Squat critique

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Proper Knob

Squat critique

Post by Proper Knob » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:16 pm

Finally got round to filming some squats. The gym cleared just as i finished what i was doing so i snuck in 6 reps @ 100kg just to get something filmed. Not the best angle, but it was the best i could do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5OtrYjlCEI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All comments are welcome.

ironmaiden708

Re: Squat critique

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Proper Knob wrote:Finally got round to filming some squats. The gym cleared just as i finished what i was doing so i snuck in 6 reps @ 100kg just to get something filmed. Not the best angle, but it was the best i could do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5OtrYjlCEI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All comments are welcome.
It definitely would have been great to get a side view but from what I saw it was solid. My legs are normally shoulder width apart with feet facing forward, that's my only real observation.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:45 pm

so as an amatuer, take this as you will.
Great depth and spine.
Only thing I may be seeing is a slight side to side instability, i.e some drift on the descent towards the right leg

I'm not brave enough to post my videos, so thanks for given us something to discuss.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:55 am

Phil--Good-looking squats. Couldn't see what your knees were doing, but I didn't see any obvious knee caving. The only thing might be that your hips came up a little before your shoulders started moving.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:57 am

Thanks for the comments so far.

Ironmaiden - I used to squat with a narrower stance but had a little trouble with my left knee 18 months ago so i switched to a wider stance to try and get my lower leg more perpendicular.

Oscar - That right shifting would tie in with my super tight adductors and lesser hip ROM on my right side.

Doc - This was filmed right at the end of my squats, i'd already worked up to a triple and done a set 10 when the gym cleared so i was pretty fatigued when i filmed this. But i have noticed that the when my form breaks down my hips do rise faster than my shoulders, i end up good morninging (you know what i mean) the weight up.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:27 pm

I hope Proper wouldn't mind if I post my vid here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhNGe7XbYwk

Butt winks ahoy!

Here are my olympic lifts for giggles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjFhxEJ5DsE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfoWgU27eGw

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:15 pm

Very slick, Paperclip. You don't see many jerks done with the snatch reception. Good job.
Tim

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Thanks, Tim, but I have to do it because split jerk gave me shoulder problems caused by the more abrupt stop. As for the lifts themselves, I think I still have some problems to fix..., one is that I'm not quick enough....

TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:51 pm

Well, anyone that can do the snatch jerk shows that they have fairly decent shoulder flexibility. Getting a bit off, I saw a video about 10 years ago that blew my mind. A guy from one of the eastern European countries did a clean onto the BACK of his shoulders, came up with a back squat, and in the jerk got it with the snatch format. Not sure I'd ever even try that without wearing a helmet.
Tim

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Squat looks great!

Can't comment on the O-lifts.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:13 pm

I never realized that I have butt winks (my butt "nods" at the bottom position). Do you think that they are detrimental?
TimD wrote:Getting a bit off, I saw a video about 10 years ago that blew my mind. A guy from one of the eastern European countries did a clean onto the BACK of his shoulders, came up with a back squat, and in the jerk got it with the snatch format.
I wish that I could see that!

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:48 pm

Paperclip wrote:I never realized that I have butt winks (my butt "nods" at the bottom position). Do you think that they are detrimental?
that is some extreme winking.
The O-lift impressed me, but I have no idea if your form is good

eta.
I would think winking is a result of losing the arch in your lower back, and getting anterior pelvic tilt. I'd like to hear others. I don't think I can physically wink likethat if I wanted to though, so that's impressive.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:24 am

(unrelated - squat stuff been said already by more experience peeps)

Nice one on the 200kg deadlift - I'm a similar build to you for all intensive purposes and I failed 190 last month - I'm at 185 now, hopefully the high volume DB rows that have noticably improved my pullups will add another 5/10k to the 185.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:05 pm

Nice PC. Very nice