Workout for 77 woman

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Re: Workout for 77 woman

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:02 pm

stuward wrote: Holding it overhead is after that.
Is there ever a point to this for a 77 yr old ?

I guess, as practice for more shoulder stability, but is it functional as a movement from lying down
just asking

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:10 pm

Try it. It's part of the movement progression, and I don't think it could work very well without some weight, or some object to balance. I've heard of teaching it with a shoe balanced on the up-turned palm. Mark Cheng is famous for doing it with a full teacup on his hand.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Try it. It's part of the movement progression, and I don't think it could work very well without some weight, or some object to balance. I've heard of teaching it with a shoe balanced on the up-turned palm. Mark Cheng is famous for doing it with a full teacup on his hand.

Oh I have.
I was trying to make a distinction between the value for a 77 yr old when we're discussing functional. I'm not sure when you have to keep your arm locked overhead with a weight on it.

As I posted and removed because it get wordy and messed my inital point up, I avoid this part of the move because after several dislocations in past, I haven't gotten comfortable enough. I use a back pack over the shoulder instead. Of course I should continue to work on my shoulder stability so that one day this move can be done in its entirety.

I see the point for 77 yr old to do some over head work for sure, just not sure how it's functional while getting up off the ground, and potentially dangerous (comng from someone with loose shoulder socket)

Mcteague
n00b
n00b

Post by Mcteague » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:37 pm

I just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback. I had thought that machine resistance training would be good because the weight can be less than the bodies resistance. And I thought she would feel more secure sitting on a machine. I wasn't really planning on bringing her over to the squat rack anytime soon.
But I like the idea of working with natural body movements; standing up from a chair etc. There is a lot that can be done in that regard. I think the TGU will have to wait. I tried them and felt that I was 77. I will probably add them to my workout.

There were two reasons I was only warming her up for 5 minutes. First, there is the opinion of some that extended aerobic work prior to resistance work is bad because of lactic acid build up. That of course may be debatable. The second is that I really have to get everything done in 20 minutes or less. That is really the limit of her endurance and interest.
However as I said, I like the idea of working with natural body movements with little or no resistance. It might allow her to engage in exercise more often and have less risk of injury.
Anyway thanks again. I just wanted people to know I was listening

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:28 pm

I have to admire you and your mother for getting into this. My mother is 80 and she's just coming around to the idea that she might have to exercise. I have convinced her to do some incline walking and I've tried to get her to practice standing from sitting. I don't think she's fully bought into the idea. With walking she can see a direct benefit due to her COPD, but since she's still strong enough to do what she needs to, the strength training is still academic. I'm in a different city so I can only nag her once in a while.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:02 pm

Mcteague wrote:I just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback. I had thought that machine resistance training would be good because the weight can be less than the bodies resistance. And I thought she would feel more secure sitting on a machine. I wasn't really planning on bringing her over to the squat rack anytime soon.
But I like the idea of working with natural body movements; standing up from a chair etc. There is a lot that can be done in that regard. I think the TGU will have to wait. I tried them and felt that I was 77. I will probably add them to my workout.

There were two reasons I was only warming her up for 5 minutes. First, there is the opinion of some that extended aerobic work prior to resistance work is bad because of lactic acid build up. That of course may be debatable. The second is that I really have to get everything done in 20 minutes or less. That is really the limit of her endurance and interest.
However as I said, I like the idea of working with natural body movements with little or no resistance. It might allow her to engage in exercise more often and have less risk of injury.
Anyway thanks again. I just wanted people to know I was listening
Good lock with this. It's great that your mom sees value in this. I hope that you can keep it fun enough that she will stick with it.

wilburburns is a guy who sometimes posts here, who has into training his mother some time back. He hasn't posted lately, but I left him a message on Facebook about this thread, as I think he'd probably have something to add.