Stronglifts 5x5

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Stronglifts 5x5

Post by The_dog_mom » Wed May 04, 2011 9:47 am

As some of you may know I was going to try the SL program. I have been doing this and have some questions???

It is recommended adding 5# per workout and it also says by not following this it will ruin the progress.

Is + 5# too much for a female 5' tall and 122 #'s?

I am adding on 1.5 for my upper body each workout.
The reason I ask is trouble with squats. I am good up to 40# with form and I can squat low. Once I add another 5#-10# on the bar I can't squat as low. I have no difficulty squatting low at 40# What should I do?

Stay at 40#-45# even though the program does not call for that?
Go back in weight and only increase by 1.5#?

Another piece to this is I am never sore after a workout and my upper body feels drained but I feel like I could do more with my squats.

Sleep 8-9 per night
Diet, eat plenty lots of protein, in fact since I started I am able to eat more than I did before and my cloths still fit. I feel stronger but don't look stronger.

Diana

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Stronglifts 5x5

Post by pdellorto » Wed May 04, 2011 9:51 am

As long as you are squatting to parallel, keep upping the weight. If you can't, it's not as useful to just load the bar and squat high.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with smaller increases if that's all you can handle. If adding 5# is too much, add less but keep adding. Progress is progress.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed May 04, 2011 10:10 am

Diana--just curious. You talk about 40#, but most bars in most gyms are 45#. When you talk about how much weight you are squatting, are you counting the bar? Sometimes people don't realize that the bar counts. If you are adding 40# to the bar, you're probably squatting 85#. Sounds better, huh?

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:17 am

The_dog_mom wrote:It is recommended adding 5# per workout and it also says by not following this it will ruin the progress.
Mehdi has a way to put things it almost looks like his writings came down with Moses himself from the mountain ;) It's just a style of writing, and one his target audience seems to like a lot. If you keep reading him long enough you'll notice there's plenty of nuances.

Why do I say this? Because some things are pillars of the program and should not be messed with, others may be approached with a more flexible mindset.

One pillar is if you're not squatting to parallel, you're basically not squatting and should regard that as a failure: try again up to 3 times then perform a 10% deload. Then again if you had been doing this already, AND you're eating enough, you might start thinking about using a smaller weight increase.
The_dog_mom wrote:I feel stronger but don't look stronger.
When you're just starting out most of the strength increase comes from the brain/nerves adapting to fire faster, i.e. getting more out of the muscle mass you've got already. So the muscles themselves are not effectively getting any bigger (except for the pump effect)

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Wed May 04, 2011 4:28 pm

You talk about 40#, but most bars in most gyms are 45#. When you talk about how much weight you are squatting, are you counting the bar? Sometimes people don't realize that the bar counts. If you are adding 40# to the bar, you're probably squatting 85#. Sounds better, huh?
No I use a small bar loaded to 40. I have used the 45# Olympic bar but then I can't get the squat right.
One pillar is if you're not squatting to parallel, you're basically not squatting
Here is how it goes for me. I do 2x5 with 20# then 3x30. No issues with parallel squat. Then I move to my workout weight. On Monday my workout weight was 45# (bar only) and I was having difficulty getting the parallel squat, I felt it was more a balance issue than a weight issue so I went today and did 2x5x20 then 3x40 (gave me some difficulty) for my warm up then loaded the Olympic bar with an additional 5# and I could not get parallel.

Diana

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:45 pm

IIRC balance problems are a sign of underlying issues with technique but I'll leave to someone more experienced than me the task of giving a proper answer.

On a sidenote, that's a fair bit of warming up. I'm on SL5x5 too and I usually do only a couple sets, partly because I don't want to end up too spent to do the work sets properly, and partly because I tend to run long on the session anyway. This won't probably be an issue for you right now and in that case you are probably benefiting from repetition, but it may be something worth keeping in mind for later.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Wed May 04, 2011 9:38 pm

5X5 isnt really something for muscle gains, youll gain muscle but your gonna gain more nerve power and explosiveness then muscle power. If you want to build muscle then i suggest taking the reps a little higher. As for squatting, I cant tell you much without knowing your whole leg routine. Like are you doing something before doing squats?

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu May 05, 2011 6:53 am

Like are you doing something before doing squats?
No the only thing I am doing is the stronglifts 5x5 so the warm up squat is the first thing I do.
5X5 isnt really something for muscle gains, youll gain muscle but your gonna gain more nerve power and explosiveness then muscle power.
I thought the program was for strength training? Doesn't muscle equate to strength?

Diana

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu May 05, 2011 9:16 am

The_dog_mom wrote:...I thought the program was for strength training? Doesn't muscle equate to strength?

Diana
There are 2 components to strength, neuralogical adaptaion and muscle fibre size. There are also 2 components to size, muscle fibre size and muscle fluid volume. Low rep explosive training favours the former, higher rep rhythmic training favours the latter. There is a lot of carry over between the two.

Stronglifts has an article on it here: http://stronglifts.com/how-many-reps-should-you-do/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only bodybuilders care about size without strength. Everyone else should focus on muscle fibre size.

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:50 am

That's a good, informative answer. Personally I had dismissed the matter after about the first 7 words:
Immortal wrote:5X5 isnt really something for muscle gains
Which begs the question, if Starting Strength, StrongLifts and the like aren't really something for muscle gains, then what is?

I'd be curious to hear a serious reply. But it would be hijacking dog mom's thread (who is also still waiting for some advice regarding her balance troubles while squatting) so I'll leave it at that.

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu May 05, 2011 11:37 am

But it would be hijacking dog mom's thread
Feel free I usually have the same questions as everyone else and I like to learn

Diana

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu May 05, 2011 11:43 am

There are 2 components to strength, neuralogical adaptaion and muscle fibre size. There are also 2 components to size, muscle fibre size and muscle fluid volume. Low rep explosive training favours the former, higher rep rhythmic training favours the latter. There is a lot of carry over between the two.
I am a little confused and I think this question will clear up my confusion

Which person burns more calories at rest: :?:

Body builder who would have muscle fluid volume
Person with good strength (who obviously has to have muscles to be strong)

Diana

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:49 am

About resting metabolic rate, don't expect muscle mass gains to increase it significantly. E.g.
Weight training, by increasing muscle mass, should have a small effect on BMR as well although not all studies have shown this to be the case. Unfortunately, the most recent research points out just how small the effect is: at rest, a pound of muscle burns about 6 calories. The old values of 40-100 cal/lb were simply vast overestimations and unless you can add an absolute ton of muscle mass, you’re unlikely to increase resting metabolic rate significantly (not that adding muscle doesn’t have other benefits).
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-lo ... rview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS: i.e. there is a difference but it's not like you're gonna shed loads of weight just because of that. Diet is usually regarded as the single most significant factor affecting weight and body fat.

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu May 05, 2011 6:29 pm

I went to the gym this evening to have someone look at my squat form. Once again they said it was good but they did give me a couple of pointers.

Find a spot on the wall in front of me about 2' above my head and focus on that spot when I squat.

When I had a hard time squatting with additional weight they had me put my heels on a weight lying flat on the ground (like a 1" heel lift)

Diana

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Thu May 05, 2011 7:15 pm

mark74 wrote:That's a good, informative answer. Personally I had dismissed the matter after about the first 7 words:
Immortal wrote:5X5 isnt really something for muscle gains
Which begs the question, if Starting Strength, StrongLifts and the like aren't really something for muscle gains, then what is?

I'd be curious to hear a serious reply. But it would be hijacking dog mom's thread (who is also still waiting for some advice regarding her balance troubles while squatting) so I'll leave it at that.
Mehdi himself says repeatedly that if you want to get big, build a foundation of strength first. He cites Arnold as having been a strength champion (deadlifting 700#) before going into bodybuilding. The idea seems to be that, as a beginner, you use Stronglifts to get strong, and the program will take most people through at least a year. Once you're squatting 300+ and deadlifting 400+, you will have graduated from Stronglifts. He says at at that point the system won't work any more and you need intermediate and advanced programs. He also says that only at that point do you have a useful base of strength to build upon if you want to go pure BB.

FWIW, he also says that if you continue to push forward past beginner's gains it's more or less impossible not to gain some muscle mass if you get stronger. Maybe not body-builder mass, but you definitely look healthy and strong.

I'm just the messenger here, that's what he says and it kind of makes sense to me.