Think of an exercise...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Think of an exercise...

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:54 am

I can do for my Quads that does not involve ankle dorsiflexion.
Another thread, so won't bore you with details
I can do Deadlifts, but Squats bother it, probabluy due to the downward weight pressure, and flexed ankle.
I see lunges and squats variations on the exercise board. I can do cable extensions (yippie), no leg press in home gym.
Maybe some split leg Single Leg db Squats, probably could do with out flexing ankle too much, meh, not sure. Everything I can think of actually works the posterior side more. Side note: good time for Good Mornings, which, I've been considering for awhile to help keep upright during squats.
I plan to go 3 weeks avoiding movements that bother my left ankle and left elbow. I'm left dominant, so, actually, this will be a great chance to work on imbalances even more than normal.

wel, I digress.
Thanks for any ideas:

summary: Quad work, that does not irritate ankle (dorsilflex)

ps. I can do Squats.. without pain, until the night and next day, then 48 hours later, I can do them again. I'd like to skip the pain part. Walking up and down stars, figure, holding on to the rail is not appealing, forever.

bam

Re: Think of an exercise...

Post by bam » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:12 am

you already mentioned deadlifts....

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:45 am

Reverse lunges.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:04 am

Are you doing something to improve ankle mobility?

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:48 pm

Proper Knob wrote:Reverse lunges.
From experience, or are you just figuring? I see what you're saying. I’m not sure they won’t load the ankle in flexion, but I’ll certainly try them.

As far as mobility work, I’m not doing anything formal, just some side to side and general rotation, here and there. It really gets worse the night of squats and goes mostly away by 2:00 pm the next day, then late at night, stiffen/sore again.
Before dropping a small weight on the inner bone, I really had no issues. Planying tennnis gave me sore ankles, but at 300 lbs, and having not run for yrs, that would be normal. It would go away and later tennis matches did not bother it.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:37 pm

leg extensions

carlito
Novice
Novice

Post by carlito » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:58 pm

High step ups?

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Yes, I fogrot to mention leg extensions. I do have cables at home. They were a big part of the pre-powercage home gym days. At least it would be some resistance work.
High step ups would irritate it. Walking up and down stairs does.

For a few weeks, I be alright.
As long as the rest helps.

Should I do more mobility work, Doc?

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:20 pm

everyone should do more mobility work, much more.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:Yes, I fogrot to mention leg extensions. I do have cables at home. They were a big part of the pre-powercage home gym days. At least it would be some resistance work.

High step-ups shouldn't involve much,if any, dorsiflexion. Not like steps.

Do something to change things. Otherwise, what will keep the same thing from happening when you start squatting again?

Yeah, stretch, mobility drills--something.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:Yes, I fogrot to mention leg extensions. I do have cables at home. They were a big part of the pre-powercage home gym days. At least it would be some resistance work.

High step-ups shouldn't involve much,if any, dorsiflexion. Not like steps.

Do something to change things. Otherwise, what will keep the same thing from happening when you start squatting again?

Yeah, stretch, mobility drills--something.
I'm thinking step ups are when you step on a raised box, isn't that like a stair just higher? Even if the flexion is not past nuetral, I find momentum moves that cause the ankle to want to stabilize, to be irritating - later. nothing really bothers in during, as long as I'm been resting a day.

The ankle was no problem until after I dropped something on the tibia tendon area. Now it hurts. Also, two days after that I ran on treadmill, for first time in several weeks. But, never would it hurt like this the next day or later that night after squats. I never felt that limited by mobility of ankle.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:16 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:From experience, or are you just figuring? I see what you're saying. I’m not sure they won’t load the ankle in flexion, but I’ll certainly try them.
Yep my mistake. I forgot about the leg which lunges back, there will be a lot of dorsiflexion there. Try them anyway though, see what happens.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:18 am

Proper Knob wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:From experience, or are you just figuring? I see what you're saying. I’m not sure they won’t load the ankle in flexion, but I’ll certainly try them.
Yep my mistake. I forgot about the leg which lunges back, there will be a lot of dorsiflexion there. Try them anyway though, see what happens.
You can do bulgarian split squats. Elevate the rear leg by placing in on a bench in whatever way doesn't bother your ankle, then squat with the other leg. You can keep the shin on your working side quite vertical since your back leg provides some support to keep you from fallinging over backwards. You probably won't need much external weight. If you have a resistance band and an overhead anchor you can probably rig up an assist if you need it.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:50 pm

That sounds doable. I was thinking of unilateral work, if nothing else for the weaker right side. I may favor total rest for the left ankle this week and get some weight on it next, with straight shins being the first type. Maybe some walking distances and general mobility.
I've taken a rare three days off (assuming I do nothing tonight.). I get agitated/ancy during rest - or too much free time. Thinking of another active thread, thats not a good sign. I could really use a more healthy approach

alright, thanks for all the thoughts and good ideas

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:55 pm

leg press?