Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

nickp320
Rookie
Rookie

A week without a gym! =0

Post by nickp320 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:32 am

Hey all,
As you may have seen in other posts of mine, I'm currently at a summer internship by my college campus. Problem is today's the last day, tomorrow I'm going back down to my hometown for about a week, and I do not have any sort of gym membership or anything down there. That includes I do not have any free weights at home, unfortunately :sad:

So I was wondering what you guys think, if you guys think I should be doing some light "weight training" or core stuff or basically anything to get me off my but for 30 mins - 1 hour a day. Some of my preliminary plans are:

- Run every other day (this isn't preliminary, I'm sticking to it no matter what)
- Practice TGU's with extremely light weight, probably just hold up a book or 2. This is mainly to get the form and movements down, because I've never done a TGU before in my life lol

Let me know what you guys think, all comments are appreciated, thanks!

-Nick P.

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: A week without a gym! =0

Post by mark74 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:37 am

The consensus is that a week off doesn't make any difference, but keep eating the same way as if you're training.

nickp320
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nickp320 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:19 am

Yeah that makes sense. I'm not so much as concerned about training and such, more along the lines of just generally excercising. Anaerobic, aerobic, whatever it doesn't matter, I just reeaallllyy want to avoid sitting on my @$$ from morning to night. Tips? Just walking maybe? Thanks

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:36 am

If you don't have any weights, you can give the PBF a try. Basically a ladder of increasingly difficult BW variations of the big lifts. Link here: http://www.exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:15 am

watch tv, go out dancing, eat some pizza. Just enjoy your week off then come back to the gym with renewed vigour

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:22 am

robertscott wrote:watch tv, go out dancing, eat some pizza. Just enjoy your week off then come back to the gym with renewed vigour
I agree. Assuming that you've been working out hard for a while, taking a week off won't make your muscles shrink. You might get some DOMS if you resume training at the same intensity that you left off, but that will clear up quickly

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:15 pm

you're screwed.

nickp320
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nickp320 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:49 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:you're screwed.
I KNOW. :cry:

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Take the week to plan and try out new things. Do some walking, experiment with body weight movements, but most of all, think through what you need to do to get your health under control.

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Yoga or some variations like that. Even for guys above average in strength with large muscles....that is still incredibly tough it isn't going to give you the workout free weights at the gym will but dead ass look up yoga. It's serious.

jlmoss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jlmoss » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Most gyms I've been in give free or reduced charge prices if you go and just talk to them and let them know your situation.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:21 am

When I'm in the US, I travel a lot. I usually can find a gym with a reasonable day pass rate, often as little as $5. If I'm desperate, I'll occasionally pay $15, but that's my limit. Twice when I was in the same place for a few days and I had paid for a day pass once or twice I was given a free day. Community recreation centers are often reasonable, and usually have good facilities. When all else fails, there's always Golds.

Or go to a park and find a rock or two. Stone clean and press is fun, and will guarantee some strange stares. Or, you can throw the stone as far as you can, run pick it up, and repeat, around a circuit or to a landmark and back. Squat with a stone clutched to your chest. A stone deadlift would be something like a Sumo DL. Overhead press, floor press (maybe "lawn press"?), curls, raises, TGUs all can be done with stones. Just pick a rock, try your lift. If the weight is way off, look for a bigger one. If it's close, just adjust reps as needed.

Or go to a playground and do chins and inverted rows on the play equipment. If you bring some children with you, the parents of the kids there won't be as worried that you are a child molester. And you can use children as weight. It's best to do this with the permission of the parents (if it's not your own kid) and with the kid's consent. Unwilling kids that are thrashing around can really throw you off your form on a TGU!

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:24 am

..... :laughing4:

Maybe go with the non-doc suggestions Nick ;)

But yea, Pushups pullups bike ride (*shrug* likely not got a bike so walk/jog whatever) planks

If I'm bored and get the itch I just do 3x20 pushups and 3x15ish dips (off a chair) but nothing else...I'd rather cycle than a-team together all this tin of paint/bottles of water backpack $h1t - I do like the idea of scaring off parents and overhead pressing their kids tho.