Training at Home + Soccer Workout

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

ephs

Training at Home + Soccer Workout

Post by ephs » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:27 pm

hey,

first: this page is really awesome. thanks to everyone who contributed to it.

i got 2 questions:

1) i've been training for a few years and i'm planning to invest in a home gym. but i dont know how to combine hamstrings training + erectus spinae training. i only see the possibility of leg curl on ball for hamstrings + single leg split squat for quadriceps with db. are there any other possibilities to train the hamstrings so that i can do db squats for quadriceps?

2) i'm planing to adjust my workout to my soccer training. i have soccer training every tuesday and thursday and a game on every sunday. on which days should i do strength training and which type (full body/split?)

thank you.

greetings,

bastian

jtw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Training at Home + Soccer Workout

Post by jtw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:54 pm

1 - Good Mornings, straight-leg deadlift work both the hamstrings and erector. "Leg curl on ball" and "db squats?" Seriously? Use a barbell, and *never* use a ball for strength training.

2. It's tough to balance strength training while in season for your sport. Most people focus on maintenance but if you are young and strong you may be able to manage. Generally a full-body routine would be best for someone in your position but it depends on your schedule and recovery times.

ephs

Post by ephs » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:02 pm

jtw wrote:1 - Good Mornings, straight-leg deadlift work both the hamstrings and erector. "Leg curl on ball" and "db squats?" Seriously? Use a barbell, and *never* use a ball for strength training.

2. It's tough to balance strength training while in season for your sport. Most people focus on maintenance but if you are young and strong you may be able to manage. Generally a full-body routine would be best for someone in your position but it depends on your schedule and recovery times.
haha, i never did this, i just saw this exercise on the page :). yes, these exercises work hamstrings + erector spinae, but the problem is: which quadriceps exercise can i do then? cause most also work erector spinae and that could be too much and cause lower back pain then.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:16 pm

ephs wrote:yes, these exercises work hamstrings + erector spinae, but the problem is: which quadriceps exercise can i do then? cause most also work erector spinae and that could be too much and cause lower back pain then.
well, i'm glad you told me that.
I should stop doing Deads, SLDL, and Back Squats, and Rows, in the same week.

(just eat and get rest days)

And DB are fine for Squatting, imo, especially for unilateral work.
Others with more knowledge shall chime in.

ephs

Post by ephs » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:55 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
ephs wrote:yes, these exercises work hamstrings + erector spinae, but the problem is: which quadriceps exercise can i do then? cause most also work erector spinae and that could be too much and cause lower back pain then.
well, i'm glad you told me that.
I should stop doing Deads, SLDL, and Back Squats, and Rows, in the same week.

(just eat and get rest days)
its good for you, if you can do this, but i made the experience that doing too much sets which work erectus spinae caused lower back pain. actually im only doing hyperextensions + leg press 3 times a week. And i'm searching for a possibility to do squats and a hamstring exercise which does not require a machine.

edit: i did some research in my workout data. and i think my lower back problems occured in a time when i was doing a split workout. so, do you think its not a problem to do squats and hyperextension or goodmornings or straight-leg deadlift 3 times a week with 48 hours rest between workout days?

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:08 am

lower back problems come from a whole bunch of things, most often it's because of tight hips, weak glutes and abs and poor exercise technique. Squats and deadlifts shouldn't hurt your back unless you have one of those things wrong with you.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:58 am

i made the experience that doing too much sets which work erectus spinae caused lower back pain.

Then don't do them so much that they cause lower back pain.
actually im only doing hyperextensions + leg press 3 times a week.
1) Hyperextions/back raises are basically the same thing as Good Mornings and Stiff Leg Deadlifts.

2) 3 Time a week is more than enough.

And i'm searching for a possibility to do squats and a hamstring exercise which does not require a machine.
Belt Squats is a great exercise that work the quads and hips as well. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... cd01.hydra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All you need is a:

1) Dip Belt http://www.liftinglarge.com/spudincdipbelt.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2) Loading Pin http://ironmind-store.com/15-Olympic-Pl ... fo/1314-C/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3) Boxes to stand on.

4) Weights

i think my lower back problems occured in a time when i was doing a split workout. so, do you think its not a problem to do squats and hyperextension or goodmornings or straight-leg deadlift 3 times a week with 48 hours rest between workout days?
The only way to know is try it and see how it works for you.

Kenny Croxdale

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Squats, deadlifts. Learn to do them correctly, start reasonably and progress gradually. You don't need machines.

ephs

Post by ephs » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:37 am

ok, thanks. my home training problem is answered. i'm going to look for some equipment soon.

does anybody have more information on my 2nd question about a soccer workout?

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:16 pm

ephs wrote:does anybody have more information on my 2nd question about a soccer workout?
probaby help to know things like what do you do on soccer training days and your recovery ability, and other things

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:41 pm

My understanding (not being a soccer player) is that there isn't a weight routine that is specific to soccer, any more than to most other sports. The key is to spend time getting stronger with a good full-body routine. You will probably want to do this in your off season, where you aren't playing hard. Then when you are in season, back the weights off to a maintenance program, and train hard for your sport.

ephs

Post by ephs » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:09 am

in the soccer training we are just running and training soccer most of the time. we are almost never doing stregth training there. i often heard that some players with a really muscular body like cristiano ronaldo are training in the gym after the soccer training for themselves. and i cant believe that these players are training much in the off season cause most of them are making holidays. but the question is, if i (as an amateur) should train 2-3 times a week on the days, on which i don't have soccertraining or maybe on the soccer training days, so that i have enough recovery between the training days. maybe this could work:

monday: gym
thursday: soccer training
wed: gym
thursday: recovery
friday: soccertraining
saturday: recovery
sunday: soccer game

do you think this could be okay or is 2 times full body workout per week not enough to gain muscles?

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:15 am

I think what you have is fine. It might not be optimal from a strength point of view but it protects your soccer game which should be your priority in season. I would make the Monday workout emphasis heavy on legs. It will make your Tuesday workout harder but that's OK, it's a workout, not a game. Make Wednesday more core and upper body.

ephs

Post by ephs » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:10 pm

stuward wrote:I think what you have is fine. It might not be optimal from a strength point of view but it protects your soccer game which should be your priority in season. I would make the Monday workout emphasis heavy on legs. It will make your Tuesday workout harder but that's OK, it's a workout, not a game. Make Wednesday more core and upper body.
do you mean only training legs on monday and then 4-6 sets + warm up? would this be enough for one week?

2 other options came to my mind:

1) strength training on soccer training days right after the soccer training or in the morning (soccer training is always at 6.30 pm)
2) leg exercises right after soccer training and rest of the body on monday + wednesday

what do you think about that?

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:40 pm

What I was thinking about was full body workouts on Monday and Wednesday, With Monday including heavy legs, and Wednesday being heavier on the other parts. There are a million ways to do it. Just try stuff and see how it works.