General Question about a Deload week

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

General Question about a Deload week

Post by ellerbus » Tue May 10, 2011 4:35 pm

When doing a periodization routine that ramps you up to your 1RM as a workout weight followed by a deload week ... how important is the deload week vs. simply taking the week off from lifting all together.

stuward

Re: General Question about a Deload week

Post by stuward » Tue May 10, 2011 4:38 pm

In my opinion, taking a deload week or taking a week off is essentially the same thing. The actual deload will help you maintain conditioning and perhaps a little active recovery but I would expect the actual effect would be minor.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Wed May 11, 2011 6:13 am

you can use the lighter weights to reinforce good technique.

Personally I like to use it as a week where I do prehab sort of stuff: loads of shoulder health exercises etc

Velcropop
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Velcropop » Wed May 11, 2011 6:45 pm

I like to use it as a prehab week too. Light weights and flexibility exercises. Sometimes I get carried away volume wise (i.e. too many reps) but it seems to work.

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ellerbus » Thu May 12, 2011 9:00 am

Thanks for the input guys

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu May 12, 2011 9:15 am

Generally I find that for me a deload works better than time off. It takes away any temptation to do "extra" stuff to make up for being off, gives me some practice with the lifts I'm doing, and feels really good. If you've been pulling heavy deadlifts for 3 weeks and then get a week with light ones, it really make you feel like you're dominating the weight. ;)

Plus it keeps you on schedule and in the groove. I find if I take a week off, it's hard to go back. I get used to not driving to the gym or MMA, not training, not making my shakes, etc. With a deload I go in, do my stuff, and I'm on schedule.

Over on my blog I did a few posts on deloading, and there are links to a Dave Tate article and a Diesel Crew article on deloading you might find useful:
http://strength-basics.blogspot.com/search/label/deload" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps, and nice to see you posting again!

Peter

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ellerbus » Mon May 16, 2011 1:18 pm

Thanks Peter ... well looks like my deload weeks for my Deadlifts and Squats may be extended ... I may have broken one of my toes this weekend or possibly just bruised it *really* bad since I can't put on a shoe and it hurts to walk. It's actually funny (to me anyways), I didn't realize there was nothing that can be done unless it's facing the wrong direction, but I started to chuckle when the doctor told me to keep it buddy wrapped and if it hurts for about 6 weeks then it was broken.