Stronglifts 5x5

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Stronglifts 5x5

Post by mark74 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:22 pm

Yeah squatting is easier if you use shoes with a heel. While this is true for everyone, some have flexibility issues and have the tendency to lift their heels, the quick fix is to place plates under them.

If that's your case you might have to add appropriate stretches to your rest days, although if you squat often enough (even air squatting at home on your rest days counts) it will work as a stretch too.

BTW if you're squatting with trainers, those are usually not recommended because of the compressible sole. Chuck Taylors are the choice of anyone who, for a reason or another, won't get lifting shoes.

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Fri May 06, 2011 8:22 am

I went back the gym today for my workout. I did 2x5 with 20#'s for a warm up. I decreased the squat weight back to 40# (including bar) used some weight plates on the floor to bring up my heels a tad. I was able to get a GOOD low squat. It was tough getting the 5x5 in. On my last set I did not think I was going to make it back up and I am not 100% sure I went as low. Should I stick with 40# for a few more workouts to make sure I have the form right and can get low or go ahead and increase?

I was able to increase the weight on my dead-lift to 55.

Diana

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri May 06, 2011 8:30 am

Normally once you get all 5x5 done with good form, it's time to go up. Since you were pretty close to getting it, you could go up to 45 now. If you wan't to stay at 40 for another workout, it won't hurt, but go up the next workout. Most young guys want to go up too quickly. A lot of women are hesitant to go heavy too soon. Rememeber that progressive increases in weight are required in order to make progress.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Fri May 06, 2011 8:41 am

The_dog_mom wrote:I went back the gym today for my workout. I did 2x5 with 20#'s for a warm up. I decreased the squat weight back to 40# (including bar) used some weight plates on the floor to bring up my heels a tad. I was able to get a GOOD low squat. It was tough getting the 5x5 in. On my last set I did not think I was going to make it back up and I am not 100% sure I went as low. Should I stick with 40# for a few more workouts to make sure I have the form right and can get low or go ahead and increase?

I was able to increase the weight on my dead-lift to 55.

Diana
One of the key ideas in Stronglifts is that the beginning weights are supposed to be small enough that you can increase for at least a couple of weeks without worrying about the weight, you are instead "burning in" good form.

So it's not about starting with any particular number, its about being able to advance for several sessions while concentrating on form, which does wonders for confidence.

So........ don't be afraid to actually start with even lower weights, like 15# or 20# on squat, so that you can add weight each session and get used to the idea that it works. This will put you back at 40#-45# in only a couple of weeks, but with a lot more confidence and having practiced form for 100+ reps.

Again, the ideas are:

1) Start low enough that you worry only about form because those weights is "so darn light"

2) Add 5# (or 2.5#) each session to get used to doing this, so you are saying, "Well last session was only 15#, and that was easy, I know I can do 17.5 (or 20)"

3) By the time you get to your natural sticking point, say about 40 or 45, you've already gained confidence and practice, and you'll see that weight in a whole new, very positive light.

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Fri May 06, 2011 9:28 am

3) By the time you get to your natural sticking point, say about 40 or 45, you've already gained confidence and practice, and you'll see that weight in a whole new, very positive light.
You know the guys at the gym said lifting is 90% mental. This seems quite logical to me.

Diana

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:46 am

The_dog_mom wrote:I was able to get a GOOD low squat.
That's great news, congratulations.
The_dog_mom wrote:It was tough getting the 5x5 in.
The squat is easily the toughest lift in the program, with the overhead press being a close second but for different reasons.
The_dog_mom wrote:Should I stick with 40# for a few more workouts to make sure I have the form right and can get low or go ahead and increase?
If you rest properly you should be able to keep pushing on the squat and deadlift, or that's what I usually try to do.

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Sat May 07, 2011 7:31 am

Well at least for now I have my squat plan down.
What would you say is the next most important exercise for my focus? I understand they all need focus but I need to learn one at a time to make sure I understand them correctly.

Barbellrow
OHpress
Benchpress
DL

Diana

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:42 am

In order of importance I'd say deadlift. But really I would tell you try to feel the feedback from your body and then decide where you need to put in the most work.

As long as you're still practicing with the empty bar, you shouldn't be risking much but that depends a lot on how much strength you have already, e.g. I was basically an amoeba when I started out and on some lifts I could have killed myself straight away if I started with an empty olympic bar...

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Sat May 07, 2011 7:57 am

Well I think it depends on the mistakes that may be deal killers (cause harm)for an exercise. Like a bad squat could ruin your knees. My knees weren't in jeopardy because I had a good squat just not low enough.

So I guess what I may be asking is what are the common mistakes with the other exercises and what body parts will the mistake potentially hurt.

I am not using that much weight. 55# on my DL is the max.

Diana

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:11 am

Yeah the thing about weight is what for me is a heavy weight for some others doesn't even cut it as a warm up...

If I had to take a guess, the most common mistakes I'd say are: deadlift is curving your back (especially lower), not keeping the shoulder pulled back, not using a good start position (with your shins touching the bar). Press using a grip that is too wide, pushing the weight backwards (you need another person or a mirror to see if you do that). For the press, not keeping the back arched and the upper back tight, protracting the shoulder forward before lock out, using a suicide grip.

For the row, not keeping your shoulder blades pulled all the way back and lower back arched. That's a very rough list off the top of my mind and I'm sure others will have plenty to add.

But really, you could hurt yourself in any way and because it depends a lot on what's your current situation and what you're doing, and we have little or no way of knowing that. Hope that doesn't put you off, just "listen to your body" I know it sounds kind of hippy, but that's like one of the basics IMO.