Working your back

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

bjwuk
Rookie
Rookie

Working your back

Post by bjwuk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:32 pm

I've recently started doing 5x5 and feeling it a lot in my back, my question is how do you tell the difference being feeling a bit stiff in your back because you've worked it hard or pain beacuse you're doing it some damage.

I wouldnt describe the feeling in my back as pain, more stiffness or mild discomfort but I want to be sure I'm not damaging myself.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Working your back

Post by Matt Z » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Is the pain you're feeling in your spine or in the musculature of your upper and/or lower back? Some muscle soarness is normal. Spine pain isn't.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:33 pm

How soon after the workout does the pain (or discomfort) start? How long does it last?

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:22 pm

Matt Z wrote:Is the pain you're feeling in your spine or in the musculature of your upper and/or lower back? Some muscle soarness is normal. Spine pain isn't.
what does spine pain feel like?
I'm also interested in this.
I have tightness for a couple of days after heavy deads or squats. Feels fine during. It's the kind of stiffnes that you hardly notice until after you've been sitting for awhile and then try to sit up straight, or tilt your pelvis backward. Litely painful

bjwuk described it much as I would

I presumed it's normal but wonder if it will be less as I get more used to heavy (for me) lifting

bjwuk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bjwuk » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:40 am

Matt Z wrote:Is the pain you're feeling in your spine or in the musculature of your upper and/or lower back? Some muscle soarness is normal. Spine pain isn't.
The discomfort is in the middle of the back either side of the spine. It isn't constant it's only when I have cause to use my back muscles.

I feel it when I've finshed a set and for maybe a day after the workout, generally it's got better before the next workout.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:00 am

The spinal erectors run up both sides of the spine from the hips to the skull. Many other muscles like Rhomboids and traps, also connect to the spine. It seems to me that you're experiencing DOMS for muscles you're working for the first time. This is evident due to the timing of the soreness. Once a week you should be taking 2 full days off together. That should give your back a little longer to heal. Eventually that soreness should fade.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:35 am

The back (especially upper back) is, in my opinion, typically the worst place for doms because it does feel closer to a strained muscle than, say, legs.

One little tip I got is: if stretching relieves the pain/soreness for a sensible amount of time (20-30 mins) then its Doms - if stretching hurts, its strain. Obviously without a solid education on the matter I can't say thats absolute, but it tends to work for me.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:04 pm

Usually DOMS doesn't start until a few hours after the workout (that's implied in the term "delayed onset"). If it resolves completely by the next workout, I doubt if it's serious. I'd drop weight a little, and see how it goes. You shouldn't be straining anything regularly or you'll do real damage.

bjwuk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bjwuk » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Thanks everyone, I think maybe I just went too heavy on the deadlifts and bent over row. I'll put my ego to one side and drop it down a bit I think.