Novice
Novice

Re: Should I deload?

Post by carlito » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:19 am

nygmen wrote:
carlito wrote:
nygmen wrote:http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 095#p72095

I feel like I'm pimping myself here, lol
lol Thanks, I actually read that thread the other day, just completely forgot about it. Looks a good routine though, apart from I wouldn't be doing the lateral raises.
Why wouldn't you do the raises?

Depending on your answer I have multiple responses.

But... What it really boils down to is this:

You run a routine with an arm day, that you can't recover from, and you don't even squat. This means your diet is awful, your work capacity is awful or maybe both.

You are taking steps to improve your diet, which is a step in the right direction. Just keep the big picture in mind. Doing no sets of raises or doing 6-8 a week isn't going to make or break you, you don't even squat and can't recover.

You shouldn't even be worried about whether or not you would do raises right now.
Sorry, I should've explained that better. What I meant is I won't do lateral raises because I get issues with my upper traps when I do, most probably overactiveness. Wasn't slating your routine or anything.

It's only recently I haven't recovered well, I mean in the 3-4 weeks before I was doing squats and seemed to recover ok, just this last week it's not been great. Also I thought that my diet was quite good, I generally try to eat more than usual, got alot of meat, some fruit and vegetables, fibre. Then again I don't count calories so I don't know how much i'm getting. I get enough sleep too, even more so this week. What specifically do you thinks wrong with my diet? low carbs or sugar or something? That's all I can think of really, I'll admit I cut out alot of crap that I'd normally eat, instead choosing meat or fruit or something.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:24 am

carlito wrote:like for instance some of the comments claimed it was also a glutamine supllement aswell.
Well, of course it is. Any protein is a mixture of amino acids, and most naturally-occurring protein contains glutamine. It is one of the most abundant amino acids. So, saying that any protein supplement is a glutamine supplement is like saying that Coke is a source of sugar. It's true, but shouldn't be a great sales point.

Also, it is a non-essential amino acid, meaning that our bodies can make it, so we are not limited to getting it from dietary sources.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:23 pm

carlito wrote:Wasn't slating your routine or anything.
I didn't think you were.
What specifically do you thinks wrong with my diet?
Not enough cals. I listed out the foods I did because they are quick and sources of large amounts of cals.

carlito
Novice
Novice

Post by carlito » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:38 am

Ok, I'll try to be more flexible with my diet and include more cals, thanks.

@JungleDoc: Oh right, I had no idea really, thanks. I'll remember that next time I get some.

What's the recommended daily intake of protein shakes? This one says 2-3 servings, 2 scoops make 1 serving which equals 40g of protein, but I'm not sure how much I should take, as I don't want to waste any or overuse it unecessarily. Do you just aim for your bodyweight in grams including everything else you eat/drink in the day? I was thinking something like 40g after a workout and 20g just before bed, and non workout days just 40g before bed or something, Is that a good idea?

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:57 am

carlito wrote:...
What's the recommended daily intake of protein shakes? This one says 2-3 servings, 2 scoops make 1 serving which equals 40g of protein, but I'm not sure how much I should take, as I don't want to waste any or overuse it unecessarily. Do you just aim for your bodyweight in grams including everything else you eat/drink in the day? I was thinking something like 40g after a workout and 20g just before bed, and non workout days just 40g before bed or something, Is that a good idea?
It depends on how much protein you get from other sources. It's a convenient way to get it quickly after a workout but it's not the only way. A can of salmon will give you 40g as well. Work it in as you need to supplement your total protein intake and where you can, defer to whole foods. Your plan is a reasonable one assuming you're eating normal meals.

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:06 am

carlito wrote:I was thinking something like 40g after a workout and 20g just before bed, and non workout days just 40g before bed or something, Is that a good idea?
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... edtime.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

carlito
Novice
Novice

Post by carlito » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:09 am

mark74 wrote: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... edtime.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So, by that article, would it mean that taking protein shakes during the day is pointless, in terms of muscle building, unless they contained very slow digesting proteins? And maybe that protein should be taken less than an hour before bedtime, ie right before bed?

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:50 am

mark74 wrote:
carlito wrote:I was thinking something like 40g after a workout and 20g just before bed, and non workout days just 40g before bed or something, Is that a good idea?
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... edtime.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyone who bad mouths milk scares me off *dismisses any research* milk is the answer to everything! :)

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:54 am

Why pointless? I was merely implying that for a before-bed-use, casein may be better because it's a slower protein. However you don't need to buy casein protein powder, you can just drink milk or eat dairy as suggested in the article.

I use whey myself before weight training as a source of BCAAs per Leangains IF protocol, and sometimes after dinner as a way to reach the 1 g protein/lb LBM target (in the latter case, absorption is slowed down)
RobertB wrote:Anyone who bad mouths milk scares me off *dismisses any research* milk is the answer to everything! :)
LOL, here's more research for you to dismiss :)

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/resear ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

carlito
Novice
Novice

Post by carlito » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:08 am

So what you're suggesting is that protein shakes are better for before, or just after workouts and milk, because of the increased percentage of casein, is better before bed? Seems a reasonable idea. The protein powder I recently got contains 15% casein some soy and egg albumen too, I guess it's not the best choice before bed, compared to milk. The 2nd article talks about lactase enzyme helping you to digest the lactose in milk, this protein powder happens to contain 0.1% of that, would taking this protein shake fairly regularly help me digest milk then?

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:22 am

Yeah but it's more of an optimization or fine tuning rather a hard rule. I generally buy plain whey (isolates+concentrates) just because the fancy stuff usually costs a lot more money and I can't see the benefits. I'm also skeptical about the quality of soy protein and concerned by the potential hormonal effects of soy and soy stuff on men.

Soy is regarded to be a good thing for women, especially post menopausal. For men there are a lot of question marks. The fact that probably 95+% soy is also GMO only adds more IMO. You can read more about it here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/soy-scrutiny/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sometimes manufacturers add enzymes and other accessory ingredients to make their products look better than the competition's. I have no idea whether 0.1% can make a difference... but are you lactose intolerant ? In that case milk itself can be problematic but dairy often is not. Even then, lactose tolerance is not an on/off switch, you might not have problems up to a certain amount and that amount can even change in time. Slowly increasing the intake helps. Many lactose intolerant people can still take whey in moderate quantity and not experience any problem at all.
Last edited by mark74 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlito
Novice
Novice

Post by carlito » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:57 am

I think the first article had it right; 'A little knowledge is dangerous' something along those lines. Point is, the more articles you post the more I regret buying this particular brand of protein powder lol.

I was starting to think that milk for me wasn't digestable but I'm not so sure now, tbh this protein gives me more stomach issues if anything, so I'll probably go back to drinking more milk as I was before. afaik I'm not lactose intolerent. I just sort of lowered the intake of milk to see if I had any issues, but I don't think so now.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:09 am

milk is the single best thing ever for building muscle.

I have no proof of this, but it is SCIENTIFIC FACT

the more milk I drink, the better I look.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:02 am

If you have lactose problems, try hard cheese. It still has the casien and good saturated fat but doesn't have the lactose. It's sometimes easier to get raw cheese than it is to get raw milk.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:30 pm

carlito wrote:I think the first article had it right; 'A little knowledge is dangerous' something along those lines. Point is, the more articles you post the more I regret buying this particular brand of protein powder lol.

Dude, be careful to not over think this.

Total caloric intake trumps nutrient timing. Appropriate Macro's trump nutrient timing.

Just drink the protein you bought, and get a better brand next time. Don't worry about when you drink it, or if some other powder is marginally better than another at a certain time...

The important thing is to consistently eat enough of the right things over the course of the next couple years, while consistently getting stronger.