Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Re: bench

Post by matthewmccaw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Proper Knob wrote:
matthewmccaw wrote:Your near identicle to me in those respects then!
Out of curiosity, what's your squat and pullup numbers like?
My squats are terrible anything over a 100kgs an my hamstrings start to go, have to say they are the least favourite part of my workout an I'v missed them loads of times. Pullups am not to sure havn't done them in a while, will hopefully have the grip for them now though.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:38 am

matthewmccaw wrote:
Proper Knob wrote:
matthewmccaw wrote:I don't know why my deadlift is that good it far out weighs any of the rest of my lifts!..being 6"2.5 probably helps.
The broken finger makes sense of what you were saying now.

I like you am 6' 2" but a little lighter than you at 200lbs or so. My best deadlift is 205kg, although i've not tested in a while, and my best bench is 100kgs. Short torso and long limbs.
Your near identicle to me in those respects then!
I dead 185 and bench something awful like 80k so I'm in the same boat, long limbs narrow chest (though a ton of tricep work is letting it nudge up better than 3 months back) - I'm about 208-212 lbs generally.

Think theres a fair few of us built this way - which is a shame, as Proper Knobs' avatar points out "WHAT YA BENCH?!" hehe

Aiming for 95k bench by Christmas, would be nice to get to your 200k deads.

Can I ask how long each of you have been training properly? as I'm slightly heavier and somewhat behind after 18 months (not a pissing contest but I do like to compare averages across the population and especially with those with a similar build).

p.s. if you care about my squats/PU's too, I hit 120k properly, I once would say I squat 130k but I don't think my depth was appropriate and my form was poor and I'm not in the game of repeated testing of true 1rm. My pullups are quite poor, underhand grip I can get a decent amount out (maybe 12, or 5 sets of 7 with 1min 30) but widegrip, maybe 4, 5th is a strain and form drops. I'd guess 4x4 with 1mins 30 rest intervals.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:20 am

matthewmccaw wrote:45lbs is impressive to add if you've been stuck what ever way you look at it!.

Yeh - would love to say it always happens but it's more a one off. It can go either way. Sometimes you fix some ones technique and they lift less for a while. I just nit picked the best bench session I've ever coached lol.

Put 45lbs on your bench in 10 minutes!!!

I actually put more on his deadlift but, as soon as he set up about 2 feet from the bar, I knew he was robbing himself of loads more weight/strength. People like that make it easy and make me look like a genius but it's all basic stuff, really...

Anyway let us know how it goes! Sounds like you have good natural potential to move a lot of weight!

One thing worth a thought is grip width when benching. You guys sound exactly like these 2 brothers that train in my gym. They're maybe taller, though. Really long arms. Their elbows fell way below the bench even with a decent set up but they were practically close grip benching, too. Bringing the grip out means less ROM, less shoulder rotation, and as long as you still tuck the elbows it's just as safe (in this example - safer).

A friend and (sometimes) training partner is about 6 ft with long arms and legs. Spotting him on bench is like an upright row compared to my main training partner who is the same height as me with shorter arms. Quite often when I hand off to both in one session, I'll practically rip the shorter guys shoulders out his socket when I hand off to him because i'm used to the taller one. The taller one actually has a rare issue in that he tucks the elbows TOO much. Bringing his grip out wider and tucking less looks much better and feels better for him

I'm not good enough to just look at someone and determine all these things though, I need to trial and error my way through it. So, if you change anything like this, don't make big changes i.e move grip out a couple of finger widths if you decide to try it. Start with a bar and work up with some weight. Stay with whatever "feels" best. If you feel the changes screwing with your head (often happens with me!) then just stick to what you've always done.

KPj

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:59 am

Robert

I trained on an off for four months then got a virus that ended up going into my heart and making it swell which hospitalised me (nasty!) The doctor stopped me training for four months so I'v been training for four months since that 4/5 times a week (generally), pretty much from when I first walked into the gym my deadlift was good....what I forgot to mention which probably makes a difference is there is no free bar in the gym I'm in at the moment so all my lifts are smith machine or dumbells. I'd be aiming to get sets of 5 at 100kg within the next month or two then try get it up to 8 reps then try move up weight again.

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:10 am

KPj wrote:
matthewmccaw wrote:45lbs is impressive to add if you've been stuck what ever way you look at it!.

Yeh - would love to say it always happens but it's more a one off. It can go either way. Sometimes you fix some ones technique and they lift less for a while. I just nit picked the best bench session I've ever coached lol.

Put 45lbs on your bench in 10 minutes!!!

I actually put more on his deadlift but, as soon as he set up about 2 feet from the bar, I knew he was robbing himself of loads more weight/strength. People like that make it easy and make me look like a genius but it's all basic stuff, really...

Anyway let us know how it goes! Sounds like you have good natural potential to move a lot of weight!

One thing worth a thought is grip width when benching. You guys sound exactly like these 2 brothers that train in my gym. They're maybe taller, though. Really long arms. Their elbows fell way below the bench even with a decent set up but they were practically close grip benching, too. Bringing the grip out means less ROM, less shoulder rotation, and as long as you still tuck the elbows it's just as safe (in this example - safer).

A friend and (sometimes) training partner is about 6 ft with long arms and legs. Spotting him on bench is like an upright row compared to my main training partner who is the same height as me with shorter arms. Quite often when I hand off to both in one session, I'll practically rip the shorter guys shoulders out his socket when I hand off to him because i'm used to the taller one. The taller one actually has a rare issue in that he tucks the elbows TOO much. Bringing his grip out wider and tucking less looks much better and feels better for him

I'm not good enough to just look at someone and determine all these things though, I need to trial and error my way through it. So, if you change anything like this, don't make big changes i.e move grip out a couple of finger widths if you decide to try it. Start with a bar and work up with some weight. Stay with whatever "feels" best. If you feel the changes screwing with your head (often happens with me!) then just stick to what you've always done.

KPj

Haha 45lbs in 10 mins is a good way to sell yourself anyway! Standing 2ft away from the bar would be like a big front shoulder raise. I know what you mean about the upright row, I nearly have the bar set on the top rung of the smith machine..probably not all that far off head height to some of the smaller people in the gym!

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:52 am

matthewmccaw wrote:Robert

I trained on an off for four months then got a virus that ended up going into my heart and making it swell which hospitalised me (nasty!) The doctor stopped me training for four months so I'v been training for four months since that 4/5 times a week (generally), pretty much from when I first walked into the gym my deadlift was good....what I forgot to mention which probably makes a difference is there is no free bar in the gym I'm in at the moment so all my lifts are smith machine or dumbells. I'd be aiming to get sets of 5 at 100kg within the next month or two then try get it up to 8 reps then try move up weight again.
Jeez so 4 months and 200k deadlift? thats very good, even my 185k is above average for 18 months, so 200k in 4 is crazy. I'd like to throw in the excuse that I've never been a manual worker but even then, you seem to have very good untrained strength.

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:48 pm

RobertB wrote:
matthewmccaw wrote:Robert

Jeez so 4 months and 200k deadlift? thats very good, even my 185k is above average for 18 months, so 200k in 4 is crazy. I'd like to throw in the excuse that I've never been a manual worker but even then, you seem to have very good untrained strength.
That 200 is a rep max by the way, my sets of 5 are at 180kg. I'm a construction worker lifting stuff for years thats probably helped me too.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:23 pm

matthewmccaw wrote:...there is no free bar in the gym...
This sentence doesn't make sense to me. If there is a place with no bar, is it a gym? I don't think so!

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:22 am

Jungledoc wrote:
This sentence doesn't make sense to me. If there is a place with no bar, is it a gym? I don't think so!
I just ment there is no barbells just smith machine, cable attachments and machines

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:51 am

RobertB wrote:Can I ask how long each of you have been training properly?
About 3 years now. I've had a couple of injuries on the way, a bad shoulder meant i couldn't press for a few months and a bad knee meant i couldn't do any leg work for a few months also. I relocated from Cornwall to Manchester just over a year ago so that was another 6 weeks of no training.

It took me just over 18 months to deadlift 200kgs, that was at the beginning of 2010, by the end of the year i'd got it up to 205kgs. I then decided to see how far i could take my sumo deadlift which i got to 200kgs. I'm back deadlifting conventionally again now so i keep telling myself there's a big new PR in me. We'll see, 220kgs was the end of year goal.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:13 am

matthewmccaw wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
I just ment there is no barbells just smith machine, cable attachments and machines
I understand entirely. My point is that you can't really call it a gym if there is no barbell.

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:00 am

You're rite it's not a very good setup, half the time you end up waiting for ages on equiptment too I just go because of the convenience of it being walking distance. I'm moving next month so will be glad to join a new place ...barbells included!