The 1 hour "rule"

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Jungledoc

Re: The 1 hour "rule"

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:19 am

A lot of the "overtraining" controversy has to do with definitions. One man's overtraining is another man's working hard. Any one can overextend a bit once in a while, and need an extra rest day, or needs to tweak the routine a little. Is that "overtraining"? I've heard definitions of overtraining that sound a lot like major depression. So if a person develops major depression, and he or she happens to train hard, is he or she overtraining? Maybe, but maybe they are just a exercise nut who has developed major depression. Non-exercisers do it all the time.

It's hard to say that it's a myth, when we probably aren't all talking about the same thing. We don't agree about what "it" is.

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:07 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:People can disagree, but they can do so without introducing vulgarity to the thread. And the board members did, until you posted your comment.
Sorry Stephen, I wasn't meaning to piss off people. Guess I've been reading too much Chaos'n'Pain lately :lol: FTR I wasn't really disagreeing with anyone, more like thinking aloud.

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:22 am

robertscott wrote:
CorlessJohnJ wrote: I think training "too hard" is actually very hard to do. Overtraining or what I have read of it happens rarely. I know you can train till you can't move or hurt but thats DOMS. If you can overtrain congratulations I haven't been able to do it yet! haha
i missed this post earlier.

OVERTRAINING IS A MYTH

ok so maybe it's not a myth, but let's be serious here for a second. Olympic athletes overtrain, and it happens so incredibly rarely that they don't even think about it.

I hear guys in my gym that train 3 times a week on a chest/biceps/chest split who won't add extra sessions because they're worried they're overtraining. It just isn't going to happen to you.

I totally agree with John here, if you've managed to overtrain, then good for you! Your work ethic is clearly better than 99.99999% of the rest of the world. Scale it back a tiny bit and I look forward to seeing you in London 2012
There is obviously a chance that you can overtrain but it's really not something to worry about all you have to do is listen to your body. I can't tell you if your chest is sore. I can't tell you if you are fatigued. If your tired take a nap change your diet or drink coffee?

All I know is I TRIED to overtrain and couldn't do it. Maybe I didn't try hard enough but like I said congrats to the few that have supposedly done it!