Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

What do you do for triceps?

Post by RobertB » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:04 am

Hi All,

Quite a straight up poll sort of question - I'm just wondering where you feel your best tricep results come from. I went a fairly long time not doing isolation, and while I think that is a good approach for someone on something like starting strength/stronglifts I think later on the triceps are an area that should be specifically targetted.

However, I've always been dubious on how to train them, I've gone through a few methods, dips off a bench, and never felt the angle was correct (ended up sharing the load with my chest a fair bit, not good before a bench day for e.g), I've tried kickbacks with a light weight to prevent poor form, but never really felt right etc.

These days I do a cable overhead pull - this seems to be decent, I do pretty high rep (3x15) and this seems to be the first time I've truly felt them working.

So... what do you do? did you have similar issues in regards to not feeling right with most tricep stuff? what exercises did you feel were crappy, and did you ever try a new one and think "jackpot!" and stick with it ever since?

Cheers
Last edited by RobertB on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: What do you do for triceps?

Post by robertscott » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:25 am

cable pushdowns are a staple for me, most other things bother my elbows. You can vary your grip to put emphasis on different parts of the tricep. The other exercise I like is called a PJR pullover (i think). It's like a cross between a skullcrusher and a pullover. Targets the long head.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:08 am

I do P bar dips and close grip benches pretty regularly, and have really never needed anything other than that. Usually use them with curl grip chins and it seems to work fine. Been doing those for around 50 years now.
Tim

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:14 am

TimD wrote:I do P bar dips and close grip benches pretty regularly, and have really never needed anything other than that. Usually use them with curl grip chins and it seems to work fine. Been doing those for around 50 years now.
Tim
Tim's right.

The real work load is placed on the triceps in both these movements. That because the triceps are the weaker muscle in these exercises.

The triceps give out long before any other muscle in these exercises. Thus, the triceps get maximum overloading/work.

Long Head Tricep Exercises

The loing head of the tricep is "the largest of the three heads." Overhead exercise are the most effective at working the long head.

Example: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Tri ... riExt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tim Top Two Are The Top Two Of The Top 5!

Tim's Dips and Close Grip Bench Press are the top two recommended in this article...because they work.

"Top 5 Tricep Exercises" http://www.projectswole.com/weight-trai ... exercises/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kenny Croxdale

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:25 pm

"(ended up sharing the load with my chest a fair bit, not good before a bench day for e.g)" - RobertB

You really shouldn't be training triceps before chest regardless of the exercises you choose. Instead you may want to try working them at the end of a pressing workout.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:30 pm

PS) I agree with Tim about the close-grips and dips.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:23 pm

I basically bench, pushup, and punch stuff to work my triceps, although you'll see any of dips, close grip bench press, cable triceps extensions, lying or rolling triceps extensions, or board presses come up occasionally in my workouts. The isolation stuff generally comes up when I'm doing an upper/lower split and my coach throws in some extra arm work to fill out the workout.

If I designed my own program, you'd mostly see dips and close grip bench pressing to work my triceps. Those are my favorite two.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:02 pm

On chest day it's Bench, db incline, and dips.

Arm day it's skull crushers and rope pushdowns. arms feel HUGE after i get done. Been debating a change to cgbp and rope pushdowns.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:56 am

xshawnxearthx wrote:On chest day it's Bench, db incline, and dips.

Arm day it's skull crushers and rope pushdowns. arms feel HUGE after i get done. Been debating a change to cgbp and rope pushdowns.
Your Chest Day

It more of an arm day.

Weak Link In The Chain

The weak link in every chain is stressed more. That weak link is overloaded more than any other part of the chain.

The weak link in the bench, dumbbell incline and dips. That means that your triceps will burn out before you completely work/overload your chest.

Thus, I would cagagories you chest day as more of a arm day.

Pre-Exhaust--Bodybuilding

To effectively work your chest, you need to use an exercise to pre-exhaust it, such as flyes.

Kenny Croxdale

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:37 am

Cheers all - think I'll settle on close grip bench and proper dips then. I definately do not feel enough work on the Tris for a normal bench, so I'd be pretty stubborn against people who told me they will be fine with bench alone.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:39 am

You might want to consider and try Bench Dips instead of the Parallel bar Dips. In my experience, it's easier to focus on the tricep doing these. It's easy to add weight doing them this way also.
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/BWBenchDip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I might lean too far forward when P-Bar Dipping and this causes me to get more Chest into the movement. You may not have this same problem though.

Cliff

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:35 pm

you can try to do 1 arm tricep pull downs. Grab the tricep rope with one hand and stand right next to it. Keep your elbow to your ribs and lower your forarm from a 90 degree angle to a straight position and hold for 2 seconds and go up. I find that it works much better than when u do it with 2 hands. Also diamond pushups, close benches, and dips are among top notch tricep workouts

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:30 am

wilburburns wrote:You might want to consider and try Bench Dips instead of the Parallel bar Dips. In my experience, it's easier to focus on the tricep doing these. It's easy to add weight doing them this way also.
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/BWBenchDip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I might lean too far forward when P-Bar Dipping and this causes me to get more Chest into the movement. You may not have this same problem though.

Cliff
I think I have essentially had to re-think my approach - rather than nail down a 95% tricep isolation, work in a good chest/tricep combo that does more than a standard bench would.

So I guess I'll have to accept the clash/crossover and really have a think about how to spare my chest over-training (or whatever you want to call it ;) getting fatigued...)

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:38 am

This might be a useful article
Article about triceps exercises and the part of triceps they hit the most + what exercises help you to build an even developed triceps.

(jps: Don't worry it's no blue waffle.)

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:12 pm

@RobertB:

For advice in triceps training, you can't do much better that Larry Scott. Scott was the first Mr. Olympia, and was noted for his arms, both biceps and triceps:
Larry Scott wrote:In order to build a sweep on your triceps that hang down like grapes you have to blast the long head of the tricep. It’s the one with the greatest potential for size.

The reason most tricep exercises can’t tap into your maximum potential is... they don’t target the long head. It’s kind of tricky because it’s the only tricep head that’s connected to the shoulder. You have to get the arms way up over head in order to activate this beauty.
Scott goes on to describe his version of the overhead triceps cable extension, that he says is less taxing on the elbows.

A good triceps workout would contain two exercises -a compound exercise like triceps dips or close grip bench presses followed by an overhead isolation exercise that targets the long head. The overhead cable extension that you have in your post fits the bill for the overhead exercise just fine.