New to working out; my exercise routine

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

User avatar
mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by mark74 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:50 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:Beer Belly should be treated with Diet 97% and Exercise 1% and More Diet 2%
We have tons of posts on diet
Beer belly is no less a myth than spot reduction, so exercise definitely counts more than 1%. But diet definitely matters a lot so yeah, fix it.


User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by stuward » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:39 am

mark74 wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:Beer Belly should be treated with Diet 97% and Exercise 1% and More Diet 2%
We have tons of posts on diet
Beer belly is no less a myth than spot reduction, so exercise definitely counts more than 1%. But diet definitely matters a lot so yeah, fix it.
The fact that a beer belly is caused by beer is a myth, but fixing it with diet is not. Reducing fructose consumption and increasing egg yolks and liver should make a difference.

Here's that the Liver foundation says: http://www.liverfoundation.org/aboutthe ... nfo/nafld/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TREATMENT
There are no medical treatments yet for NAFLD. Eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly may help prevent liver damage from starting or reverse it in the early stages.

See a doctor who specializes in the liver regularly
Talk to your doctor about ways to improve your liver health
Lose weight, if you are overweight or obese
Lower your cholesterol and triglycerides
Control your diabetes
Avoid alcohol

nickp320
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by nickp320 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:46 am

Avoid alcohol
:cussing:

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by stuward » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:57 am

nickp320 wrote:
Avoid alcohol
:cussing:
That's actually part I disagree with. If alcohol's not part of the problem, a glass of wine now and then can actually help. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18454505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by mark74 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:36 pm

stuward wrote:
mark74 wrote:But diet definitely matters a lot so yeah, fix it.
The fact that a beer belly is caused by beer is a myth, but fixing it with diet is not. Reducing fructose consumption and increasing egg yolks and liver should make a difference.
stuward wrote:That's actually part I disagree with. If alcohol's not part of the problem, a glass of wine now and then can actually help. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18454505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sometimes simply I don't get you. :dontknow:


User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by stuward » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:40 pm

A lot of alcohol is bad. A little is good.

nickp320
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by nickp320 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:48 pm

stuward wrote:A lot of alcohol is bad. A little is good.

:cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

nickp320
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by nickp320 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:50 pm

Being a college student, I love my booze...... :green:

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:12 pm

nickp320 wrote:Being a college student, I love my booze...... :green:
So.... What does one have to do with the other?

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by stuward » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
nickp320 wrote:Being a college student, I love my booze...... :green:
So.... What does one have to do with the other?
It's called immaturity. Weren't you ever young?

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Oh, yeah. But there are lots of ways of expressing immaturity. I'm just annoyed by the "everyone is like me" idea. Not every college student drinks.

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by stuward » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:36 pm

No, but the ones that drink hang out with others that drink so it seems like everyone drinks.

nickp320
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by nickp320 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:51 am

Jungledoc wrote:Oh, yeah. But there are lots of ways of expressing immaturity. I'm just annoyed by the "everyone is like me" idea. Not every college student drinks.

Lol I was just making a generality, I know plenty of people that choose not to drink. Myself, I could be considered an alcoholic.

Also, the people that do choose not to drink, although I respect them, reveive the nickname of "sober ____," i.e. sober eric, sober jack, sober katelyn are 3 of my best friends hahaa



off topic yay

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by stuward » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:54 am

nickp320 wrote:... I could be considered an alcoholic....
You know that this needs to be addressed before you will make any meaningful progress in your other issues. On the other hand, once you get over this hurdle, the rest should be easy.

nickp320
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: New to working out; my exercise routine

Post by nickp320 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:00 am

stuward wrote:
nickp320 wrote:... I could be considered an alcoholic....
You know that this needs to be addressed before you will make any meaningful progress in your other issues. On the other hand, once you get over this hurdle, the rest should be easy.
Yeah I overexaggerate, I really maintain my drinking activities to friday and saturday. That being said I know it's best I slow down, and for the most part I really have. But then there are those nights....


Post Reply