Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

24fps
Rookie
Rookie

Damn shin splints

Post by 24fps » Wed May 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi all,

Well whatever I do I can seem to get rid of this annoying affliction. I have no idea how they started, I am always very careful and apply myself to stretching and start things slowly every time I workout.

First I started with a mix of over the counter pain reliever and massages, that didn't do it. Then I completely stop any running for about a month and a half while still taking pain relievers and doing massages, that didn't do it either. I actually don't feel any pain while walking but as soon as I hit the treadmill the pain is back.

I've also changed the way I am running. Before I was a pounder, now I run with the front of my feet. Even changing how I run didn't change a thing, the pain is always back. Also, I don't hit the ground running, so to speak, when I start on the treadmill the progression from light jog to running is a long one, more than enough time for my leg muscles to acclimate themselves.

Thing is, I started doing HIIT training on the treadmill and I am loving it. Yesterday was a workout day so I ran for about 30 minutes, the pain was mild and I was able to complete my 30-minute program. Today was not a training day but I went to the gym for another 30min HIIT session, I need to lose some fat and thus feel that I need to run more than 2x/week (I train 3x/week but don't run on my leg day). Boy the pain was back with a vengeance, not even 5 minute in I was already feeling the pain and it wasn't mild but very moderate.

I am this close to book an appointment with a physical therapist but decided to post here first.

Anybody out there who suffered from this affliction and was successful in permanently getting rid of it?

Cheers,

Phil

jml
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Damn shin splints

Post by jml » Wed May 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Shin splints aren't a serious injury. Stop doing what hurts (running) for a while and you should heal up. Instead of running, you can ride a bike/stationary bike for cardio/HIIT. Once you are healed, your improved running form should prevent the pain from coming back. If the pain comes back, wait longer until you run again.

Sampson7

Post by Sampson7 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:48 pm

applying ice to the spots that hurt for 10 minutes several times a day may help.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed May 25, 2011 10:39 pm

30 minutes is a bit of a long time for HIIT. When you start over, start with 4 minute Tabatas, or something similar.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Wed May 25, 2011 10:59 pm

I know how you feel, I think my shin splints are finally gone, stop running, do some swimming, biking and exersice the front calf muscle.

Velcropop
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Velcropop » Fri May 27, 2011 2:00 am

A good firm myofascial massage of the shin (pre and post-exercise) always seems to help me. That and really stretching out my calves and dorsiflexion work to loosen up the lower legs.

tyciol
Necromancer
Necromancer

Post by tyciol » Fri May 27, 2011 9:17 am

Ugh I just got these today because I was enjoying that I could still run at a decent speed and overlooked that I was doing it on a downhill slope on some concrete. Impact feels bad man...

24fps
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 24fps » Tue May 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Sorry for the late reply, swamped with work!

JungleDoc : I know it is a bit long for since I don't want to aggravate the splint shins I don't go all out at once but rather a slow 5-10 minutes build-up. In any case big thanks for suggesting Tabatas, I didn't even know these things existed before I read your reply. They can sure replace the HIIT on the treadmill, thus alleviating my fear for aggravating the shins.

Velcrocrop : Do you have a video example of the stretching exercise you are referring to? I found lower legs stretching exercise but they mostly work the calves and the outer tibia muscle, my splint shins are located in the inside of the shins.

Thanks!

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue May 31, 2011 6:47 pm

Normally shin splints involve the anterior tibialis. It sounds like you may have something else, perhaps a stress fracture or some other injury. Here's some more info. http://www.brianmac.co.uk/shin.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;