Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Personal Trainers

Post by The_dog_mom » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi me again,

Debating if I should use a personal trainer to help with form. I don't think I am doing things wrong but is it worth it to check?
I don't want them to change my program only help with form.

Diana

stuward

Re: Personal Trainers

Post by stuward » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:22 pm

It doesn't hurt if you have a knowledgable trainer. A lot don't know what they're doing though. You could post a video here. We''l save you some money.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:03 pm

I second what stu said. I went to my local gym a couple weeks ago to inquire about what certs they recognize. I mentioned I was going for NSCA and the guy never even heard of it (wtf). He told me it would take 2 years to get it (lie). He suggested I go for an easier one, he recommended I go for the non-NCCA accredited cert they offer through the gym. This program can be completed in 2 days and some of their trainer's have that one. Does that sound like these people are anywhere near qualified to be handling clients?

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:59 pm

It's worth it if

- the trainer knows what he or she is doing
- the trainer is willing to show you the exercises you want to learn
- the trainer is has a track record of doing so correctly

I'd say do it, but only if you have someone you can trust. I do this stuff for a living, and I see a mixed bag of people who throw a hodge-podge of random exercises, poorly explained, at clients who poorly execute them all the way to trainers who churn out clients who squat, deadlift, swing, jump, press, and pull with excellent form. It's worth more than it'll cost for the latter; the former are a waste of money. Finding one is going to require work, though.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:25 pm

ironmaiden708 wrote:This program can be completed in 2 days....
Wow! I want one of those trainers. 2 whole days!

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:06 am

Well there is one guy that is a bodybuilder (he competes) not sure if that makes any difference.

I will have to think about that one. I have a friend who goes to the same gym I might ask her to tape a video and put it up here. She will be a couple of weeks (out of town). In the meantime I am doing the exercises and thinking about form. I look at lots of pictures and read.

Diana

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:44 am

ironmaiden708 wrote:I second what stu said. I went to my local gym a couple weeks ago to inquire about what certs they recognize. I mentioned I was going for NSCA and the guy never even heard of it (wtf). He told me it would take 2 years to get it (lie). He suggested I go for an easier one, he recommended I go for the non-NCCA accredited cert they offer through the gym. This program can be completed in 2 days and some of their trainer's have that one. Does that sound like these people are anywhere near qualified to be handling clients?
I actually wanted the NSCA cert but, no one in the UK recognised it, believe it or not.

I don't believe any cert properly prepares you to train people, though (I done NASM which I didn't really like either). I see it as similar to a drivers licence in the sense that the REAL learning begins once you get out on the road.

KPj

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:12 am

KPj wrote:I don't believe any cert properly prepares you to train people, though (I done NASM which I didn't really like either). I see it as similar to a drivers licence in the sense that the REAL learning begins once you get out on the road.
This is a good analogy. I got my NSCA-CPT for two reasons:

- it gave me a professional certification, required for me to get a training job at most (if not all) gyms.

- it gave me a good rate on professional liability insurance, which gyms generally don't bother to provide for you.

That's about it. I chose the NSCA for various reasons, like, "it gets a lot of respect" and "it is valid in Japan," but I wasn't any more ready to train people after I passed the test. It just gave potential employers and clients a reassurance that yes, indeed, I'm serious enough about this stuff to study for and pass a test, do my continuing education, and keep up a professional membership.

To the OP - I'd go with the video from your friend, but you could ask the bodybuilder type about it. You have specific needs, no reason you can't say that's what you want help in. Remember, you're paying for this, so ask for what you want and ensure that's something he can give you.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:57 am

I had a friend who drops by on Sunday afternoons for some years now, so when I started lifting I talked about it.

Sooner or later he drifted down and starting lifting as well. Both of us were very ignorant, but having fun.

So why am I telling you this? Well, as both of us gradually became more serious, our chatter shifted from, "come on, you can do more than that!" to "Why are you flaring out your shoulders?"

Now when we train together its all about checking the other guy: are his feet even on the squat? Did he remember thumbless grip? Are your shoulder blades pinched? Don't look at the bar, look at the ceiling!

So having a friend who is serious can be a huge help.

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:07 am

A couple of things.

The stronglifts 5x5 only took me about 35 min to complete. Not sure if I am doing something wrong? I feel like I had a good workout, muscles feels tired but..........

I don't feel secure in what I am doing and I did have trouble with the weights and still could not use the rack. I ended up using dumbells for my squats and overhead press. I did use the bar for dead-lifts but felt like I held back because I wanted to make sure I could get the bar back up once I was done. I am thinking this calls for a trainer to do 3 things

1. boost my confidence
2. boost my confidence
3. make sure my form is good

Anyone know of a good trainer in NC Raleigh / Durham area? (not sure if I am allowed to ask this on this forum)

Diana

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:30 am

I don't know any trainers in that area. But 35 minutes for 5 x 5 doesn't sound crazy, especially if you're just starting and you're still on very light weights. It'll slow down a bit as you get stronger and end up needing more rest between sets.

Don't get hung up on how long it takes. As long as the weights go up session to session, you are getting stronger.

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:41 am

Don't get hung up on how long it takes. As long as the weights go up session to session, you are getting stronger
I have done this 3x and don't feel comfortable increasing the weight. I think that is a problem. Not that I couldn't but it is my comfort level with handling the weight. Sounds silly (even to me) but it is true. Not sure what will happen on Thursday when I go to the bench press. Last time I did it with dumbbells @ 12.5 each.

Diana

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:42 am

The_dog_mom wrote: The stronglifts 5x5 only took me about 35 min to complete. Not sure if I am doing something wrong? I feel like I had a good workout, muscles feels tired but..........
That is normal and fine, and it will stay short for some weeks/months to come.

Reason is simple, when the weights are light you just don't need much rest between sets. I'm in week 3 of Stronglifts, and after a set I just run through the form points in my head. Did I maintain presence of mind through the set? Did I stick to the specific points on each rep? I check it against the written instructions and then I'm ready to do the next set. My workouts are about 35 mins right now as well.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:45 am

The_dog_mom wrote:
Don't get hung up on how long it takes. As long as the weights go up session to session, you are getting stronger
I have done this 3x and don't feel comfortable increasing the weight. I think that is a problem. Not that I couldn't but it is my comfort level with handling the weight. Sounds silly (even to me) but it is true. Not sure what will happen on Thursday when I go to the bench press. Last time I did it with dumbbells @ 12.5 each.

Diana
My wife does about the same weight. I happen to have a 5' standard bar that weighs 10# and we put 5# on each side. Are there any lighter bars at your gym?

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:05 am

My wife does about the same weight. I happen to have a 5' standard bar that weighs 10# and we put 5# on each side. Are there any lighter bars at your gym?
Yep, it is a brain problem. I don't want to get stuck or hurt myself so I seem to be sticking with what works. I felt as if I had someone to give me a mental boost this may make a difference. My husband works out at work and does not belong to the same gym and I am not allowed to use his gym.

Diana