Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

When to Leave Full Body Land ?

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:51 pm

I am curious.

Is it when you can push significantly hard enough to require several days off for muscle groups?
Or, what if you are an aging out of shape man and feel 48 hours between heavy squats is geting tougher with a progressive program - sometimes leading to taking an extra day break?
If one is still putting weight on the bar most every time for most every lift, is that a good sign that Full Body is still the best bet. (especially if said individual is chubby and generally weak all over)
Should we look at diet and rest first before pointing to Full Body wokouts.
Or?

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Re: When to Leave Full Body Land ?

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:49 pm

browsing the search (novel idea), maybe Stephen has a good point. for osmetihng like Squatting 2/3 times a week, perhaps varying the intensity (weight or rep scheme) can help recovery and maintain consistant gains. Rater than throwing out the baby with the bath water. I see there is quite a bit of info on this and I'll keep looking. I may just be in a slight funk

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Texas Method is a good transition that uses the full body programming.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:16 pm

It's pretty common for people not to be able to sustain heavy squatting every 2 days! Rip suggests squatting only twice per week (as I recall). I've decided that even that is too often for me, and I've gone back to squatting every 4th workout, and working out 3 times per week. Maybe for now, alternating DL and squat would work better?

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:00 am

I think Rip has novices squating every session. But maybe he has an old guy variation. By no means am I in desperate need of an overhaul (hopefully). Just having a bit of recovery trouble. Today I decided to skip for the first time in 8 weeks. And not just shift one day, but actually only do 2 sessions this week No big deal right?
It could be as simple as I’m not willing to eat what it takes to keep pushing in a Full body progesive program, or not sleeping enough consistantly. But, on the other hand, my numbers are still quite pathetic and I should have plenty of linear gains left in me. I’m trying to find the right volume, especially for legs and lower back. It was a bit too light, and now, not sure. I do mix in lighter weight higher volume days. This is a new aspect that I think will be a true asset
But either way, I’m having a great time learning

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:47 am

The normal transition from a Starting Strength type program is to something like Texas method, Madcow 5x5, WS4SB, etc. What's happening here is not so much a frequency change as an intensity change. You generally go heavy once a week and back it off a bit on the other workouts, maybe mixing up the volume each workout. The frequency is kept high to maintain conditioning. These programs are all in the stickies.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:08 pm

thanks for the guidance. I need to read about those more closely, but you know, I'm pretty stubborn? and really enjoy desiging my own - although, using all the same principles, to the best of my understanding. I have shifted some of the heavy lifting. It's just that I think my lifts are still too light to have to move to far from a SS like protocol. I will read those stickies.
thanks again. Today I feel better than I have in a while, An extra day, helps.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:23 pm

Never liked doing full body workouts, always opted for four day splits. I've always had great gains, I only change up reps/volume and exercises.