Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Chest + Triceps

Post by matthewmccaw » Thu May 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Just looking for some more advice

What it is...on my chest + tricep day which consists of flat bench 4 x 8 going up 10 kg every set, incine dumbbell bench going up 5 kg every set, body weight dips 4 x 10, tricep rope push downs 4 x 8 going up a couple of kg every set and close grip bench press 4x 8 going up 2.5 kg every set.

I usually reach failure anything between 2 to 6 reps on my last sets.... but after working out I don't feel like wrecked like for example after back and biceps I feel like Iv gone rounds with Mike Tyson. Even after increasisng intesity cutting to 30 seconds between reps.

Any advice to ammend this to be a more affective workout appreciated.

Thanks...Matthew

nygmen

Re: Chest + Triceps

Post by nygmen » Thu May 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Is your chest growing and are you getting stronger?

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Fri May 13, 2011 2:00 am

nygmen wrote:Is your chest growing and are you getting stronger?
Not much as im thin enough its quite hard to tell, I' going to start taking measurements I think my chest is 40 inches at the moment, although wereas on my back I'm getting big gains in strength for instance my deadlift goes up nearly every week, I'v been stuck with my bench going up and down every week with very little strengths gains.

Thanks Matthew

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Fri May 13, 2011 6:40 am

Maybe try using your 10-12 rep max for your top set for awhile, or add in a second top set of 8ish.

You may need more volume, you may also need to hit chest twice a week.

Are you eating to grow?

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Fri May 13, 2011 7:18 am

So your concern is size and your bench max?

I'd pick one of those as your main concern. Personally, I'd pick the bench max. It'll make it easier to measure small increases (bench goes up = stronger; chest measurement goes up a few mm = could be muscle size, water retention, minor tape measure position change, etc.)

I think your best approach is to:

1) Make sure you're eating enough. You said you are thin; fix that! Thin people have no chest. :)

2) Once you've done that, eat more. Err on the side of extra food if your concern is size and strength.

Once that's done, vary the routine. I think you're probably doing too much - you've got 40 dips, 96 bench presses of various sorts, and 32 rope pushdowns. I'd cut it down - maybe do bench, then some incline bench or close grip bench or dips for higher reps for accessory work. Do the fewer exercises harder - don't crank out reps, crank out heavy benches and then go lighter for your accessories and keep the weight light enough that you can get them all in (but barely).

If that doesn't work, you can add in more volume. If your goal is strength, and if you're thin, I'd wonder why you need a "chest and triceps day" instead of, say, a general upper body day. That makes adding in a second day easy - let's say a maximum effort upper body day and get in heavy benching + lighter accessories, and then another day of higher rep accessory work (say, bench + incline DB bench on the max effort day, dips and triceps extensions on the higher rep day). That way your chest gets it twice a week, it gets a break from the intensity one day and from the high volume the other day, and you get to justify even more food. :)

That is how I'd approach it.

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Fri May 13, 2011 10:48 am

nygmen wrote:Maybe try using your 10-12 rep max for your top set for awhile, or add in a second top set of 8ish.

You may need more volume, you may also need to hit chest twice a week.

Are you eating to grow?
Yes I'm eating to grow 5 good meals a day protein shake full of cals meal replacement drinks etc etc.. I was hitting my chest twice a week although stopped through advice given to me on this site, I was actually doing even more exercises but was told I was doing far too much which I think is rite I'm still doing too much for growth I think just am trying to push a good workout.

Thanks Matthew

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Fri May 13, 2011 10:59 am

pdellorto wrote:So your concern is size and your bench max?

I'd pick one of those as your main concern. Personally, I'd pick the bench max. It'll make it easier to measure small increases (bench goes up = stronger; chest measurement goes up a few mm = could be muscle size, water retention, minor tape measure position change, etc.)

I think your best approach is to:

1) Make sure you're eating enough. You said you are thin; fix that! Thin people have no chest. :)

2) Once you've done that, eat more. Err on the side of extra food if your concern is size and strength.

Once that's done, vary the routine. I think you're probably doing too much - you've got 40 dips, 96 bench presses of various sorts, and 32 rope pushdowns. I'd cut it down - maybe do bench, then some incline bench or close grip bench or dips for higher reps for accessory work. Do the fewer exercises harder - don't crank out reps, crank out heavy benches and then go lighter for your accessories and keep the weight light enough that you can get them all in (but barely).

If that doesn't work, you can add in more volume. If your goal is strength, and if you're thin, I'd wonder why you need a "chest and triceps day" instead of, say, a general upper body day. That makes adding in a second day easy - let's say a maximum effort upper body day and get in heavy benching + lighter accessories, and then another day of higher rep accessory work (say, bench + incline DB bench on the max effort day, dips and triceps extensions on the higher rep day). That way your chest gets it twice a week, it gets a break from the intensity one day and from the high volume the other day, and you get to justify even more food. :)

That is how I'd approach it.
My goal is size, the strength part only comes into it because I know I need to get stronger to get bigger, I really feel I'm eating plenty although I am going to add a gainer drink that 1250 kcals and 52g protein in2 my day, for size I thought I sort of needed to stay in the 8-10 rep range so my bench only really gets really heavy on last set were I maybe only get 4 reps, I'm think I should maybe take the weight down a little so I'l maybe get 6 reps last set. I was thinking of bringing my workout down to try to be as close to 70 per cent compound as i could, I jus really dont know how I'm getting so much more out of my back + biceps day my lats and biceps are always aching!

Thanks Matthew.
Last edited by matthewmccaw on Fri May 13, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Fri May 13, 2011 12:50 pm

You might be one of the persons that can effectively use GOMAD without putting on a lot of fat.
GOMAD = 1 Gallon of milk (fullfat) a day. About 2400kcal , 120g of protein.
A good outline of what GOMAD is

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Fri May 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Wouter wrote:You might be one of the persons that can effectively use GOMAD without putting on a lot of fat.
GOMAD = 1 Gallon of milk (fullfat) a day. About 2400kcal , 120g of protein.
A good outline of what GOMAD is
Yes this is oldskool at the moment I take on about half a gallon slightly less, I am going to try and up that.

Thanks Matthew.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Fri May 13, 2011 7:27 pm

matthewmccaw wrote: I was hitting my chest twice a week although stopped
Were you achieving your desired results before you stopped training chest twice a week?

I'm still doing too much for growth I think just am trying to push a good workout.
At the level of intensity you are describing, I really don't think your trying too hard and that is preventing growth. I would be more inclined to think it is the opposite, particularly if you truly are eating at a caloric surplus.

add 300-500 cals to your day, mostly from protein, and add in 1-3 more top sets of your first move of the day. See if you don't start moving in the right direction after a good handful of weeks or more.

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Sat May 14, 2011 4:14 am

nygmen wrote:
matthewmccaw wrote: I was hitting my chest twice a week although stopped
Were you achieving your desired results before you stopped training chest twice a week?

I'm still doing too much for growth I think just am trying to push a good workout.
At the level of intensity you are describing, I really don't think your trying too hard and that is preventing growth. I would be more inclined to think it is the opposite, particularly if you truly are eating at a caloric surplus.

add 300-500 cals to your day, mostly from protein, and add in 1-3 more top sets of your first move of the day. See if you don't start moving in the right direction after a good handful of weeks or more.
I think my strength was building quicker am going to have to start logging it, although the split I'v just developed doesnt give me time for a second chest day, Im going to add another set to my my flat bench and bring the weight up slightly slower see how that goes.

Thanks Matthew.