Back Squat, Knees past toes

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Back Squat, Knees past toes

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue May 17, 2011 11:44 am

good to get clarification, at least within this thread.

after watching more film of me, I see I was shifting weight to the front of my feet. Bad bad bad. Knees were just slightly over toes. Depth ok, but a tendency to favor the left leg and buckle the right knee.

I'm going down about 50 lbs and increasing the frequency and volume of "heavy" squats. In my focus on puting more weight on the bar, there have been compromises. I need to feel good about droppnig the weight though, and not be beating myself up because I may be "scared of the heavier weights"...

great link Mark.

User avatar
mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: Back Squat, Knees past toes

Post by mark74 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:28 pm

Paperclip wrote:From my experience, what Kenny said is absolutely true because I had groin strain, which I never experienced before, from doing low bar squats and sumo deadlifts.
AFAICT using a wide stance, the adductors are used much more. Rip teaches to push the knees as far out as possible for this and other reasons: it minimizes the chance of rounding the back as the femur can clear the hip more easily, in this article (PDF) he calls it "hip impingement" and "active hip", but the same matter is discussed in Starting Strength. Also using more muscles in synergy should help move more weight.
Paperclip wrote:BTW it's kind of amazed me that a PL squat suit can add 50-70kg (110-154lb) to your squat!
I was reading just yesterday Wikipedia about bench shirts, found this part nothing short of impressive:
(for example, Scot Mendelson, whose shirted bench press record is 1030[4] lbs, while his unshirted best is 715 lbs), records across different federations or categories may not be directly comparable
Oscar_Actuary wrote:after watching more film of me, I see I was shifting weight to the front of my feet. Bad bad bad.
I think some amount of shift is acceptable..? when the load is challenging I can feel a good part of the weight on the balls of my feet, regardless of the habit of keeping my toes curled up all the time.

edit: forgotten link to Rip's article
I don't know where the blind could lead the sightless
but I'd still like to witness

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:21 am
Location: Indonesia

Re: Back Squat, Knees past toes

Post by Paperclip » Tue May 17, 2011 1:54 pm

mark74 wrote: AFAICT using a wide stance, the adductors are used much more. Rip teaches to push the knees as far out as possible for this and other reasons: it minimizes the chance of rounding the back as the femur can clear the hip more easily, in this article (PDF) he calls it "hip impingement" and "active hip", but the same matter is discussed in Starting Strength. Also using more muscles in synergy should help move more weight.
"Pulled" adductor muscles could be what caused my groin strain.
mark74 wrote: I was reading just yesterday Wikipedia about bench shirts, found this part nothing short of impressive:
(for example, Scot Mendelson, whose shirted bench press record is 1030[4] lbs, while his unshirted best is 715 lbs), records across different federations or categories may not be directly comparable
That suit indeed did a lot.... I didn't bother to check the link but maybe he's using multiple suits?

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Back Squat, Knees past toes

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue May 17, 2011 3:08 pm

overheard...

(Jim and Bill watching their favorite sports talk show)

Jim: "Has Betty gained a lot of weight"
Bill: "You know the camera adds about 10 lbs"
Jim: "Well, there must be about 6 cameras on her then."

Post Reply