your favourite routine and exercise

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: your favourite routine and exercise

Post by pdellorto » Fri May 13, 2011 7:02 am

nygmen wrote:A lot of people are going to need more volume that 3x5 at 65%,75%,85% and 3x3 at 70,80,90, or whatever the %'s are.
Since it's 5+, 3+, and 1+, it's usually a bit more than 3 x 5 and 3 x 3 and 5, 3, 1. That last "or more" set really forces you to push hard with a weight heavy enough to matter to you in an exercise that uses a lot of musculature. Especially early on, if you really do 90% of your 1RM and then follow the percentages, you can get a lot of reps in.

And if you need more volume, there are so many options - some people do another back-off AMRAP set, you can do the 5 x 10 "boring but big" (or is it "big but boring") and keep the rests short, you can swap in higher-volume accessory work. So many options once you bang out your 5/3/1 sets. You can really use it to answer the question, how do I program the sets, reps, and weights for my compound exercises? From there, do whatever else you need to do.

Still I'd think it was a better approach for what it was designed for - getting strong (and big) with built-in adjustments for how you feel that day.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Fri May 13, 2011 7:27 am

5/3/1 is my favourite, but only because it's the only one i've ever really done. I started on SS, but because of a shoulder problem i never really executed the program properly. I just squatted 3 days a week with lots of pulling, pushing was a no go. I've been using 5/3/1 on two of my lifts for 18 months now, and on all four of them for nearly a year.

Favourite exercise is deadlifts.

jackthestrat
Novice
Novice

Post by jackthestrat » Fri May 13, 2011 7:47 am

Favorite Exercise:Deadlift

Favorite Routine:5/3/1 Boring But Big
4 day week M,T/Thr,Fri

Conditioning:
Car Pushes on Wednesday and Sunday
3 mile trail runs on Monday, thursday after upper body sessions

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri May 13, 2011 8:10 am

On another note, I think "5 x 10" could be one of the most underrated set/rep schemes around. Looks so simple but it's so brutal. It's amazing how you just seem to die after the third set especially. Quite humbling.

KPj

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Fri May 13, 2011 8:26 am

nygmen wrote:I don't mean to say you can't bastardize 5/3/1 and make progress, but it would be a disservice to call it 5/3/1/.
As long as you do the 5/3/1 rep scheme for the main lifts, i would say it's 5/3/1. For instance take squats. You could a volume workout -

5/3/1 Squats with an extra AMRAP @ 75%
BBB 5 x 10 @ 50%
Leg Press 5 x 10-15
Leg Curls 3-5 x 10-15
Leg Extensions 3-5 x 10-15

or a something completely different

5/3/1 Squats
Reverse Lunges
Rollouts

Two completely different workouts, yet both use 5/3/1. You adapt it to what your goals are.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri May 13, 2011 10:46 am

I like 5-3-1 as a loading template.
My favorite split is:
Monday-Squat
Tuesday-Horizontal push/pull
Wednesday-Core
Thursday-Deadlift
Friday-Vertical push/pull

I don't really have a favorite exercise. Any exercise is great while I'm making progress but they all suck once the progress stops.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri May 13, 2011 11:24 am

I expected 5/3/1 would be a popular choice, I tried using the percentage's to get my deadlift numbers up and it worked really well. I wasn't doing any of the rest of the program as written, just using the percentages to periodise the main lift and saw decent increases in strength every cycle.

I think I might switch to 5/3/1 for my bench, overhead and squat days. I don't do a conventional deadlift anymore because it ruins my back (although that's a topic for another thread entirely) and I don't think it would work so well with Romanian deadlifts (my deadlift of choice).

I'm disappointed in the lack of love for the Olympic lifts here people!

jackthestrat
Novice
Novice

Post by jackthestrat » Fri May 13, 2011 11:46 am

KPj wrote:On another note, I think "5 x 10" could be one of the most underrated set/rep schemes around. Looks so simple but it's so brutal. It's amazing how you just seem to die after the third set especially. Quite humbling.

KPj

It'll make you grow. I credit the BBB volume for making my backbone disappear behind a wall of muscle. Very quickly, too.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Fri May 13, 2011 11:52 am

My favorite exercise is the Back Squat.

My favorite program is The Bulgarian Method, I've never really done it but if the Bulgarians can destroy everyone in weightlifting with it then it's gotta be good.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Fri May 13, 2011 7:37 pm

pdellorto wrote: Still I'd think it was a better approach for what it was designed for - getting strong (and big) with built-in adjustments for how you feel that day.
This is really what I was trying to get at.

I mean it was designed to be "one thing" (I use that term for lack of a better term), so to try and make it 300 other things, while it may work, really isn't want he intended. At least that is my interpretation of what he was trying to say.

KISS at it purest I guess. Once you try and turn it into a BB split it feels like it stops being KISS. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Mon May 16, 2011 4:23 am

robertscott wrote: I'm disappointed in the lack of love for the Olympic lifts here people!
I have pretty strict goals for December, without putting myself down too much I don't think my bench will get there (pretty confident on the others though), if I get them, this is where I am going next. I really admire a top form clean and jerk, it's so impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGESkE-GzUE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Mon May 16, 2011 5:07 am

RobertB wrote: I have pretty strict goals for December, without putting myself down too much I don't think my bench will get there (pretty confident on the others though), if I get them, this is where I am going next. I really admire a top form clean and jerk, it's so impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGESkE-GzUE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I agree, great c&j! I think his anthropometry helps. I might try doing jerks with a wider grip like him.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon May 16, 2011 9:15 am

robertscott wrote:I'm disappointed in the lack of love for the Olympic lifts here people!
In my case, I was never formally taught anything except the barbell snatch, and then only briefly.

I love the kettlebell versions of the O-lifts - the clean especially, but also the snatch. But I was formally taught them.

I'm not yet convinced by the argument that you can just learn the O-lifts from watching internet video. Especially because it's often (although not exclusively) espoused by people who learned the O-lifts from hands-on coaching. I know people who've learned submissions or strikes from internet videos, too, but no one who learned to fight exclusively from the internet. I learned many, many lifts from watching stuff on the net or reading books, but I didn't learn them well until I started either coaching them or being coached in them.
Last edited by pdellorto on Mon May 16, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon May 16, 2011 9:38 am

I used to do some olympic lifting but I haven't since my sholder injury. I know that they were unrelated to the injury but my shoulder just doesn't feel stable enough. I'm gradually getting back to cleans and push presses.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon May 16, 2011 12:10 pm

95 lb TGUs, with extended arms I presume, and your shoudler doesn't feel stable enough for Oly lifts ? ( I tried standard DB TGUs the other day, with like 2 lbs, and I still dont feel great about my right shoulder. I'd rather do them holding a 40 lb bag )

I do definately perceive how O-lifting would have the potential to test the joints, I'm no where close to trying them