biceps

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

biceps

Post by matthewmccaw » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:52 am

I'v been stuck on a routine of different types of dumbell curls and ez cable attachment as my bicep exercises due to a lack of equiptment in my old gym. Today I moved to a new gym its equiptment looks like its from the 70's but everything seems to be there. So was just wondering in your opinions now that I have the equiptment and considering I use three exercises for my biceps on that day what you think the best three bicep building exercises are. Was thinking of maybe throwing in 21's but wondering how things like that would work with my new 5x5 routine for most of my other exercises.

Thanks, Matthew.

nygmen

Re: biceps

Post by nygmen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:16 am

Doesn't matter what you do really. BB, DB & cables is all you need really.

Just make sure you feel the muscle working and use a full ROM for *most* of your curls.

Cheat curls have their place, but you shouldn't be cheating on all movements.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:58 am

@matthewmccaw:

Just curious - what does your back routine look like?

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:57 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:@matthewmccaw:

Just curious - what does your back routine look like?
Usually its deadlifts, one arm dumbell rows and lat pull downs(different variations). Although am not deadlifting t the moment due to a lack of grip because of a broken finger.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Just do something different than you've been doing. Don't worry about which variation is better for "lat development" for the moment, just get stronger in that movement, then go back to our wide-grips later after you are a little stronger. Try different rep-set combinations, even doing singles, doubles or triples. Or take half of your max reps, and do 5 sets of that. Or ladders. Mix up what you do weighted and what you do BW. The different pull-up grips are different, but they're not ALL THAT different.

It was either Benjamin Franklin or Albert Einstein (or maybe Al was quoting Ben) who said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. If what you are doing is not working for you, for goodness' sake, do something different!!!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Oh, yeah, and try NOT going to failure for a while. Leave at least 1 in the tank on every set.

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:15 am

Jungledoc wrote:Just do something different than you've been doing. Don't worry about which variation is better for "lat development" for the moment, just get stronger in that movement, then go back to our wide-grips later after you are a little stronger. Try different rep-set combinations, even doing singles, doubles or triples. Or take half of your max reps, and do 5 sets of that. Or ladders. Mix up what you do weighted and what you do BW. The different pull-up grips are different, but they're not ALL THAT different.

It was either Benjamin Franklin or Albert Einstein (or maybe Al was quoting Ben) who said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. If what you are doing is not working for you, for goodness' sake, do something different!!!
My question was on bicep development, I'm quite happy with my back routine at the moment. I was just wondering what people thought were the most effective bicep building exercises.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:40 am

here you go matthew:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... _of_biceps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that ought to keep you going for a while

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:26 am

robertscott wrote:here you go matthew:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... _of_biceps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that ought to keep you going for a while
Cheers Robert theres 3 or 4 of those exercises I mite give a go.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:29 am

matthewmccaw wrote: My question was on bicep development, I'm quite happy with my back routine at the moment. I was just wondering what people thought were the most effective bicep building exercises.
A good back routine will provide the majority of biceps development in most people. That's because the compound exercises used in back training allow more weight to be used than the isolation exercises used in biceps training. Elaborate biceps routines only benefit advanced lifters or steroid users.

The biceps is a small bodypart that is easy to overtrain. More isn't necessarily better.

matthewmccaw
Novice
Novice

Post by matthewmccaw » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:41 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:
matthewmccaw wrote: My question was on bicep development, I'm quite happy with my back routine at the moment. I was just wondering what people thought were the most effective bicep building exercises.
A good back routine will provide the majority of biceps development in most people. That's because the compound exercises used in back training allow more weight to be used than the isolation exercises used in biceps training. Elaborate biceps routines only benefit advanced lifters or steroid users.

The biceps is a small bodypart that is easy to overtrain. More isn't necessarily better.
I know that a lot of back exercises involve biceps, I think I just enjoy quantity usually I only do 2 bicep exercises after my back but if I feel I havn't worked hard enough throw in a third. My question was just to see what people considered the best movements for hypertrophy.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:57 am

matthewmccaw wrote: I only do 2 bicep exercises after my back but if I feel I havn't worked hard enough throw in a third. My question was just to see what people considered the best movements for hypertrophy.
This is fine. 3-6 sets a week isn't going to kill you.

You don't have to get fancy with this stuff either. More important that what type of curl is actually using and feeling the muscle work. Using your hips to clean up the BB isn't going to give you big arms.

I can trash my Bi's with 35lb dumbells.

Technique is huge on this.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:00 am

Stephen Johnson wrote: A good back routine will provide the majority of biceps development in most people.
I wish I was one of those people. But alas, I had a 500lb pull and could TBar 6+ plates, and had 15" arms.

They blew up 2+ inches as soon as I tossed in a couple curls. And to avoid "overtraining" I actively try to NOT use my Bi's when I row. I row for my back not my arms.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:19 pm

matthewmccaw wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:Just do something different than you've been doing. Don't worry about which variation is better for "lat development" for the moment, just get stronger in that movement, then go back to our wide-grips later after you are a little stronger. Try different rep-set combinations, even doing singles, doubles or triples. Or take half of your max reps, and do 5 sets of that. Or ladders. Mix up what you do weighted and what you do BW. The different pull-up grips are different, but they're not ALL THAT different.

My question was on bicep development, I'm quite happy with my back routine at the moment. I was just wondering what people thought were the most effective bicep building exercises.
I realize now that I was thinking of another thread when I wrote that. Sorry.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:49 pm

nygmen wrote:
Stephen Johnson wrote: A good back routine will provide the majority of biceps development in most people.
I wish I was one of those people. But alas, I had a 500lb pull and could TBar 6+ plates, and had 15" arms..
"Most people" doesn't mean "all people." It is easier for the average trainer to gain an inch on his arms by adding 7-10# of solid bodyweight throughout his body rather than do endless sets of curls. . Many formerly scrawny old timers who used the 20-rep squat routine found that not just their legs grew.

Count your blessings. Most people can't pull 500# regardless of the size of their arms. :wink: