How Long will a 50% quad tear take to heal

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

MP9363
n00b
n00b

How Long will a 50% quad tear take to heal

Post by MP9363 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:09 pm

my son plays football and we just found out he has a 50% tear in his right quad. We were suprised by that outcome as he still has mobility in the knee (< 90 degrees) without pain and can walk without a noticeable limp. He is entering his senior year in high school and has worked hard to make the starting line up. With the season starting in September he is worried that we wont recover and be in playing shape by the start of the season. We are hoping that we will be assigned to begin rehab the first week of July, his doctor wanted him to rest until that point. Any suggestions on speeding upt his recovery. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jungledoc

Re: How Long will a 50% quad tear take to heal

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:08 pm

That's a confusing diagnosis. The "quad" is actually 4 muscles. I don't know how the 50% would have been determined. If he has full ROM pain-free, he's probably good to start rehabbing it.

MP9363
n00b
n00b

Post by MP9363 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:13 pm

They didn't specify which muscle in the quad was torn 50%, but it was just about 2 inches above the kneecap. He doesn't have full range of motion, but can bend the knee a little less than 90 degrees and can straighten it without any pain. As he approaches 90 degrees he can feel som tolerable pain. We have not tried to push it past that point. We are hoping to be able to start rehab, but we have another appointment late this week and don't know when they will start rehab. I know form this limited information it is hard to state opinions, but does this look like something that will take more than 30 days of rehab.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:49 pm

More than 30 days?

Oh, yeah. Don't be in a hurry. Think about a life, not about a season.

MP9363
n00b
n00b

Post by MP9363 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:35 pm

I have more information now, it is apperently the intermedius that is torn. I was told to expect 30 days in a knee immobilizer, then 30 days of physical therapy followed by 30 days to get back in condition. That seemed like a long time to me and everything I read says you should try to do limited movements without pain to avoid building up scar tissue, being completey immobilized for 30 days seems contrary to that. Nonetheless we waited 3 weeks and started Physical Therapy. Does this diagnosois and timeframe seem correct.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:10 am

So you think that the guys here, including me, have a better chance of answering that then the doctors who are actually treating you?

Stefan 93

Post by Stefan 93 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:12 am

He's definetly going to have scar tissue. Those 50% are going to be attached with scar tissue... I think that could have been avoided if he had gone to surgery.
It's probably better for him to be immobilised in the beginning, you don't want him tearing that again.
Timeframe couldn't be shorter, you should pray that it is long only 3 months...
P.S. I've learned something when I had some minor injury, don't think that this is all true.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:50 pm

Jungledoc wrote:So you think that the guys here, including me, have a better chance of answering that then the doctors who are actually treating you?
exactly
Stefan 93 wrote:He's definetly going to have scar tissue. Those 50% are going to be attached with scar tissue... I think
that could have been avoided if he had gone to surgery.
It's probably better for him to be immobilised in the beginning, you don't want him tearing that again.
Timeframe couldn't be shorter, you should pray that it is long only 3 months...
P.S. I've learned something when I had some minor injury, don't think that this is all true.
apparently we can try ....

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:apparently we can try ....
Should I light the Molotov cocktail for you now, sir?

:green:

Stefan 93

Post by Stefan 93 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:32 pm

I felt sorry for him, because his kid won't be able to run ever again, ever, and I wanted to make him happy.

Stefan 93

Post by Stefan 93 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:34 pm

That up there was joke.
Probably...
I guess...

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:17 am

Scar tissue is your friend in this case! What else is going to connect those torn muscle fibers? You're not going to grow new muscle to patch the tear. You're going to form scarring that will connect things together again.

Again, listen to the doctors who are treating you.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:54 am

Come on, this isn't an appropriate thread for humor.... Missing part of a season, especially senior year, can be a big blow for a kid, as well as parents who want their son to be happy, and get the most out of his high school experience.

The OP probably just wanted to see if anyone here had an injury like that before.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:34 am

Well, I tore my hamstring on the 30th of december, 2010. I'm still recovering. I some what foolishy told myself it was just a strain and never got it looked at (despite hearing a blatant pop). Turns out it was probably more serious. Still hurts to contract and/or stretch, unless I fill it full of blood first, but it's almost there. Slowly but surely getting there.

It depends on the tear, and how well you follow the docs advice, I would say. If he can be back to normal in 3 months, I'd say that's pretty good! He's young so you may be ok. I tore my adductor before and was good to go after 3 months. It still plays up a little in certain ranges of motion (ultra wide squats, for example), but it was quite straight forward.

I guess it depends but, you have a lot going in your favour (age, mostly).

KPj

leanmuscle13
Novice
Novice

Post by leanmuscle13 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:04 am

I have some experience in this area. I have a complete tear of the Rectus Femoris tendon in my right leg and a partial tear of the same tendon in my left. Neither have been surgically repaired. I can walk fine, I can run, I can squat. Now I have no way of knowing if I had them repaired if my legs would be stronger, but I do know that I'm still very active. There are two things that sometimes bother me; I have dents in the areas where the tear took place and I loathe hanging leg raises as the muscle bunches up towards my thigh sometimes causing pain. Other than that I'm fully functional. I wrote in a forum about this some years ago on this site. http://www.exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;