bench

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

bam

Re: bench

Post by bam » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:46 am

matthewmccaw wrote:I broke my finger a couple of months back I havn't regained full function yet. I can usually do pull ups and deadlifts fine :)
Ah -- sorry I missed that in your post. With a 200kg DL you should be giving me advice!

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:28 am

Ah, ok. Well a 200kg DL would indicate that you have a decent foundation then!

When you fail on the bench, what happens? Where does the bar stop and does anything move around i.e. elbows flare up chest cave in?

Switching to a lower rep range at least some of the time to get you "straining" under heavier loads is also going to help. You may also have adapted to the higher rep ranges and simply just need a change - remember you adapt to rep ranges as well as exercises. Could be as simple as hitting up some double and triples for a while or at least over third week or so.

Also, what b/w are you? I'm 170-175 and things definitely got interesting at ~100KG. Bench basically shot up to that point and since then i've had to fight tooth and nail for every 5lbs after that. This doesn't seem to apply if you're heavier but for lighter guys it does seem to get interesting at this point. It's possible you've hit this point and your gains are just coming much slower.

KPj

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:56 am

KPj wrote:Ah, ok. Well a 200kg DL would indicate that you have a decent foundation then!

When you fail on the bench, what happens? Where does the bar stop and does anything move around i.e. elbows flare up chest cave in?

Switching to a lower rep range at least some of the time to get you "straining" under heavier loads is also going to help. You may also have adapted to the higher rep ranges and simply just need a change - remember you adapt to rep ranges as well as exercises. Could be as simple as hitting up some double and triples for a while or at least over third week or so.

Also, what b/w are you? I'm 170-175 and things definitely got interesting at ~100KG. Bench basically shot up to that point and since then i've had to fight tooth and nail for every 5lbs after that. This doesn't seem to apply if you're heavier but for lighter guys it does seem to get interesting at this point. It's possible you've hit this point and your gains are just coming much slower.

KPj
I don't know why my deadlift is that good it far out weighs any of the rest of my lifts!..being 6"2.5 probably helps. My bench is failing about four inches above my chest, I just run out of steam, I think my posture cripples too. I am currently stuck at 105kg for a 1rm! and I'm 210lbs. I can get 5 reps out of 90kg I think I'm going to try doubles an triples once a week and 5x5 the other day to start with.

Thanks, Matthew.

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:58 am

bam wrote:
matthewmccaw wrote:I broke my finger a couple of months back I havn't regained full function yet. I can usually do pull ups and deadlifts fine :)
Ah -- sorry I missed that in your post. With a 200kg DL you should be giving me advice!

Don't Know about that I'v only been training a few months...don't know why my deadlift is so much more than my other lifts!

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:20 am

matthewmccaw wrote:
bam wrote:

Don't Know about that I'v only been training a few months...don't know why my deadlift is so much more than my other lifts!
Are you long limbs and relatively short waist? A large arm span is disadvantageous to bench press but beneficial to deadlift. Lamar Gant was built that way.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:31 am

I'v definitely got very long limbs and a 34 inch waist. In my other post I mentioned that me being 6"2.5 helps my deadlift.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:40 am

I'm 6'2" but most of my length is in my waist. I'd love to pull 200Kg.

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:41 am

matthewmccaw wrote: I don't know why my deadlift is that good it far out weighs any of the rest of my lifts!..being 6"2.5 probably helps. My bench is failing about four inches above my chest, I just run out of steam, I think my posture cripples too. I am currently stuck at 105kg for a 1rm! and I'm 210lbs. I can get 5 reps out of 90kg I think I'm going to try doubles an triples once a week and 5x5 the other day to start with.

Thanks, Matthew.
Just make sure your form is good then. Too many beginners come in and pull weight off the floor with horrible technique and get too carried away. These are the guys that most likely disappear after 6 months or so with various bouts of pain. Otherwise, though - nice! Dead lift could be "your lift". Will be interesting to see where it starts to stall. Keep plugging away!

If you feel your posture changing then i'm going to assume your back is flattening as you strain. This is a tightness issue which can either be a technique problem or a strength problem or a little bit of both.

Learning to strain with heavy weights but with good form should help you out. A lot high rep fanatics get called out on technique when they add weight to the bar. It's just a case of cementing your form by getting used to straining under a heavy(heavier) load. Don't go beyond "technical failure". In my experience if you're accustomed to high reps then your 3RM isn't going to be all that different from your 8RM. However, give it a few weeks and as long as you've kept strict form then you'll cement your technique and get a little burst in progress as you adapt to the lower rep range.

In terms of tightness - Make sure you set up properly. Leaning on your traps, pressing them into the bench, keep those shoulders back and down, as tight as possible. Squeeze them so hard that it's uncomfortable. Squeeze the bar - you want your hands to feel like you've just done heavy shrugs or DL's after benching. I can't stress feeling uncomfortable enough lol.

Like, really uncomfortable. I helped a Thai boxer out with his bench the other week and when I had him set up properly with an empty bar, he was out of breath and said, "i dread to think what this will feel like with weight on the bar 'cause i'm f***** already!". Excuse the french but it's a direct quote. Anyway, extremely rare for this to happen but he put 45lbs on his old PR (his form was terrible before though - it's not anywhere near as impressive as it sounds!). The point is I had an extremely fit athlete struggling and out of breath just getting set up and benching with an empty bar. This is how "tight" you need to be.

Look up "so you think you can bench" by dave tate on elitefts this will tell you all you need to know on technique.

If it's a strength issue, the reason I emphasise STRICT DB rows is because we want to train the ability to pull your shoulder blades back (which is how they should be positioned on the bench). Doing Kroc rows or whatever are probably great for size and grip but the "cheating" just skips over the need to pull your shoulders back. So, make sure you're true to your DB rows - we want those shoulder blades strong as possible.

Could be so many things... I'm starting to over complicate but try and get tighter and see how it feels and check your DB row form, too. Definitely look up those videos though.

KPj

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:06 am

45lbs is impressive to add if you've been stuck what ever way you look at it! I'll have a read of that Dave Tate and try an get my blades back further, lower and tighter and try the low rep scheme for a while see how it goes and let you all know...Thanks for the advice,

Matthew.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:53 pm

matthewmccaw wrote:I don't know why my deadlift is that good it far out weighs any of the rest of my lifts!..being 6"2.5 probably helps.
The broken finger makes sense of what you were saying now.

I like you am 6' 2" but a little lighter than you at 200lbs or so. My best deadlift is 205kg, although i've not tested in a while, and my best bench is 100kgs. Short torso and long limbs.

carlito
Novice
Novice

Post by carlito » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:39 pm

With long limbs, do you also have trouble with squats? I also seem to have long limbs, thigh particularly. It looks mechanically impossible for me to squat to depth sometimes, not that I'm quite as tall as you two.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:08 pm

200k deadlift is awesome, good on you mate

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:05 pm

carlito wrote:With long limbs, do you also have trouble with squats? I also seem to have long limbs, thigh particularly. It looks mechanically impossible for me to squat to depth sometimes, not that I'm quite as tall as you two.
Yeah my squats are terrible not much weight, depth or form, my hamstrings are super tite too!

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:07 pm

Proper Knob wrote:
matthewmccaw wrote:I don't know why my deadlift is that good it far out weighs any of the rest of my lifts!..being 6"2.5 probably helps.
The broken finger makes sense of what you were saying now.

I like you am 6' 2" but a little lighter than you at 200lbs or so. My best deadlift is 205kg, although i've not tested in a while, and my best bench is 100kgs. Short torso and long limbs.
Your near identicle to me in those respects then!

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:12 pm

matthewmccaw wrote:Your near identicle to me in those respects then!
Out of curiosity, what's your squat and pullup numbers like?