need sum advice here im devastated here broke my finger

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Nevage

Re: need sum advice here im devastated here broke my finger

Post by Nevage » Sun May 22, 2011 10:32 pm

Due to cross education, you'll still increase strength in your other arm/pec/shoulder to quite a degree. I don't think 4 - 6 weeks is enough time for you to make noticeable muscle gains so if it keeps your strength up and even increases your strength just train with one side if you have to. Google 'cross education and resistance training' or something along those lines.

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Wed May 25, 2011 11:56 am

matthewmccaw wrote:
stuward wrote:You could probably rig up a wrist strap, hook type arrangement so you could pull with your bad wrist without using your hand. I don't know if it would work. It's just an idea.
yes that is a helpful idea...thanks...jus worrie bout doing more damage 2 finger on things like bench...incline would be out of de question cheers stu ur advise is much appreciated.
matthew
Went and done chest and tri's earler without a problem...well pleased and am getting gloves with hooks for back and biceps tomorrow just needed to ammend my workout a bit but think its going to work out fine thank god...as for the finger I dont no :(

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Wed May 25, 2011 11:58 am

pdellorto wrote:
matthewmccaw wrote:What i'm looking is bulk tho was starting to see gains, will 1 arm pressing not lead to imbalances?
I'm trying to avoid cardio altho it could maybe keep a level of fitness up...I'm goint 2 do a lot of sqatting good mornings etc and see about benching just using the palm of the bad hand ..see how sore it is definitely dont want to make my finger any worse as im thinking of starting to box next year. Im really worried about what I can do for bicep work to thanks matthew
Taking them in turn:

- if it leads to imbalances, so what? You can always do extra work on the other side when the finger heals. Once it's back do an extra set on that side for a while until it's back to where you want it.

- if the palm is okay, get a strap and do sled chest presses - palm the strap handle and press it out in front of you, walk forward and do it again. No worries about dropping the weight.

- biceps - put an ankle strap on the wrist and do cable curls. You'll lose a bit without being able to squeeze the hand but that's fine.

As for boxing . . . I've been doing striking practice for months with a broken knuckle. Heh. But I agree it's better to wait. :D
My push day actually worked out fine today even with the inclines am well pleases, got de hooks 4for back and biceps tomorro . thanks pete

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Thu May 26, 2011 7:30 am

pdellorto wrote:
matthewmccaw wrote:What i'm looking is bulk tho was starting to see gains, will 1 arm pressing not lead to imbalances?
I'm trying to avoid cardio altho it could maybe keep a level of fitness up...I'm goint 2 do a lot of sqatting good mornings etc and see about benching just using the palm of the bad hand ..see how sore it is definitely dont want to make my finger any worse as im thinking of starting to box next year. Im really worried about what I can do for bicep work to thanks matthew
Taking them in turn:

- if it leads to imbalances, so what? You can always do extra work on the other side when the finger heals. Once it's back do an extra set on that side for a while until it's back to where you want it.

- if the palm is okay, get a strap and do sled chest presses - palm the strap handle and press it out in front of you, walk forward and do it again. No worries about dropping the weight.

- biceps - put an ankle strap on the wrist and do cable curls. You'll lose a bit without being able to squeeze the hand but that's fine.

As for boxing . . . I've been doing striking practice for months with a broken knuckle. Heh. But I agree it's better to wait. :D
been told 2 stop training have to get an operation on tuesday get metal in my finger av a big plastic spint on now think im going to just work my left side its weaker anyway mite even end up doin good in the long run!

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Thu May 26, 2011 7:43 am

how'd you break it in the first place?

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Thu May 26, 2011 11:46 am

robertscott wrote:how'd you break it in the first place?
Fight mate with a big polish lad was either fight or back away so wasnt going to back away altho I now wish i had of!!