Twitching muscles

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Post Reply
CorlessJohnJ
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Twitching muscles

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:40 pm

How do I stop random twitching muscles? My left front deltoid has been twitching to the point people thought I was flexing. I am slightly amused however it's not something I prefer to do uncontrollably. Anyone know any tricks? Or mabe something I can eat to prevent this?


Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Twitching muscles

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:48 pm

http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/mssymptoms.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good luck?

User avatar
digger
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Twitching muscles

Post by digger » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:49 pm

CorlessJohnJ wrote:How do I stop random twitching muscles? My left front deltoid has been twitching to the point people thought I was flexing. I am slightly amused however it's not something I prefer to do uncontrollably. Anyone know any tricks? Or mabe something I can eat to prevent this?


Drink Water? I twitch like crazy when dehydrated.


Muscle twitches may be caused by common events or lifestyle habits including:
Dehydration (loss of body fluids and electrolytes, which can be life threatening when severe and untreated)
Exercise
Vitamin deficiencies

http://www.bettermedicine.com/article/m ... tch/causes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: Twitching muscles

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:56 pm

John--a few other possibilities come to mind.

Caffeine excess
Sleep deficiency
Muscle fatigue (!!!)
Mineral deficiencies (if you take a multivit/mineral supp, this is unlikely)

I'll think about it.

Oscar, muscle twitches are not likely to be the presenting symptom of MS. If this were the cause, John would know, and would have stopped lifting long ago.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Twitching muscles

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:17 am

Jungledoc wrote:Oscar, muscle twitches are not likely to be the presenting symptom of MS. If this were the cause, John would know, and would have stopped lifting long ago.
I thought MS sorta came and went.
Does the twitching only come in later stages?

anyhow, I sorta was being flipped, sorry.
I had MS on my mind do to some numbness I had felt. It didn't line up though.


User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: Twitching muscles

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:32 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:Does the twitching only come in later stages?
Well, I should have said something like, "Muscle twitches without other symptoms are not likely to be the presenting symptom." It's far, far more likely that John has something far less frightening and life-altering than MS.

CorlessJohnJ
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Twitching muscles

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:51 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:Does the twitching only come in later stages?
Well, I should have said something like, "Muscle twitches without other symptoms are not likely to be the presenting symptom." It's far, far more likely that John has something far less frightening and life-altering than MS.
Doc I believe it to be lack of sleep have been getting around five hours of sleep sometimes a little less while working at the minimum ten hour days at work... the muscle was just being a little bitch...lol I make my body do what I want. Not the other way around.

It was a recently worked muscle as well being my anterior deltoid firing non stop for about two hours....and my left shoulder usually causes me pain while working them so I take it as it is what it is. Move on sleep more drink more water and take some vitamins or something. Thanks doc. And btw oscar you got me worried you prick haha funny though.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Twitching muscles

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:55 pm

cheers.

User avatar
GTO
Novice
Novice
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:31 am
Location: Riner, Va.

Re: Twitching muscles

Post by GTO » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:10 am

CorlessJohnJ - Your not alone, I get the same thing in the same place once in a while.

Digger and Doc, thanks for the info, thats very helpful.

Oscar- you scare me.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 3482
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am

Re: Twitching muscles

Post by KPj » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:50 am

My left bicep was twitching for about 2 weeks. I think it was just reminding me to get it "swole". Obviously the right one isn't bothered.

Anyway, not actually joking. I've noticed my muscles twitch a lot more recently. Plus, recently i have been getting less sleep, drinking too much caffeine, and not drinking enough water. Probably not a coincidence...

KPj

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: Twitching muscles

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:20 pm

CorlessJohnJ wrote:Doc I believe it to be lack of sleep have been getting around five hours of sleep sometimes a little less while working at the minimum ten hour days at work...
Sleep contributes to muscle growth, recovery, fat loss, mental alertness--lots of good stuff. I'm on a personal crusade to get more sleep. It's hard to change long-held habits.
CorlessJohnJ wrote:I make my body do what I want. Not the other way around.
Well, up to a point. Your body is the only one you will get, and if you don't meet it's needs, it will let you down!

CorlessJohnJ
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Twitching muscles

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
CorlessJohnJ wrote:Doc I believe it to be lack of sleep have been getting around five hours of sleep sometimes a little less while working at the minimum ten hour days at work...
Sleep contributes to muscle growth, recovery, fat loss, mental alertness--lots of good stuff. I'm on a personal crusade to get more sleep. It's hard to change long-held habits.
CorlessJohnJ wrote:I make my body do what I want. Not the other way around.
Well, up to a point. Your body is the only one you will get, and if you don't meet it's needs, it will let you down!
There just doesnt seem to be enough time in the day Doc.

There is always so much to do not enough time...

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: Twitching muscles

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:56 am

Well, there's exactly enough time for the important things!

Sounds philosophical. I believe that, but it's a "do as I say, not as I do" sort of thing.


Post Reply