Is training three times a week...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Neurosis
Rookie
Rookie

Is training three times a week...

Post by Neurosis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:01 am

With a days recovery inbetween, 'undertraining' for a little guy?

For example: Day 1 Arms
Break
Day 2 Chest
Break
Day 3 Legs/Back
etc.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Is training three times a week...

Post by robertscott » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:05 am

training 3 times a week is fine, but please tell me that isn't the split you are using!?

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ellerbus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:14 am

if I were you I'd go check out / read / research Starting Strength by Ripptoe

you'll still get a basic 3 day a week split, but with better results

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 am

I think beginners should hit more muscles more often than you have on that schedule

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:36 pm

Are you relatively new to weight training? If so, that split isn't a good one for you. It might be OK for an intermediate or advanced body builder, but not for you. Every novice builder needs a good foundation of strength. Later if you want to specialize in body building, you might want to adopt this or some other similar split.

I second the vote for Starting Strength.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Jungledoc wrote: It might be OK for an intermediate or advanced body builder, but not for you.
even then, it is still a bit lacking in a couple area's. Shoot, assuming his exercise selection is 100% spot on, I don't think that would be challenging enough to spark good progress.

Neurosis wrote:With a days recovery inbetween, 'undertraining' for a little guy?

For example: Day 1 Arms
Break
Day 2 Chest
Break
Day 3 Legs/Back
etc.
With that split, yes you are undertraining. You will see some newb gains, but they won't be as good as they could be.

If you are married to the idea of a body part split I can go into much more detail, but you'll need 4 or more days a week.

Otherwise, the TBT suggestions aren't bad, just throw some arm work and laterals in on Mondays & Fridays if you have aesthetic goals.

Again, I can go into more detail but for your sake and my own, lol, I'm not right now.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:56 pm

am I the only person in the world who doesn't like Starting Strength?

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:02 pm

robertscott wrote:am I the only person in the world who doesn't like Starting Strength?

I don't either, lol.

But it is light years ahead of what he is currently doing.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:35 pm

robertscott wrote:am I the only person in the world who doesn't like Starting Strength?
I prefer Stronglifts, much simpler for a beginner. I intend to read Starting Strength to find out why Stronglifts does what it does.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:14 pm

BTW looking at Rip's history as a powerlifter and as a strength coach (please correct me if I'm wrong), also at his mentor Bill Star, I think SS is primarily aimed at football players because of the heavy squatting and the inclusion of power clean. Though it can be suitable for athletics too and some other sports where you need to jump/run around.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:35 am

I didn't power clean or front squat initially - I don't think power clean is great for newbies who can't feel their body properly, maybe someone whos been doing sports since early teens(/earlier) but end up doing reverse forearm curls with weird form.

Sorry to hijack, everythings been said already, Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting strength.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:46 am

RS, I'm pretty much with you. SS is good, for those concentrating on strength and strength sports, but I think there are many other more varied routines, which still focus on compounds, which are better for general fitness, or as a starter for bodybuilding. I put some examples up in the sticky of a basic collection of routines, and are under the beginners routines.

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:19 am

KenDowns wrote:I intend to read Starting Strength to find out why Stronglifts does what it does.
You'd be likely in for a disappointment, the book mostly explains the how not the whys. Still, it has more depth than most stuff I had the chance to read or watch.

On a more general note, SS as a program is not set in stone. There are variations that have been used by Rip, like "Onus Wunsler", "Practical Programming version", the "Whichita Falls" version, and probably there are others, so the Power Clean can be avoided. Also the book has an extensive section on accessory lifts: besides covering many variations of the main lifts, he wrote about chin ups and pullups, rows, dips, curls and probably more I don't remember.

There's an unofficial SS wiki which has information on program variations:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/ ... g_Strength" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also enough to start doing the SS program but you'll have to gather bits and pieces around the 'net and figuring out the technique for the various lifts (as taught in the book) can be a time consuming task. OTOH the book is definitely worth the money even if you don't do SS.

Between SS and SL my vote would certainly be for SS. SL covers a lot of ground but technique articles are IMO too bare bones to be truly useful. Mostly everything is there, but I think a beginner would need a lot of luck to get it all right just from those. As for the SS wiki, you'll have to do a lot of searching, reading and watching.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:31 am

TimD wrote:RS, I'm pretty much with you. SS is good, for those concentrating on strength and strength sports, but I think there are many other more varied routines, which still focus on compounds, which are better for general fitness, or as a starter for bodybuilding. I put some examples up in the sticky of a basic collection of routines, and are under the beginners routines.
shame nobody ever reads the sticky! I think SS is good if you are going to play American football (yup, I had to add the word "American") or wrestle or something like that, but seeing as how most people just lift for the aesthetic, fitness benefits I don't think it's all that good.

WS4SB is the ultimate routine I think, i don't understand why so few noobs try it.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:10 am

Too many people try to make strength training routines in to bodybuilding routines.

Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine

Brian Haycock - Hypertrophy Specific Training

There's two - probably all you'll need for the next cpl years.