your favourite routine and exercise

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

your favourite routine and exercise

Post by robertscott » Thu May 12, 2011 11:32 am

pick one of each, your favourite exercise and the routine you would do forever.

Favourite exercise I reckon power snatch easily takes it. Best feeling ever powering that weight up there, looks cool as hell when you've got it locked out over your head too.

Favourite routine I reckon WS4SB. I don't see why this routine doesn't get more love from beginners, it's all Starting Strength this and Madcow that. It's a brilliant routine, big heavy compound stuff with real size building stuff too. Brilliant routine.

Anyone else care to offer some suggestions?

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: your favourite routine and exercise

Post by RobertB » Thu May 12, 2011 1:01 pm

short answer
Routine: Not sure - most progress from SL5x5 (obviously, was first routine for months :))
Exercise: Press

I wont put my stamp on routine at the moment really - each has done it's job a reasonable amount. I loved 10x10 squats on GVT because it felt like a drug when I'd done it - must have been hormones being fired up or something, not sure, but genuinley had my mood boosted for a couple of days. I did Sl5x5 > short period of texas method > GVT and am just finishing my second week of Wendlers 5/3/1, seems good on paper but no comments so far - it should get me where I want to be by December/early Jan and if it does I'll have a smirk pasted across my face for weeks :)

Favorite exercise is Press. I just happen to be decent at it (to a degree, not boasting, just feels right/clean, not much over the exrx standards maybe 15% [as opposed to my $h1t bench which is 10% below]) but the bennefits are massive, I feel how far my core muscles/stability has improved because any time I am just a tad off balance my core kicks in and corrects it - really satisfying feeling leaning back (by accident) and my abs and back correcting 80kilos off balance, I also like how my front delts are forming and I think the base from SL5x5 and the hyper from GVT have worked wonders on them.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Thu May 12, 2011 1:26 pm

Favourite exercise: Squats - purely because it's my biggest lift and my progress rockets ahead of other exercises.

Favourite routine - Reverse pyramid on a bodypart splt

Velcropop
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Velcropop » Thu May 12, 2011 8:31 pm

Ex: Bench and Deadlift, I can't really decide between the two.

Prog: 5/3/1. I love 5/3/1.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu May 12, 2011 8:56 pm

Hard to say. Probably 5/3/1 with conditioning grabbed from Joel Jamieson's work, with Trap Bar Deadlifts and Bench.

I could do that basically forever. Hard to get bored setting PRs all the time and driving my conditioning level through the roof.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu May 12, 2011 9:24 pm

5/3/1, although I haven't really done any other published routine. Before this I did home-made routines, usually full-body, usually 3x5 or 5x5, usually 4 to 7 exercises.

Deadlift, easily.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Thu May 12, 2011 9:49 pm

I've never even looked at 5/3/1, can it be done with a lean towards bodybuilding?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu May 12, 2011 9:57 pm

Nevage wrote:I've never even looked at 5/3/1, can it be done with a lean towards bodybuilding?
Yeah. Wendler wrote about that somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu May 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Nevage wrote:I've never even looked at 5/3/1, can it be done with a lean towards bodybuilding?
I actually read it in a couple hours split over two nights.

Good read.

He is off the reservation on some things IMHO, but pretty insightful about others.

I really don't see how you can turn that book into a BB split, you would have to do a bit more accessory and another day or two a week. And most people need more volume...

But who knows, maybe I'm totally wrong.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri May 13, 2011 1:47 am

Jungledoc wrote:
Yeah. Wendler wrote about that somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.
Couldn't find the post I remember. I think it was an answer the Wendler wrote to someone's question on a Q&A page, or on a forum.
Anyway, you're experienced with BB training. Just do 5/3/1 and plan the assistance work for hypertrophy. Wendler suggests 5 sets of 10-20 reps for most assistance work. The assistance template that he calls "Periodization Bible by Dave Tate" (named for an article that Tate wrote that inspired the template), includes doing a shoulder/chest lift, a lats/upper back lift, and a triceps lift on both of the upper body days, and a hams, a quads, and an ab exercise on the 2 lower body days. Suggests that you can do any lift you want in each of those categories, even a different one each time.

Here's a link to a page that explains it pretty well, but I still think that it's good to buy the book.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... =112382761
It's pretty accurate, except the loading scheme that this guy lists further down and calls "a second, less intensive, loading parameter" is actually what's suggested first in the book, and what this guy lists first is what Wendler lists first, and says he would recommend for almost everyone. Option 2 is his concession for impatient young guys who want to try to go harder.

E-book is on sale for $19.99.
http://www.flexcart.com/members/eliteft ... D&pid=2976

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri May 13, 2011 2:26 am

Exercise:
Conventional: Deadlift. "Hate to love it"
Non-Conventional: Sand/Duffle Bag carry, shoulders or bear hug

Program: Whatever awesome one I have most recently created.

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri May 13, 2011 5:33 am

nygmen wrote: I really don't see how you can turn that book into a BB split, you would have to do a bit more accessory and another day or two a week. And most people need more volume...

The nuts and bolts of the program is really just structure and progression for 4 big lifts throughout the week.

Squat (legs)
Bench (chest)
Deadlift (back?)
Press (shoulders)

With a typical BB split, i'm assuming what we're missing the most is arms and abs? I know some put "traps" into a seperate day. So, the 4 big lifts mentioned take up 20 mins max of a session. Going by the typical BB guideline of keeping sessions to about an hour, we have another 40 mins to play with. It could be turned into a typical chest/tri's, back/bi's, legs/abs, shoulders/traps. What you have is a good structure and progression for the big lifts to keep getting stronger on, and a good 40 mins or so play around with to get loads more volume or hit another body part.

Do you not think that would be ideal for most? Advanced or advanced-intermediates aside (I tend to think lifters in this category probably know more about themselves than most can tell them, anyway).

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri May 13, 2011 5:36 am

Favourite routine is my Westside influenced approach. Upper Lower split, 2 ME and DE days. I love working up in triples and deciding by feel whether i'll keep it at a good triple or work down to heavy singles. I also love the "special exercises", and rotating through them.

Favourite exercise is Deadlifts.

KPj

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Fri May 13, 2011 6:37 am

KPj wrote:
nygmen wrote: I really don't see how you can turn that book into a BB split, you would have to do a bit more accessory and another day or two a week. And most people need more volume...

The nuts and bolts of the program is really just structure and progression for 4 big lifts throughout the week.

Squat (legs)
Bench (chest)
Deadlift (back?)
Press (shoulders)

With a typical BB split, i'm assuming what we're missing the most is arms and abs? I know some put "traps" into a seperate day. So, the 4 big lifts mentioned take up 20 mins max of a session. Going by the typical BB guideline of keeping sessions to about an hour, we have another 40 mins to play with. It could be turned into a typical chest/tri's, back/bi's, legs/abs, shoulders/traps. What you have is a good structure and progression for the big lifts to keep getting stronger on, and a good 40 mins or so play around with to get loads more volume or hit another body part.

Do you not think that would be ideal for most? Advanced or advanced-intermediates aside (I tend to think lifters in this category probably know more about themselves than most can tell them, anyway).

KPj

I mean, you are right, and I'm actually going to use his %'s for a couple of my lifts, but I woudl never say I'm doing 5/3/1.

A lot of people are going to need more volume that 3x5 at 65%,75%,85% and 3x3 at 70,80,90, or whatever the %'s are.

I don't mean to say you can't bastardize 5/3/1 and make progress, but it would be a disservice to call it 5/3/1/.

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri May 13, 2011 6:52 am

Thanks.

I meant to find this and link it in my last post, but had to rush.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... lume_eight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's the second last question he's asked.

5-3-1 was always a "template", though. He gives examples of assistance but it's always been open to tweak. The "magic" of the program is centered around the big lifts. So, if you stay with the structure and progress on them, and start working off a 90% max, then you're still doing 5-3-1.

I was really just wondering what you would be "wrong" with using it like a body part split or what it would be missing.

KPj