Personal Trainers

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Personal Trainers

Post by pdellorto » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:51 am

The thing is, if you keep doing the same weight, you won't get any stronger nor any better at the exercise, really. A heavier weight is in some way fundamentally different than a lighter weight - your technique will change as you strain and you find your weak points. You're going to need to go up. If not, you'll basically stay where you are now . . . and it sounds like that's not what you want.

Just go up slowly, keep an eye on your technique, and expect that it'll always be a work in progress. The video is a good idea, but I wouldn't wait on increasing your weights until everything is perfect. Even if it *is* perfect, it won't be once you go for heavier weights.

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:05 am

I am going to read the psychology topic. There may be some things in there that will help.

Diana

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:34 am

I'm 6' 3" 275 lbs and I had similar concerns.
I recently posted in here wondering if other did as well. Although, I've increased due to newbie gains, I still think "Holy Cow, can my body realyl handl all this weight on my back" Which of course, is about 1/2 as much as I should be able to do by next year...

Just go up in smll increments and get enough volume in (like 5x5 in plenty)

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:27 pm

From what I have been reading it looks like using a power rack may be a good option for me. I don't know how to use them. I think finding a trainer that can show me how to use the power rack and do my exercises safely is the answer. Once I have the confidence to use the equipment I will. You are talking to a girl who never learned to ride a bike until she was 12 because of fear of falling off.

Diana

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:08 pm

KPj wrote:
ironmaiden708 wrote:I second what stu said. I went to my local gym a couple weeks ago to inquire about what certs they recognize. I mentioned I was going for NSCA and the guy never even heard of it (wtf). He told me it would take 2 years to get it (lie). He suggested I go for an easier one, he recommended I go for the non-NCCA accredited cert they offer through the gym. This program can be completed in 2 days and some of their trainer's have that one. Does that sound like these people are anywhere near qualified to be handling clients?
I actually wanted the NSCA cert but, no one in the UK recognised it, believe it or not.

I don't believe any cert properly prepares you to train people, though (I done NASM which I didn't really like either). I see it as similar to a drivers licence in the sense that the REAL learning begins once you get out on the road.

KPj
True, but if that were absolute then there is no reason for a person to go for any certification above the minimum required to get a job.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:43 pm

I admitted to my friend that I hadn't had sex for a while.
My friend reassured me that I won't forget it, cuz sex is
like riding a bicycle.
I know it's been a while, but I don't ever remember pedaling...

... I'm here all week.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:47 pm

The_dog_mom wrote:From what I have been reading it looks like using a power rack may be a good option for me. I don't know how to use them. I think finding a trainer that can show me how to use the power rack and do my exercises safely is the answer. Once I have the confidence to use the equipment I will. You are talking to a girl who never learned to ride a bike until she was 12 because of fear of falling off.

Diana
Have you been looking at any YouTube videos about the exercises? You can see pretty well how to use the rack. It's really just about squatting. Remember when I told you about SquatRX? Have you taken a look at those? (Well, maybe I'm remembering telling someone else about SquatRx, but it's a great series.) The vids in that series will give you great tips on squatting, how to avoid major form errors, and you will see how to use the rack in squatting.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:31 am

Sorry, I had forgotten how the SquatRx vids are organized, which is basically in the order that topics occurred to Boris. There are some of him using a rack, but he's mostly demonstrating technique using a brromstick or piece of plastic pipe. They are very good, but may not be what you need at first.

Look at Rippetoe's videos, especially this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

Or this. I'd recommend the whole site that this is from. It's done by a woman, targeted specifically at women. She goes by the nom de plum "Mistress Krista". Here's a link to one of her articles (which contains several flash videos) on squatting:
http://www.stumptuous.com/lurn-to-squat-good-e-zy. There are several others.

And this:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/backsquat.mpg

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:44 am

Thanks Jungledoc! These are great videos, especially the one done by the woman. No my squats don't look like that, I go low but not that low!

I did look up some stuff yesterday but these are much better videos. I am thinking I should try this with no weight at first until I learn to squat then use weight.

Boy would I love to walk into the gym someday and have everyone amazed that my little body and lift and squat that much weight :green:
Diana

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:23 am

Yes, absolutely start with bodyweight only, then move to goblet squats, then back squats.

The important thing is that YOU are amazed!

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:08 am

ironmaiden708 wrote:True, but if that were absolute then there is no reason for a person to go for any certification above the minimum required to get a job.
Is there any other reason to get one?

In some fields, perhaps there is. But if I won't get a better job or a raise from getting a higher-level cert, why do it? In many fields, there are financial reasons to get more certs/more education/get more training.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:28 am

It's not really an unusual problem. Most degrees/whatever don't prepare you very well for the "real world", they just give you the required foundation to go and "become" great at what you want to do. Some employers may prefer you to have an education from certain universities, and some won't care. I know in my day job, they don't care. They see a degree as something that says, "ok, i'm not an idiot, and i have the ability and discipline to start something, see it through, and finish it".

With the trainer certs, from a trainer or potential trainers perspective, you just need to see what the gyms around you or the gyms you want to work in require. As I said my first choice was NSCA based on reputation but, i've yet to find a gym in the UK that recognised it. Most gyms go by what "REPS" (Register of Exercise Professionals) recognise. To get on REPS, you need to a certification that they recognise. To work in the majority of gyms here, you need to be on REPS, regardless of the cert, as long as it's on REPs, you're ok, generally. However, "REPS" is just a business, out to make money, like everything else.

Also, at least in commercial gyms, the receptionists, sales staff, and managers will generally have no clue about fitness. Most won't even train themselves. Again though, this is the UK/Scotland i'm referring to. It's just the way it is....

KPj

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:06 pm

I met with the personal trainer yesterday. He likes my form on most of the exercises and corrected me on the bench press ( I had the weight too high on my chest).

He does not think the 5x 5 strong lift program will work but he knows I am going to give it a try and he is willing to help when needed. The only thing he recommend was I use a Smith machine for safety. He did not feel as though the Smith was such a horrible thing given my newness to weight training.

The gym we trained does not have a power rack but seems more "user friendly" than Golds. It is in a small local community center. The equipment is nice just bare bones.

Diana

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Aside from a barbell with weight plates, a power rack is probably the most important peice of equipment you can have. I wouldn't recomend any gym without one. Meanwhile, a Smith Machine is really a poor substitute, and won't teach you proper free-weight form. If/when you make the switch from smith squats to barbell squats you'll have to relearn the lift completely. You'll also need to be careful with loading, since the smith will develop the larger muscles (quads, glutes, etc.) with out adequately developing the smaller stabilizer muscles like the obliques and erectors.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:05 pm

From what I've seen, trainers like to start people out on machines because it makes THEIR jobs easier, and because it allows their client to jump right into an exercise program. However, in the long run, I think you're much better off learning to use free weights from day one.