Shoulder Press

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

bjwuk
Rookie
Rookie

Shoulder Press

Post by bjwuk » Mon May 02, 2011 4:36 am

Is there much difference between doing shoulder press to the chest and doing it behind the neck? I tend to switch between the two doing one rep to the chest and the next rep behind the neck etc.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Re: Shoulder Press

Post by hoosegow » Mon May 02, 2011 6:08 am

Behind the neck presses puts more stress on the shoulders and increases the chance of a shoulder injury (note this is gym science and I'm not sure I've ever actually seen a study on the difference).

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Mon May 02, 2011 6:27 am

bjwuk wrote:Is there much difference between doing shoulder press to the chest and doing it behind the neck? I tend to switch between the two doing one rep to the chest and the next rep behind the neck etc.
bjwuk,

As hoosegow noted, performing behind the neck does place some stress on the shoulders. However, I believe this is some value in them.

Brandford Press

Alternating the shoulder press and behind the neck press is a version of the Bradford Press.

The difference is that in the Bradford Press, only half of the movement is performed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb661IHZD68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see the Bradford Press being somewhat of a theraputic movement for the shoulders like the Kettlebell Halo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsyCQorkx-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kenny Croxdale

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Mon May 02, 2011 6:30 am

BTW I don't gain much from doing shoulder press to improve lift itself. When I stop doing it, my press suddenly goes up. If I get back doing it again, it actually goes down. Weird I know maybe it's because of (the issues in) my shoulders.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon May 02, 2011 12:55 pm

I do like the Bradford presses. I use a lot lower weight, about a 90 lbs. less and I see it as more of an auxillary exercise.

tyciol
Necromancer
Necromancer

Post by tyciol » Thu May 05, 2011 8:57 am

Keeping it in front of the chest is more internally rotated, this lets you use the mid-deltoid better. Behind the neck's external rotation pretty much makes it only the anterior fibers I think.