Coping missing training

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

bjwuk
Rookie
Rookie

Coping missing training

Post by bjwuk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:41 am

I hardly ever miss a traning session, but if I have too beacuse of illness or work etc I often beat myself up over it.

So I can try and get a sense of perspective, how much training would you have to miss before you started to see losses in muscle mass/strength/fitness?

How do the rest of you cope with missing sessions?

Proper Knob

Re: Coping missing training

Post by Proper Knob » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:59 am

I regularly take a week off here and there. Over Christmas and New Year, i got to the gym once in 2 weeks, when i got back to start a new cycle i set a new rep PR on squats first day back in the gym. Personally i think it's all about your mindset.

If you think taking a week off is going to be detrimental to your strength levels and you take that mindset into the gym, chances are you'll have a crap workout. If you go into the gym after taking a week off thinking your body has recovered feeling refreshed and enthusiastic, chances are you'll have a great workout.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:11 am

I believe Tim posted a study several years back about something like an average person with an average activity level could go six weeks without significant loss.

If you miss a training session, don't think twice about it. That is unless it is the same one, every week, for a year, because you hate deadlifts.

DavidMcF
Novice
Novice

Post by DavidMcF » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:29 am

Sometimes it's good to take some time off in my opinion. Sometimes you just need a bit more rest so you can go back and work out properly next time you're in

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:33 am

I know what you mean, but sometimes life gets in the way, you just do what you can. I always feel guilty too, but really your not going to suddenly weaker in couple of days. Sometimes I just do the the jack sh*t version when, I don't have time or I'm really tired.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:49 am

I took 4 weeks off while my gym was being built over weekends. But in my mind I knew I had left my lazy underachieving prcrastinating ways behind.
No impact when I got back. As said earlier, though, you have to have a good attitude about it.
I do prefer to miss by plan, not jsut wake up in the morning and go back to bed. So, I keep an alarm downstairs, while I sleep upstairs.
I took a day off Tuesday and felt great for Thursday. And I only do 3 days/wk.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:22 pm

Most people should take some sort of a deload every few weeks anyway. Missing one workout won't make a bit of difference. Missing a week won't either, and can be positively good for you. Some of us have very unpredictable work schedules, and can't set a schedule in stone.

bjwuk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bjwuk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:10 am

Thanks everyone, all good advice.

I know I'm prone to being a bit obsessive about training, every now again I need to get a bit of perspective.