program complete?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

ernstlenzer
Rookie
Rookie

program complete?

Post by ernstlenzer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:48 am

I've been working out for about 9 months now. Mostly isolation exercises, because they're much easier and I still got considerable gain from it. But now I want to try a program based on mostly compound exercises, as that's supposedly much better.

I plan on doing squats, pull ups, deadlifts, bench presses and shoulder press. And just do 10 sets of 10 reps with the highest possible weight. I read that doing 10 sets helps a lot because the body really recruits all muscle fibers (German Volume Training).

My questions:
1. Are those 5 exercises sufficient for a complete program or am I missing something?
2. Are you supposed to do deadlifts and squats or do you just pick one, because they mostly train the same muscles?

Also general opinions about this plan would be helpful.

Thanks

Higgy
Rookie
Rookie

Re: program complete?

Post by Higgy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:32 am

I would suggest a good beginner 5x5 program. Either Starting Strength (SS) or Strong Lifts (SL). As for the question about squats and deadlift, they are both excellent compound lifts. I prefer to do deadlifts only once a week and for only 1x5 and every 3rd week do 5x5. They seem to tax me more then squats. Other exercise to consider are pushups and bentover BB rows.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:25 am

ernstlenzer wrote:I've been working out for about 9 months now. Mostly isolation exercises, because they're much easier and I still got considerable gain from it. But now I want to try a program based on mostly compound exercises, as that's supposedly much better.

I plan on doing squats, pull ups, deadlifts, bench presses and shoulder press. And just do 10 sets of 10 reps with the highest possible weight. I read that doing 10 sets helps a lot because the body really recruits all muscle fibers (German Volume Training).

My questions:
1. Are those 5 exercises sufficient for a complete program or am I missing something?
2. Are you supposed to do deadlifts and squats or do you just pick one, because they mostly train the same muscles?

Also general opinions about this plan would be helpful.

Thanks
1. You're missing a horizontal pull. Add in Pendlay rows, seated pulls or power cleans.

2. I wouldn't attempt a 10x10 of all these at once. You could alternate, 1 lwr body, 1 push, 1 pull in 1 workout, then do the other exercises in the second workout. Ideally, I'd split it over 4 workouts, 1. Squat 2. Bench + Rows 3. Deadlifts 4. Press + Pull ups. I would superset the 2 upper body exercises.

You should also cyle your volume/intensity. GVT is fine for a time but too much to sustain. It also requires you to lose too low a weight for strength. Cycling (periodization) allows you to progress on a number of fronts over time.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:10 pm

where are you in your linear/nonlinear strength progression?

i.e. are you intermediate/novice/supertrained ?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:18 pm

GVT is not a novice technique. Stick with a basic 5x5 for a few months.

Actually, GVT isn't something to use as an ongoing program. It's more for the intermediate/advanced lifter for a few weeks of volume work.

ernstlenzer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ernstlenzer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:53 am

@Higgy: I probably do 5x5 after I tried 10x10.

@stuward: Thanks, that's very helpful. I read about cycling seems like a good idea.

So do you think this would work?
1st day: squat
2nd day: bench press, pendlay rows
3rd day: deadlifts
4th day: shoulder press, pull ups.

@Oscar_Actuary: probably novice.

@Jungledoc: I know it's not really for beginners, I just want to try it for some time and see if it works for me. If it doesn't I just switch to something else again.