5/3/1 Pause for GVT (8 weeks)

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

5/3/1 Pause for GVT (8 weeks)

Post by RobertB » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:37 am

A friend is a bit of a random attender at the gym and initially (a good 18 months+ ago) he was giving me pointers. I've overtaken him by a reasonable amount now (*SMUG BOMB* :wink: ) mainly because I never miss sessions.

He's getting some fat on now, and says he's getting a better mentality to get back in there three times a week.
He said he wanted to do my routine (I think mainly just to have someone to train with) but I said 5/3/1 wasn't really hypertrophy BB stuff (he's an honest guy and conceeds its mainly about vanity for him), at least my 5/3/1 isn't, and suggested that now he's a bit heavier with some spare "fuel" he should do 2-3 weeks pissing about with compounds, getting his groove back on the main lifts, then do GVT for 8 weeks properly.

Aaaanyway - the point. He's asking me to do it with him, any other program and I'd be like "no, bye, I have targets" but GVT is some good $h1t, and with a good calorie surplus it might make me even bigger (I always add these little disclaimers, but I mean even bigger than 5/3/1 - which is already half decent because of the 5x10 accessory especially boring but big for shoulders [great for delts]).

Im half way through my 4th cycle in 5/3/1 so I think I'm in a position to be able to pause it (as opposed to only being 6/8 weeks in, when I dont think I would pause it) since I'll finish the 4th cycle when he starts GVT (will have had a rest week too, as per usual 5/3/1).

As with most of my posts, I've made my checklist, I've pretty much decided it's an ok idea, but like you guys to give me permission to proceed :razz: - incase you have some decent objections or pointers to consider (i.e. adjust the program somehow).

I'll be using the same template as last time, only this time I'll be on 4k calories with size in mind, not 2500 aprox with fat loss in mind.

Cheers

stuward

Re: 5/3/1 Pause for GVT (8 weeks)

Post by stuward » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:47 am

Go for it. A change is always good.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:30 pm

you have my permission.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:39 pm

One condition: you must report in your progress log

...and if you feel up to it, since this is an aesthetics thing, a before/after picture. Disclaimer: if anybody asked me to do this I'd refuse. :smile:

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Please complete form 709 (Request to Revise Program) in triplicate, and submit it at least 2 weeks prior to the next general meeting of the Deific Wizards (date to be determined). They will act on your request either at that meeting, or if necessary after a second reading the the following meeting, and notify you of their decision.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:21 am

KenDowns wrote:One condition: you must report in your progress log

...and if you feel up to it, since this is an aesthetics thing, a before/after picture. Disclaimer: if anybody asked me to do this I'd refuse. :smile:
Hehe - its aesthetic for my friend since he isn't adjusting his calories (GVT will put him on enough of a defecit) but I'm eating to grow a reasonable amount, maybe 8lbs up to December, so it isn't aesthetic for me. Appreciate the hypertrophy from it though to be honest, especially the delt isolation work - might even assist my weight gain. Though my decent jeans are starting to get a bit tight! - Might just get some maternity pants cos I'll drop weight once I've hit my numbers.

Gladly share the results though. Or!! I've got a counter offer - Ass shots! :)

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:15 am

Not sure if better to put in random thread or bump this but since its pretty specific.....

Bastard leg day!!!! Doing it on Friday and I just cannot cycle all weekend, they still hurt today!

Any of you done GVT and figured out a way to lessen the leg day DOMs? I've never stretched or foam rolled/tennis ball etc so wondering if thats what I need to do?

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:06 am

it'll get a little better as you get into the program further, but it's always going to hurt

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:14 am

RobertB wrote:Any of you done GVT and figured out a way to lessen the leg day DOMs? I've never stretched or foam rolled/tennis ball etc so wondering if thats what I need to do?
Tennis ball rolling surely helped me with DOMS. Eating plenty of carbs in your PWO meal supposedly helps too. Baking soda too, but I have no idea if that's an old wives tales...