Whey Protein Concentrate vs isolate

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

teafan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Whey Protein Concentrate vs isolate

Post by teafan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 am

Whats everyones view on this subject? Do you think there is a massive difference in quality and results from using Isolate vs Concentrate?

I've been using Concentrate and am satisfied with my results but wondered if I could get more bang for my buck... or if i'm just chasing rainbows?

nygmen

Re: Whey Protein Concentrate vs isolate

Post by nygmen » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:44 am

teafan wrote:Whats everyones view on this subject? Do you think there is a massive difference in quality and results from using Isolate vs Concentrate?

I've been using Concentrate and am satisfied with my results but wondered if I could get more bang for my buck... or if i'm just chasing rainbows?
Majoring in the minors.

Solid food protein > Any Whey protein

Whey Protein > water

Live long and prosper.

:headbang:

teafan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by teafan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:48 am

How logical!

I had a chat with the guy at the gym I attend and he went through his protein sales pitch: all he could say is how bad Concentrate was compared to Isolate but couldnt explain why. I kind of decided there and then that the answer was "negligible" but thought I'd run it past the council first.

Many thanks

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:59 am

ya there's no need to worry about stuff like that

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:54 am

@teafan:

Whey protein isolate contains more protein per measure than whey protein concentrate - 90-95% for the isolate vs 60-80% for the concentrate. The concentrate is easier to make, so it costs less than the isolate.

If you're lactose intolerant you should choose the isolate over the concentrate, since the concentrate has appreciable amounts of lactose while the isolate has none.

If you're on a budget, you should choose the concentrate - you can get more protein at a lower cost, if you don't mind the accompanying fat and lactose.