Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

24fps
Rookie
Rookie

Resumning workout after injury...

Post by 24fps » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:28 am

Hi all,

Ok so last Thursday I suffered a tendinitis of the rotators cuff in my left shoulder (which mean my good arm). I have no idea how it happened. I've been working out for the last two years now without any serious injury. I always stretch and ramp up routine. I've also added boxing class about a month ago. This is more of a boxing 101 type of class, we don't hit each other but our coach drives us pretty hard in the cardio part of the class which makes for awesome HIIT.

Anyway, last Thursday I came out of class feeling great, I hop on my bike, put my hands on the handle and BAM, that when it it me. Boy the pain sure was intolerable. I spent the next hours at the hospital, they took a scan but found nothing wrong with the bones so prognosis was the aforementioned tendinitis.

As of now I am on anti-inflammatory drugs and I am scheduled to see a physical therapist thus Thursday. My workout days are usually thuesday, thursday and saturday, needless to say I skipped my workout for last saturday. As it is now the pain is very faint when my arm is at rest and I can actually raise my arm sideways and in front of me (which I couldn't do 3 days ago).

I've been working hard for two years and I have achieved great results so far. Of course I don't want to lose it all but I also don't want to permanently damage anything but resuming too soon.

Now is it safe to assume that I can resume my leg days? Also I guess I could show up for boxing class but simply participate in the cardio part. In any case did any of you suffered a similar injury and if so when were you able to resume your routine?

Thanks,

Phil

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Resumning workout after injury...

Post by mark74 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:54 am

There are some lifts that put stress on the shoulder and the rotator cuff, the back squat is likely the most obvious one.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:31 am

It won't hurt you to lay of squats for a week or 2. Step ups or split squats are fine. I'm surprised you are getting to see a PT so soon. Usually if you catch it in time this sort of thing will resolve without it but the expert advise and care can't hurt. Rest and Cold/heat treatment will help it heal. Gentle strengthing of all rotator cuff muscles, pull ups, rows, overhead carries and of course TGUs should all be regular components of your program.

Out of curosity, were you doing shadow boxing? If so, with or without weights in your hand? The deceleration at the end of the throw could have been the culprit.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:12 pm

I didn't realize this type of injury would be delayed onset and so severe suddenly

All I'll say is be careful, shoulder problems suck, obv.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:25 pm

read these articles

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... ers_part_i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... rs_part_ii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... s_part_iii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the way you train will never be the same again.

24fps
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 24fps » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:19 pm

@Stuward

I don't do squats anyway, I do have one though but it is on a Smith so it is self assisted. Even then it appears in my routine twice and I have 6 routines that I rotate every 4-5 weeks.

Indeed shadowboxing is part of the boxing class, without weight. I am not sure if I follow you on this, how can decelaration be the culprit? If I do shadowboxing just now I don't feel any pain. The pain come from lateral and frontal movement, similar to the movement one does when doing front or lateral raises.

For heat/cold do you mean like: 10 minutes cold followed by 10 minutes hot?

What's TGU's?

@Robert

I quickly read the articles and I can honestly say the I am already following most guideline it proposes, I did learn a couple of things so thanks for sharing

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:12 pm

TGUs = Turkish Get Ups. The carrying of a heavy weight overhead while undergoing complicated movements does a tremendous job in strengthening all aspects of the shoulder.

I can't find a reference but shadow boxing with hand weights has been implicated in injuries in sholders, elbows and wrists due to the decelerative force in tendons. Usually if you push better than you pull, there is more stress in slowing down your punch than in throwing it in the first place. It's actually better and safer to hit something than to throw a punch and miss. It may or may not be what caused your issue but it probably contributed.

Here's one way to do heat and cold. http://www.ehow.com/way_5757193_heat-co ... nitis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm not a doctor.