Substitutes for bench and shoulder press

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Substitutes for bench and shoulder press

Post by anzafrank » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:29 am

My left shoulder hurts a bit when doing bp's and sp's, and was wondering what other exercises could be used instead. I use a bowflex type rig. Thanks.

stuward

Re: Substitutes for bench and shoulder press

Post by stuward » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:50 am

Franks, it's good to see you're stil out there. A lot of shoulder issues can be corretced by doing more rowing. Do lots of volume of both vertical and horizontal rows.

Do you have any more specific description of your issue?

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:15 am

stuward wrote:Franks, it's good to see you're stil out there. A lot of shoulder issues can be corretced by doing more rowing. Do lots of volume of both vertical and horizontal rows.

^^This

and...

If I have a client with shoulder pain, I can still usually get away with doing pushups, as a horizontal push, as it's a closed chain exercise.

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:14 am

stuward wrote:Franks, it's good to see you're stil out there. A lot of shoulder issues can be corretced by doing more rowing. Do lots of volume of both vertical and horizontal rows.

Hey Stu,

Yea, I've been working out most all of the time, all this time, but my left shoulder has some pain when I first start a bp, so I start off with a little less than half the weight I use for the bp and do 15 reps, then down to 10 reps with 70%, then 100% for the next two sets. The pain sort of goes away after about the second set on the bp, but yesterday the pain didn't go away when doing the sp.

I don't think I have pain when doing lat. or front raises. Btw, most everything you have told me in the past I've tried to put into place, except full body 3 times per week. Now I'm doing lets say upper today, then skip a day, then lower, skip a day and back to upper and so on. I don't get two days off in a row, but get 3 days off in between doing upper, like bp, and lower and still hit all twice per week.

Also, you once told me that when I.m on the recumbent bike to bump it up to the next level for a short time. At that time I did go to # 3 for 15 sec. and thought I would die. Ha! Now I do about 12 min. on 3, and go to 4 at times! The only problem is I can't seem to contro mt eating. Fat as a hog! Also, as far as rowing, I have only been doing 3 sets lower cable rows. I will start doing straight back, and high pulley rows. Had no idea that would help! Thanks!

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:19 am

Jason Nunn wrote:

^^This

and...

If I have a client with shoulder pain, I can still usually get away with doing pushups, as a horizontal push, as it's a closed chain exercise.
Jason, I just tried a push up and lots of pain! More than bp's or sp's. Thanks!

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:33 am

2 rows I think are useful are these:
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Latissi ... rrups.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Deltoid ... rrups.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can probably do something like those on the Bowflex. The particular movements are particularily healthy for your shoulders.

Also, I second what Jason said about push ups. They will really improve your shoulder stability. If you're having pain with them right now, you probably have to heal your shoulder first. Focus on the rows for now.

Well done with the bike. That little sprint is what actually builds heart and lung capacity. Just keep pushing into the edge of the uncomfortable zone and you will continue to make progress.

Controlling your eating is a challenge but it's easier if you strive to make each meal as nutritious as possible. The healthiest foods are almost always animal products or vegetables. If it's got flour, sugar or vegetable oil in it, there's probably a healthier choice.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Frank, heavens knows I've busted up my shoulders more times than I can remember over the years. Let's go with prehab, warm up ideas before getting into substitutes.
Over the years, I've become a big fan of Istvan Javorek's complexes, and like to use 2 not only for prehab/rehab, but a time or 2 through the circuit for warmups. Here is the one I use as a warm up for any type of pressing
http://www.youtube.com/user/ijavorek?bl ... tTB73h-K1A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now for substitutions. Here is what I did (do). I used DB's, but in your case, with a bowflex, you should still be able to try this. Try using a palms facing grip using light weights to start with. This seemed to feel much more natural for me and didn't cause any pain. Both with overhead and bench, but I did trying varying the angle of the bench, and a 45 degree angle seemed to work best for me.
Tim

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:47 pm

TimD wrote:Frank, heavens knows I've busted up my shoulders more times than I can remember over the years. Let's go with prehab, warm up ideas before getting into substitutes.
Over the years, I've become a big fan of Istvan Javorek's complexes, and like to use 2 not only for prehab/rehab, but a time or 2 through the circuit for warmups. Here is the one I use as a warm up for any type of pressing
http://www.youtube.com/user/ijavorek?bl ... tTB73h-K1A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now for substitutions. Here is what I did (do). I used DB's, but in your case, with a bowflex, you should still be able to try this. Try using a palms facing grip using light weights to start with. This seemed to feel much more natural for me and didn't cause any pain. Both with overhead and bench, but I did trying varying the angle of the bench, and a 45 degree angle seemed to work best for me.
Tim
Hi Tim, I'm guessing that I'm the only tard that doesn't know what a " palms facing grip " is. Does that mean the palms are facing my shoulders while doing bp's and sp's, or did I miss the whole thing? Also, my computer needs to be thrown out the window as it takes a day to down load one part utube, and I have no sound. If it's not too complicated, could you discribe some, or a few parts of ijavorek vid? Thanks.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:08 pm

palms facing is when your thumbs are pointing at each other. Like you were holding two cups of coffee

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:16 pm

Palms facing means facing each other.

I think this is the program in the video, or at least it was similar. He mostly was looking for 10 easy reps per exercise..
Javorek's Dumbbell Shoulder Recondition Complex # 7 Exercise

Dumbbell Hands Bent To Chest Inward-Outward Circle x 6+6
Dumbbell In Front Of Chest Inward-Outward Rotation x 6+6
Dumbbell From Hip High Pull Snatch x 6
Dumbbell Lateral Pronated Arm Raise x 6
Dumbbell Bent Over Fly x 6
Dumbbell Bent Over "Kick Back" Triceps Curls x 6
Dumbbell Breast Stroke Imitation x 6
Dumbbell Bent Over Parallel Straight Arm Forward-Backward Raise x 8
Dumbbell Frontal Pronated Arm Raise x 6
Dumbbell Javorek's Shoulder Routine x 6+6

Perform in a non-stop, continuous order as listed above. If low ceiling, certain exercises perform seated.
Six exercises x 6 reps = 36 reps/set. + 3 exercises x 12 reps (6+6)= 36 reps/set. Total 72 reps/set
I got that from here: http://www.istvanjavorek.com/page2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks guys, I sure hope these things work because now that I think about it, this problem has been with me for a while now, and at 63 it makes me think age has caught up with me. I sure hope not, as I can't imagine getting older and not being able to work out. Thats what keeps you young!