New and have a question

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Jupiter
n00b
n00b

Re: New and have a question

Post by Jupiter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:31 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:Lets see if I can continue to add information for you.
Jupiter wrote: I wouldn't wear it at the gym, I'd get laughed out of the place,.
You'll get laughed out of here for caring what they think of you at the gym.

Probably just me not understanding women again.
:lol: Fair enough!

nickp320
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nickp320 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:55 pm

Jupiter wrote: I wouldn't wear it at the gym, I'd get laughed out of the place,.

In all seriousness though, try not to think that way. People's concerns are always with themselves, albeit for various reasons. For example, I look at myself in the mirror at the gym to make sure my form is correct. Guy next to me is checking himself out profusely. Neither of us care about the other. 'Nuff said.

Good luck with everything!!!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:24 pm

It seems strange now that I didn't think of suggesting a belt right off the bat! The one that Ironman posted looks like it would be comfortable, is continuously adjustable, and it looks like it could even be worn under a tee shirt, if you felt self-conscious about it. I think it's a great idea.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:51 am

mark74 wrote:
Ironman wrote:I have one of those, and it works very well for heavy squats.
What's the difference between this and a belt?
It's made of neoprene, so it keeps the muscle warm, in fact you'll sweat more under the belt. That helps with any movement involving those muscles. It does provide support, but it is less restrictive than a belt. It's kind of like knee and wrist wraps for your waist. A little compression tends to help generate force. Kind of like the bench press shirts power lifters wear.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:56 am

Yea, it can go on under your cloths, but you WILL want to take it off when you are not using it. It gets hot and sweaty after a while. It should still be doable if you maybe put it on in the bathroom beforehand. Then taking it off should be no problem, it should be easier than the "bra trick". I have yet to meet a woman that can't do that.

Jupiter
n00b
n00b

Post by Jupiter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:16 am

Bought and waiting for delivery. Can't wait to give it a go. In fact I'm getting quite excited about trying out a proper squat and deadlift. I plan to start off at home - my weights go up to 60kg - then move to gym when the weight I lift corresponds with the use of a belt.

Watch out for lots of questions about technique!! (Kidding, I've lurked long enough to read ALL the posts about them - theory is not a problem!)

jlmoss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jlmoss » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:18 pm

Yeah, theory sort of flies out the window sometimes when actually getting into it and doing it. Mostly because lack of kinesthetic (sp?) sense, or because of excitedness to just actually do it. I would still suggest video'ing yourself and at least review it for your eyes only if you don't want to post it or show it to others and compare to other videos of properly done exercises just to make sure... especially with your condition.

Jupiter
n00b
n00b

Post by Jupiter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:15 am

Well, that went badly :frown:

I didn't go for the one Ironman recommended in his link, because I'm in the UK, but found a similar one on Amazon. It arrived today. I tried it... too big. Although the size is 27"-33" waist, and I have a 28.5" waist, there was at least 5" spare. Gutted.

Can anyone recommend a good belt/company, UK based, ideally?

Cheers.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:56 am

this website is UK based and seems to cater for high-end fitness stuff

http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i would imagine most of the belts on there are much the same really. They're pretty expensive but considering it's a lifelong investment in your health it's probably a good idea to buy something top of the range.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:58 am

oh yeah I should probably point out that I've never used a belt so my recommendations probably don't hold much water

Jupiter
n00b
n00b

Post by Jupiter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:36 pm

Cheers Robertscott. I checked them out, but it's only the leather ones that seem to go down small enough. I'll keep them in mind. Would leather belts be as comfortable? (I doubt it, they all look like rough leather of 1970s Clarks shoes!)

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:54 pm

Was the neoprene one from Amazon the smallest they offer? If so, maybe just cut some material out of the back and sew it together.