Bent over row grip

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

bjwuk
Rookie
Rookie

Bent over row grip

Post by bjwuk » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:19 am

Is it advisiable to do bent over row with an alternate grip as you might with deadlifts or would this create an inbalance? I do deadlifts with this grip and always feel I have a more solid grip on the bar.

wilburburns

Re: Bent over row grip

Post by wilburburns » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:14 am

The Grip type on the Bent over Barbell Row controls the "Main" Target muscles used. IE: an underhand grip allows the Biceps to work more, where as an overhand grip forces the back to work more.

That being said, you can use an alternate grip for these type of rows, but I would recommend alternating which hand is overhand/underhand for each set. This should take care of any inbalances.

Cliff

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:19 am

If grip is an issue in BOR, I'd think that either your grip strength needs work, or that you're using way too much weight. It's common to be able to dead more than you can grip, but if you can't grip your BOR weight, you need to change something other than the type of grip.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:14 am

alternate grip for dl has exposed my weka bicep. Hence, I'm adding more bicep work
I'm with Doc, generally. Do you need to use it or just asking what the ramiifications would be?

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:09 pm

if you're going to deadlift heavy you need to mix your grip, it makes such a massive difference. No way would I do it on bent over rows though, one bicep'll develop loads more than the other. If grip is bothering you use straps but don't mix grip on rows.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Doing mixed grip with rows would be difficult and awkward, at least that's the issue I had. Deads with mixed makes a huge difference. Do either all under or overhand. If grips a problem try chalk/gloves/straps or ultimately drop the weight to what you can handle.

bjwuk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bjwuk » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:32 pm

It's not that I'm struggling with the normal grip I just thought I might feel more comfortable with the alternate grip. As I suspected it's probably not a good idea but thought I may as well ask the question.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:52 pm

"If grip is an issue in BOR, I'd think that either your grip strength needs work, or that you're using way too much weight. It's common to be able to dead more than you can grip, but if you can't grip your BOR weight, you need to change something other than the type of grip." - Jungledoc

That's not neccessarily so. It's possible to go pretty heavy on barbell rows, especially if you do them at a 45-degree angle. Meanwhile, performing the lift in an explosive manner can make it especially hard to hold on (Same is true of High Pulls). I recomend using straps if grip becomes an issue.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:48 pm

Matt Z wrote:"If grip is an issue in BOR, I'd think that either your grip strength needs work, or that you're using way too much weight. It's common to be able to dead more than you can grip, but if you can't grip your BOR weight, you need to change something other than the type of grip." - Jungledoc

That's not neccessarily so. It's possible to go pretty heavy on barbell rows, especially if you do them at a 45-degree angle. Meanwhile, performing the lift in an explosive manner can make it especially hard to hold on (Same is true of High Pulls). I recomend using straps if grip becomes an issue.
Well, you'd know better than I would, Matt. I don't like straps, but they make more sense than alternate grip.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:31 pm

I think straps are best used sparingly. I only use them for a few exercises. I also include Barbell Holds to make sure my grip gets enough work.