WORK AND WORKING OUT

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

digger
Rookie
Rookie

WORK AND WORKING OUT

Post by digger » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:39 pm

My recovery times seem to be dependent upon how much and what type of work I am doing during the day.

As an example, if I am trenching and picking all day then my workouts suffer. Up until recently I have been able to manage but the weight is getting heavier at 10 weeks into SL 5x5 and I am finally working five days a week again :headbang: .

My question is, has anyone had this experience and if so did lifting in the mornings before work help? Or could I give my self another day for recovery? Something like Mon, Thurs and Sun?

Thanks

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Re: WORK AND WORKING OUT

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:41 pm

May I suggest

mon, wed, sat, mon, thu, sat, tue, thu, sun, tue, fri, sun, wed, fri, … repeat.

In 5 weeks 14 workouts, instead of 15
You get a 2 day break every other workout.

You can use one of the extra off days to do some core work or prehab stuff

I use it often. Seems like a decent tradeoff of volume and recovery vs the standard MWF.
As long as you are flexible to workout on different days.

digger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by digger » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Think I'll give some thing like that a try Oscar. I have to admit that I am feeling worn down, but that with a little more recovery time that I can continue to make steady gains. What is prehab stuff?

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:04 pm

Prehab would be wall slides, or body weight hip thrusts, or...gosh, I'm not the best to ask, lol.
But generally, its stuff you do to prevent injuries, as opposed to re-hab, which is post injury.
Think mobility work. Foam rolling is another think to do on these days (I think)

Maybe one of our trainers will chime in here for us.
You could probably google some or search here too.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:53 am

I find I can tweak that - I work in an office sat on my ass all the time but if I've been out raving or cycling I just add some, quite frankly, $h1t carbs to my diet - I'll add good ones too, but I'll happily eat an extra bowl of cereal (even basic somewhat sugary stuff) to have some more fuel to burn - essentially feed the extra activity.

But it won't last forever (if it did, we would just eat double and work double :) which doesn't work), if your workout and workload is draining you, eventually you will have to reprogram somewhat, just do it bit by bit (shave a little off volume or weight on the big 4), and if it overwhelms you, just have a light week (60% RM, more food, try get the sleep in) and be a little more careful next time.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:19 am

What days are you lifting now?

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:31 am

If you find yourself struggling on the last sets, you could cut the volume down to 3x5 (like Starting Strength).

digger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by digger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:19 am

Jungledoc wrote:What days are you lifting now?

Usually Mon, wed and Friday.

digger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by digger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:21 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:Prehab would be wall slides, or body weight hip thrusts, or...gosh, I'm not the best to ask, lol.
But generally, its stuff you do to prevent injuries, as opposed to re-hab, which is post injury.
Think mobility work. Foam rolling is another think to do on these days (I think)

Maybe one of our trainers will chime in here for us.
You could probably google some or search here too.

For some reason I didnt think any of this applied to me, guess I'll have to start.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:01 pm

it may not.
I have a desk job and probably should do much more mobility work, at my age.

I was just also giving thoughts so you can do something during the off days.
How's your core strength?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:10 pm

digger wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:What days are you lifting now?

Usually Mon, wed and Friday.
Basically, any combination of days that allows a day off after every lifting day will work equally well. If you have to do 2 subsequent days, you'll have to plan a split that tries to isolate body regions, like upper only on one day, and lower only on the other. Not ideal, but not terrible either.

digger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by digger » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:03 am

mark74 wrote:If you find yourself struggling on the last sets, you could cut the volume down to 3x5 (like Starting Strength).
According to the SL 5x5 program there is a series of failures and deloads, that are to be reached before moving to 3x5.

I realize that it is a perfect trainee, that the the program refers to. I am not this trainee. I am forty three, fifty pounds over weight. I used to smoke three packs a day, quit three years ago.

It is hard for me to tell if, if I should switch now or stick it out. I have no prior experience with lifting, and don't want to "puss out"

Today will be a lift day with a lot of rest, no work and skipped wed workout. I am guessing that this will be telling?

digger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by digger » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:06 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:it may not.
I have a desk job and probably should do much more mobility work, at my age.

I was just also giving thoughts so you can do something during the off days.
How's your core strength?

What ever core strength, I have has come from Ten weeks of SL 5x5. I do nothing else.

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:04 am

digger wrote:According to the SL 5x5 program there is a series of failures and deloads, that are to be reached before moving to 3x5.
(...)
It is hard for me to tell if, if I should switch now or stick it out. I have no prior experience with lifting, and don't want to "puss out"
I don't think anyone in its right mind would dream to call you a puss if you switched to SS from SL :wink:

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:11 pm

digger wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote: What ever core strength, I have has come from Ten weeks of SL 5x5. I do nothing else.
I suppose trenching and picking helps too.
If that's what I think it is.
Much more than say, typing all day.