bench

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

bench

Post by matthewmccaw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:18 am

The problem is that I'v been stuck on my bench for some time now. I hit my chest twice a week 4x8 reps ascending weight. I was wondering wether switching one of these days to a 5x5 would be the feasible thing to do to progress in weight??

Thanks, Matthew.

Jungledoc

Re: bench

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:28 am

Try it, then you tell us! Seriously. Why would you have to ask someone before trying that? What you are doing is not working. Do something different.

There are a lot of things to try. You can do something different on one day than you do the other. A light day and a heavy day. 3x10. 10x3 (seriously, that might be just the ticket for you). Or 6 heavy singles. Or even 3 heavy singles. Or train chest once a week for a little while. Or skip chest completely for 2 weeks, then try it again.

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:32 am

Jungledoc wrote:Try it, then you tell us! Seriously. Why would you have to ask someone before trying that? What you are doing is not working. Do something different.

There are a lot of things to try. You can do something different on one day than you do the other. A light day and a heavy day. 3x10. 10x3 (seriously, that might be just the ticket for you). Or 6 heavy singles. Or even 3 heavy singles. Or train chest once a week for a little while. Or skip chest completely for 2 weeks, then try it again.
Was just wondering because my whole programme consists of 4x8 wether throwing in a 5x5 would be the right thing to do.
So it's OK to change it week by week or every now an then until I get the progress if I want?

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:59 am

matthewmccaw wrote:So it's OK to change it week by week or every now an then until I get the progress if I want?
Tinker until you find something that works. Once you find something that works stick with it until it doesn't work then tinker again.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:26 am

You can change it month by month, week by week, workout by workout or even within a workout if you want. One of my favorite rep schemes was 6,4,2,2,4,6. Week 3 of 5-3-1 also uses multiple rep ranges in the same workout.

Your body adapts to the stimulous that you give it. If all you ever give it are the same rep ranges, your body gets adapted to that range and then stops making progress. You have to give it a new stimulous in order for it to start making progress again, and means you have to do something you haven't done recently. Changing rep ranges is usually the easiest and also the most effective change you can make.

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:02 pm

You can change it month by month, week by week, workout by workout or even within a workout if you want. One of my favorite rep schemes was 6,4,2,2,4,6. Week 3 of 5-3-1 also uses multiple rep ranges in the same workout.
Yea but if you read some of the propaganda put out by Medhi he makes you think you will never achieve any gains unless you follow his program and when you are new it is difficult to separate what is real and what is hype.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:41 pm

When you're new, it's best to keep going on whatever program that works until it no longer works. That's the time to change but not before. When you do change, the rep range is the first place to look.

Remember the OP said "The problem is that I'v been stuck on my bench for some time now."

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:48 pm

The_dog_mom wrote:Yea but if you read some of the propaganda put out by Medhi he makes you think you will never achieve any gains unless you follow his program and when you are new it is difficult to separate what is real and what is hype.
Well we know Mehdi but aren't you being a bit unfair to him now? When did he ever say his program is the only one which works? He would have to be out of his mind to do that. And I don't remember him ever saying 5x5 is entirely his brainchild either, he even had Bill Starr as a guest writer on his blog.

Pretty much every program aimed at beginners come with the standard recommendation "don't mess with the program" to prevent newbies from making all kind of silly replacements or additions.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:00 pm

try to lift heavier for less volume, also.
going back to lighter weight will feel easier
break the mental block.

as another option.

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:try to lift heavier for less volume, also.
going back to lighter weight will feel easier
break the mental block.

as another option.
Thats what I intend to do with the 5x5 although I might drop to less reps than that.

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Well we know Mehdi but aren't you being a bit unfair to him now? When did he ever say his program is the only one which works? He would have to be out of his mind to do that. And I don't remember him ever saying 5x5 is entirely his brainchild either, he even had Bill Starr as a guest writer on his blog.
No I think I am being honest. I am the first one to defend his program (just ask those in my gym that want me to change) It is a subtle message given out by showing the many before and after shots and alluding to the fact all of those bodies came from using his program and nothing more. I am new so I could be wrong but that is my impression.

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Before/after pics don't do anything for me either, but for some they are motivational. It's a well known psychological mechanism: "If that guy/girl can do it, then I can do it too".
The_dog_mom wrote:if you read some of the propaganda put out by Medhi he makes you think you will never achieve any gains unless you follow his program
Propaganda? you make it sound like there's men in black trying to brainwash innocent people.

His style can be grating and hyperbolic at times, but I've yet to see anyone who designed a program who's not explicitly saying it works great. What else would you expect?

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Propaganda? you make it sound like there's men in black trying to brainwash innocent people.
Ok perhaps propaganda was the wrong word here because it is a good program and it works however having said that I will add my non hype version. I understand I am most likely not his target audience.

I can say first hand I have been as committed as anyone with my workouts and I really try. Do I see the gains he is talking about no. Do I know if I am normal, no...... why? because (at least in my opinion) he does not give a real picture of what the average person will experience. I am happy but also disappointed and I am left wondering how to figure out how to fix what is wrong or even if there is something wrong. I am WAY stronger than I was for sure! I am happy about that but was hoping for more!

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:22 pm

your older DM, so, gains are slower. Maybe being female too

and breaking my balls probably set up back a bit

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:43 pm

and breaking my balls probably set up back a bit
I am very good at certain things :pain10:
your older DM, so, gains are slower. Maybe being female too
I would like to think this is not so but I you are probably right. Still how can I tell if it is my head or I just can't do it.