You might be comparing apples to oranges here.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:05 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote: As far as I can tell, the other members had positive experiences with taking glucosamine internally as a supplement, not with applying it externally as a creme. It's a lot easier to absorb something through your mouth than through your skin. You might be comparing apples to oranges here.
I know next to nothing about "topical vs oral" but according to the sheet of paper found inside the box, the little graph shows that topical use increases the blood glucosamine lvl as high as 600 ug/ml after 2 hours, approximately 6 times higher than oral application. It then tapers off but is still higher than oral. Probably apples vs oranges but I don't know.

The ingredients are water, glucosamine sulphate (10% w/w), natural oils, cetyl alcohol, methyl-paraben, and Neolone 950.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Paperclip wrote:I know next to nothing about "topical vs oral" but according to the sheet of paper found inside the box, the little graph shows that topical use increases the blood glucosamine lvl as high as 600 ug/ml after 2 hours, approximately 6 times higher than oral application. It then tapers off but is still higher than oral.
OK, I didn't know that - all the information about glucosamine that I'm familiar with is with the oral supplement form. If the creme is a better delivery method, it's something worth my looking into.

Let us know how the creme treatment goes. Did the MD who examined you think that your SLAP tear would do better with glucosamine and rehab than surgery?

Velcropop
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Velcropop » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:40 pm

I've been taking glucosamine on and off for the past couple of years in a bid to 1) aid in recovery from knee surgery (now -ies) and 2) promote joint health and prevent joint injury. Apparently the meniscus tear and general joint health in my left knee was quite bad when operated on over two years ago, but nowadays it feels as strong as ever and only ever shows any signs of frailty after extended periods of intense dynamic activity (e.g. a full game of football). Since then I have had issues with my right knee (operated on recently) but I suspect that injury was a long time coming as it was quite similar to my left. I'm currently taking glucosamine tablets every day in addition to rehab work.

I'm skeptical to drawing any causative links between taking glucosamine and my current joint health, particularly regarding my (L) knee. I'm young, relatively fit and healthy, and made sure I took rehab/post-rehab seriously, so how my knee feels today might be more attributable to those factors. That being said, every other joint in my body seems to cope pretty well with the stress I put it under. So many of my friends have shoulder issues from playing sport and/or upper body training whereas I rarely experience anything similar (I get general soreness but nothing I wouldn't expect).

Therefore, anecdotally speaking, I guess I could say that glucosamine does work, and I'm fairly certain my body is better off, and will be better off, for it.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:02 am

Stephen Johnson wrote: Let us know how the creme treatment goes. Did the MD who examined you think that your SLAP tear would do better with glucosamine and rehab than surgery?
Actually the doc didn't prescribe anything just asked me to get an MRI. But because MRI isn't cheap and I don't have the money anyway, I don't really know the extent of my injury, though I can feel that it seems minor (hope that I'm right).

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:02 am

Most of the research on glucosamine had been done with the combination with chostocondroitin.

Early studies were only done for a few weeks, and showed no difference from placebo. Later studies were done for several months, and showed a modest but positive benefit. Some people may respond to it better than others. I've taken the combination for several years with a couple of interruptions. When I stop, my knees get a little worse, and when I resume they get better.

Many medicines are absorbed through the skin or mucous membranes. Most people know about nicotine patches and estrogen patches. There are now quite a number of meds that can be given this way. With creams it is hard to control the dose precisely, which is why patches have become popular, plus they are neater to use.

Don't put too much faith in the package insert that comes with products produced in countries where there are no laws regulating what a drug manufacturer may claim for the product. The claims, along with the package insert may be a total lie. However, a google search on transdermal glucosamine turns up a Wikipedia article that cites some studies showing good transdermal absorption.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:03 am

Thank you for the information, doc!

Interestingly, the small piece of paper from my Voltaren gel box says that maximum blood plasma concentration of diclofenac after topical administration is 100 times lower than oral administration.