Treadmill between sets

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

pamelann
n00b
n00b

Treadmill between sets

Post by pamelann » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:51 pm

Quick question. I’m trying to lose weight and I’ve got quite a bit to lose. I’m not new to exercise, I used to powerlift and at one point in my life lost 120 lbs. Long story short my son was killed in a car accident and life got away from me. I’m trying to pick up the pieces and thought cleaning up my diet and getting back into a good exercise routine would be a good place to start.

My question is this, when I lift I usually jump on the treadmill in-between sets and I'm wondering if this is a good idea or not keeping in mind that weight loss is my main goal. I try to workout 6 days a week, 3 lifting, 3 cardio. Workouts are between 60-80 minutes long. I use a heart rate monitor to be sure I am getting the most out of my cardio workouts.

I am just wondering if jumping on the TM between sets is a good idea or not or if it really doesn't matter one way or another. I don't usually go too fast keeping it between 3-3.5 mph. I just want to lose this weight! I’m hoping that if I can build more muscle I may be able to lose more weight faster. I’ve only lost 23 lbs since January. It just seems to be coming off so slow for the amount of work I am putting into it. I feel like there is something I am missing here and just trying to optimize every workout.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Pam

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Re: Treadmill between sets

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Your diet will determine your weight, well, that and genetics, and then a bit of activity level... but mostly diet.
I hear that too much stready state cardio is detrimental to muscle building and fat loss, if not boring.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:02 pm

I would keep the weights and cardio separate.

pamelann
n00b
n00b

Post by pamelann » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:31 pm

My diet is good, nothing processed, good quality protiens, fats and carbs. I take in 1300-1400 calories, 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. Cardio is usually HIIT. Just can't seem to lose the way I think I should be. Hoping the new lifting routine will help.

Thanks, will keep the two separate.

Pam

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:26 am

pamelann wrote:Quick question. I’m trying to lose weight and I’ve got quite a bit to lose. I’m not new to exercise, I used to powerlift and at one point in my life lost 120 lbs. Long story short my son was killed in a car accident and life got away from me. I’m trying to pick up the pieces and thought cleaning up my diet and getting back into a good exercise routine would be a good place to start.
Hi Pam,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your son.

My question is this, when I lift I usually jump on the treadmill in-between sets and I'm wondering if this is a good idea or not keeping in mind that weight loss is my main goal.

"Jumping on thge treadmill in-between sets..."

That works. A personal trainer that I knew use that method with his clients successfully. He referred to is as:

"Cardio Sets"

What he would do is have his clients perform a couple of exercises such as a bench press and bent over row. Then he would immediately put then on the treadmill and have them run.

Purpose of "Cardio Sets

As you know, the purpose of HIIT is to elevate you heart rate for short periods. Supersetting exercises like the bench press and bent over rows elevate your heart rate but not to the extent that something like running does.

Thus, the purpose of "Cardo Sets" is to drive your heart rate into a higher zone, the 90% of heart rate max.

I try to workout 6 days a week, 3 lifting, 3 cardio.

That works, as Ironman noted.
Workouts are between 60-80 minutes long.
"You can train hard or long but not both." Vince Gironda

There is an indirect relationship to intensity and time. As intensity goes up, time goes down.

Also, research shows that after 60 minutes of exercise there is a diminised return. In other word, you lose more than you gain.

With that in mind, my suggestion is to keep your training sessions to 60 minutes or less.

I use a heart rate monitor to be sure I am getting the most out of my cardio workouts.
What is:

1) ...you heart rate max during your training session with HIIT?

2) ...that percentage is your highest heart rate?

3) ...you average heart rate during your training sessions? Most heart rate monitors will provide you with an average.

I am just wondering if jumping on the TM between sets is a good idea or not or if it really doesn't matter one way or another

"Method Change, Principles Remain The Same." Cosgrove

"Cardio Sets" is just a different method that applies the same HIIT principle.

Think of it as taking a different way home from work. You still end up at your home.

I don't usually go too fast keeping it between 3-3.5 mph. I just want to lose this weight! I’m hoping that if I can build more muscle I may be able to lose more weight faster.
Higher Intensity

What you might try is to push you're heart rate higher during your "Cardio Sets" and see how that works.

I’ve only lost 23 lbs since January. It just seems to be coming off so slow for the amount of work I am putting into it.
The Turtle Won The Race.

You've done well. One of the biggest keys to success is persistance.

I feel like there is something I am missing here and just trying to optimize every workout.
"Everything Wolrks But Nothing Works Forever." Unknow

As you know, the body adapts to change. Genaral Adpation Syndrome/Hans Selye

So, what you need to do is "trick" by changing training sessions up at times. Which makes is a bit of a chess game.

Kenny Croxdale

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:44 am

after Kenny, I feel futiloe, but

"I am just wondering if jumping on the TM between sets is a good idea or not or if it really doesn't matter one way or another. I don't usually go too fast keeping it between 3-3.5 mph"

is probably not HIIT for someone in any condition at all.

(I see Kenny also addresed that in a nicer way)

ps. I"m a newb

pamelann
n00b
n00b

Post by pamelann » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Thanks for all your input Kenny.

To answer your questions about my heart rate:

1)Max HR during my HIIT sessions is between 150-155
2)Average HR is 135
3)I use a polar HR monitor, currently my zone limits are: Zone 1 113-129, Zone 2 130-146, Zone 3 147-162

Right now I am not supposed to get my HR up over around 145. Without getting into too many details after losing my son I started experiencing heart palpitations due to depression/stress. Cardiologist put me on a med to help with them which lowers my heart rate quite a bit. My resting HR on the meds is 45, not normal for me. Thankfully the palpitations are harmless and my heart is in great shape otherwise. Since I started working out I’ve found I’m able to handle the bad days much better and I was given to go ahead to try weaning off the meds. So far so good. Hoping to be completely off them in a few weeks.

My max HR during what you call my cardio sets is only around 135. I am usually just on it long enough for my daughter to finish her set. I’ll try pushing it higher as I have some room to play there and see how it goes.

I’ve read about the diminished returns with longer training. Just hard to get it through my head that less might actually be more.

How long would you suggest I stay on the TM in between sets?

Oscar, thanks. I’m not in great shape. I let myself go to heck after my sons accident and am slowly working back to where I was.

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate your time.

Pam

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:29 pm

Also, you shouldn't say that you "just" lost 23 pounds in 12 weeks. That is a good rate of loss. You are doing very well. Keep it up!

pamelann
n00b
n00b

Post by pamelann » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks jungledoc. Would be nice if I could lose like I used. Back in the day all I had to do was think about losing weight and I did.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Pam, sorry about the loss of your son.
Unlike some of the others, except for Kenny, I think the use of TM's in between sets are fine. No need to push it quickly though, just keep it lighter/slower and do it just long enough to start your next set, say 60-120 secs. Reasons as are as Kenny described. Might not be the best choice if you are going back into PL, but in this case, your choice is fat loose/and conditioning. I think it's a good idea.
Tim

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:43 pm

TimD wrote:Pam, sorry about the loss of your son.
Unlike some of the others, .
Tim
seriously, just ignore me
I'm learning.
Tact and exercise both.

I may put jump rope in between sets fwiw.

pamelann
n00b
n00b

Post by pamelann » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 am

Thanks Tim. I'm not going to be getting back into powerlifting, it's something my son did with me and I think that chapter is closed. It was very hard getting back into everything without him to workout with. And as you said right now weight loss and getting back into shape are my main goals.

I'm going to stick with the TM then for now. Thanks for you input.

Oscar I think you you misunderstood what Tim said I don't believe he was referring to my son when he started "unlike some others" rather the use of the TM. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. The 3-3.5 is just how fast I go when I'm lifting. I bring it up higher when I am just doing my cardio. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't being counter productive in my efforts to lose weight.

Thanks again everyone.

Pam

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:21 am

pamelann wrote:Thanks for all your input Kenny.

To answer your questions about my heart rate:

1)Max HR during my HIIT sessions is between 150-155
Pam,

Your definitely getting you heart rate up there.

2)Average HR is 135
That is the answer to #3. My question is what percentage is 150-155 of your heart rate max? 3)
I use a polar HR monitor, currently my zone limits are: Zone 1 113-129, Zone 2 130-146, Zone 3 147-162
What is the reference to the "Zone". I assume it means your percentage of heart rate max, correct?
Right now I am not supposed to get my HR up over around 145.

That information changes the picture. Usually, I'd tell you to drive your heart rate up there. However, that doesn't appear to be a good idea.

So, you HIIT heart rate of 150-155 is above what the doctor recommended.

Without getting into too many details after losing my son I started experiencing heart palpitations due to depression/stress. Cardiologist put me on a med to help with them which lowers my heart rate quite a bit. My resting HR on the meds is 45, not normal for me

Karvonen Formula

A low resting heart rate changes you heart rate changes training percentages. That meaning, you heart rate has to go higher to achieve a higher heart rate max percentage.

The Karvonen Formula Calculator let you dial it in. http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HOWEVER...

The medication appears to have changed your resting heart rate...and the doctor want you to keep it under 145...so, I am not sure what to tell you.

Punting

I am punting the ball over to Jungledoc on that. He can advise you MUCH better than I can
My max HR during what you call my cardio sets is only around 135. I am usually just on it long enough for my daughter to finish her set. I’ll try pushing it higher as I have some room to play there and see how it goes.
You heart rate and method of timing out you Cardio Sets (your daughter finishing her sets) sounds good.
I’ve read about the diminished returns with longer training. Just hard to get it through my head that less might actually be more.
Goldielocks And The Three Bears

It no different than that fable.

One bed was too hard. One bed was too soft. One bed was JUST RIGHT. :)

It no different with training. Too much isn't good for you. Too little doesn't do much for you. However, the right amount is JUST RIGHT.

You thinking (which I understand) is more is better...which it isn't.

Another solution

If you feel you must workout 60 minutes, break it down.

Perform a 30 minute workout. Rest 30 minutes and then perform another 30 minute workout.

The 30 minute rest period allows you to recovery. This insures your second workout will be performed with more intensity.

In performing a high intensity 60 minute non-stop workout, the intensity of the last 30 minutes drops like a rock. You are out of gas.

Breaking it down into two 30 minute program with a 30 minutes rest period amount to refueling your gas tank. You end up going a lot further.

How long would you suggest I stay on the TM in between sets?
I'd say stay with your present method...based on the information you provided about your doctor's recommendation.

Kenny Croxdale
Last edited by Kenny Croxdale on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:24 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:Your diet will determine your weight, well, that and genetics, and then a bit of activity level... but mostly diet.
I hear that too much stready state cardio is detrimental to muscle building and fat loss, if not boring.
Oscar,

Your provide some good information.

You're right, diet is about 80% of it.

Picking the right parents (genetics) is even more important. Next time I am picking rich parents with great genetics.

Kenny Croxdale

JoeB
Novice
Novice

Post by JoeB » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:10 am

I have gone from 231lbs to 185lbs with a 33" waist in a little under a year by lifting first and then doing a half hour on the bike after my workout.